Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modric signs new 6 year contract

Options
  • 30-05-2010 2:42pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Link
    The Club is delighted to announce that Luka Modric has signed a new six-year contract which runs until 2016.
    Speaking about his new contract and future ambitions, Luka said, "Tottenham Hotspur gave me my chance in the Premier League and I want to go on to achieve great success here with them. Yes, there have been enquiries from other big clubs, but I have no interest in going anywhere. Last season's Top 4 finish was an indication of where we are as a Club and I feel I can continue to improve and go on to achieve everything I want to at Spurs."
    The Croatia midfielder arrived at White Hart Lane from Dinamo Zagreb in July, 2008 on the back of a starring role with his country in the European Championships and having played a big part in Dinamo's three successive league title triumphs.
    The 24-year-old playmaker has gone on to establish himself as a key player in Harry Redknapp's side with impressive displays on the left flank and in central midfield, clocking up a total of 77 appearances in our colours and scoring eight times including a memorable winner against Chelsea at the Lane in March 2009.

That's great news and is a solid sign that we can now hold onto our best players even if the big boys are sniffing around at them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Not a spurs fan myself but have to say its great that you's are keeping hold of him for a while. Quality player IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

6 years!! That's an unusually long contract but brilliant for us. Good stuff Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Best bit of business so far from Harry 6 years is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dooshbag1970

We are tying down a lot of the top players into long term contracts. Great work by the Tottenham boardroom. I think Modders is going to have a great 2010/11 season (and hopefully 5/6 more!!). He had to learn the style and speed of the english game in his first season and then got that terrible injury in his second season. Top player, but I feel we have still to see his best with more consistant displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

As I said at the end of the season, our biggest target was to keep all our current stars, and this is another step towards that. Good news.

• Advertisement

I wonder will he be working on his shooting this summer like Rooney worked on his headers last summer could make a huge difference to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

if modric learns how to shoot then he can be one of the best midfielders in the preimier league

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't be too caught up with six years, seems to me that it's the club looking down the line for a future moneybags move.

I'm delighted that it's a middle finger up to the "big clubs" who think they can just swoop in and use us like a feeder club.

He goes by players like there not there and does all the hard work and then either hits a weak shot or tries to hit it too hard he would be one of the very best if he worked onhis shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

will be a spurs player for 10/11 good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Modric was bril (at Wembley during the 3-2 classic vitory over a Calamity Carson era England)&during euro 2008;he ran Croatia's group games before disappearing to the periphery for q-final with Turkey.He hasn't replicated that level with any consistency since.He is lightweight in away games&has erratic finishing.If he had the consistency of a top,top player he would be at the likes of Chelsea.Still a player I enjoy watching as technical,creative midfielders are like golddust in the prem.His goal against Everton in the league when he combines with his fellow Croats, Corluka&Kranjcar was one of the seasons highlights.
    Despite not supporting Spurs,I hope ye can reach group stages of Champ Lge&push on in the prem as it's crying out for a change to ''the established order'' of top trio of United,Chelsea&Arsenal in situ since 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great news for Spurs.:)

Advertisement