Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sagen DTR 94500 - Users Forum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you tried to tune in non Freesat channels,Am I right in thinking you can't go to these channels directly by typing in the channel number.
    Is it Astra only or can you use it on other satellite's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Cork45,

Yes, I I tried adding some FTA channels yesterday but the scan didn't manage to find any to add. Only had a quick go so will spend a bit more time trying to figure out the ways to do it when I get a chance.

How do you find your box? Any comments good or bad?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I don't have one Ben I'm just curious about them as I've never had a good experience of a Sagem product.

Cork45 and Dixiefly,

There is another thread comparing the Humax Foxsat HDR 320G to the Sagem DTR 94500 and the summary the OP came up with is:

The advantages of the Humax over the Sagem seem to be:-

* It's a better made machine in terms of build quality
    * It's around a while so any bugs etc are well ironed out
    * It's got a nicer user interface than the Sagem
    * The LED display on the Humax box itself displays channel name rather than just the channel number on the Sagem
    * It's got a nicer remote control that the Sagem which is much cheaper feeling
    * It's quiet. Some people have reported that when the Sagem is running a little while it starts to buzz VERY loudly.

The advantages of the Sagem DTR 94500 over the Humax seem to be:-

* It's cheaper by about €50
    * It's got a 500G hard drive rather than 320G
    * The Sagem has the possibility of Picture in Picture
    * The Sagem can play the BBC iPlayer if you can find a work around to mask your Irish IP address.

I don't have any experience of the Humax so can't compare directly but the above seem to be a reasonable summary of various discussions on other sites and reviews etc

In relation to the Sagem being noisy I have to say I encountered that problem & reported it to John Mc in Richersounds who got Kenny to check their own in shop device and with other customers none of which had the problem. Kenny rang me and suggested I move the box from it's current location in case it's proximity to another device (amp or DVD player) may be causing it to over heat. I have to say I was sceptical but I moved it and bingo the noisy fan is no more so kudos to Kenny and Richersounds.

Ben

So unfortunately for me this is why this thread may become useful to other Sagem DTR 94500 users.

I'm connecting my Sagem to an Onkyo TX-SR875 Amp via HDMI cable and through the Amp to my Panasonic Vierra TH-50PY80EY via HDMI also and I'm having problems.

Sometimes when I switch to the Amps VCR/DVR input which the Sagem is set up on the amp returns "no signal" even though the Sagem is powered up and other times it returns a "HDMI Throughput" signal and everything is hunky dory on the Panny. Sometimes turning everything off and back on again (TV, AMP and Sagem) will rectify the problem and somethings not. At the moment I can't get the Onkyo to recognise the signal from the Sagem at all.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong much appreciated.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

BenEadir wrote: »

The advantages of the Sagem DTR 94500 over the Humax seem to be:-

* The Sagem can play the BBC iPlayer if you can find a work around to mask your Irish IP address.

Both units do iPlayer if you access using a uk ip address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Martin_F wrote: »
    Both units do iPlayer if you access using a uk ip address.

Hi Martin, do you know how to work around accessing a Uk IP address? Perhaps you could share? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Anybody get the Picture in Picture working yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

Hi Martin, do you know how to work around accessing a Uk IP address? Perhaps you could share? :)

Sorry - I've not bothered looking into it myself yet. From a PC it is easy to access iPlayer via a free or paid uk proxy service - i.e. you sign up with an account to the proxy - and when you connect via this service to iPlayer you have a uk ip address - I say easy - but it is also something I've not bothered to actually do. I'm not sure how easy it is to setup something similar for the Freesat boxes. I'd say someone on boards must have looked into it.

Be aware also that if you sign up to a proxy service, you will lose your RTE player on the PC.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any thoughts on the problem I'm having connecting the Sagem to the Onkyo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

BenEadir wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on the problem I'm having connecting the Sagem to the Onkyo?

I don't have a sagem, but here's some thoughts:

Have you tried a different input(s) on the AMP, and do you get the same result?

Did you try a different HDMI cable?

Do you have the AMP HDMI passthrough option enabled to the TV when the Amp is not on, so you can still use Sagem and TV? Perhaps try turning that off?

What order is each device powered on? I think I normally do screen 1st, then Amp, then Sat box, or perhaps it's the other way (can't 100% recall as my remote does it for me :o).

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I don't have a sagem, but here's some thoughts:

Have you tried a different input(s) on the AMP, and do you get the same result? - BenEadir - Yes

Did you try a different HDMI cable? - BenEadir - Yes

Do you have the AMP HDMI passthrough option enabled to the TV when the Amp is not on, so you can still use Sagem and TV? Perhaps try turning that off? BenEadir - Not sure what that is. Do you mean that the signal from the Sagem box can pass through the amp to the TV without the Amp being turned on?

What order is each device powered on? I think I normally do screen 1st, then Amp, then Sat box, or perhaps it's the other way (can't 100% recall as my remote does it for me :o). BenEadir - Sagem is left on 100% of the time to record programmes etc. Generally Amo is turned on first then TV. I've noticed however that if I have the TV turned off I can switch HDMI inputs now problem and the Sagem kicks out sound but when I then turn the TV on the selected input automatically switches to a different selection (normally an unused "Dock" selection" and when I manually awitch back to the Input the Sagem is on I once again get the "No Signal" message with no sound and no picture.

This is REALLY freaking me out!! :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

BenEadir - Not sure what that is. Do you mean that the signal from the Sagem box can pass through the amp to the TV without the Amp being turned on?

Yes I believe it can, for situations where you want to use the Sagem and TV without Amp but still passthrough the signal. I think its called "Tv Control", should be in the manual possibly under advanced settings?

BenEadir - Sagem is left on 100% of the time to record programmes etc. Generally Amo is turned on first then TV. I've noticed however that if I have the TV turned off I can switch HDMI inputs now problem and the Sagem kicks out sound but when I then turn the TV on the selected input automatically switches to a different selection (normally an unused "Dock" selection" and when I manually awitch back to the Input the Sagem is on I once again get the "No Signal" message with no sound and no picture.

Have you tried different inputs on the TV?

Does the Sagem work with the TV directly (no Amp) ? If yes could you feed the Amp sound via Spdif and video via HDMI direct to TV?

Did the Amp/Tv work with a prior sat-box? If yes this probably points to the Sagem.

Have you tried connecting the Sagem to the Amp via an alternative connection (not HDMI) to see if the issue still exists?

Are all devices on latest firmware?

After this all I can think of is Sagem customer support or back to Richersounds to see what they can help with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem for the past week or so with the 500gb model - I have it set to go to standby after 3 hours and turning it back on, I lose access to the EPG, library etc - in fact any OSD.

I have to unplug and plug back in to get the OSD back (even the volume gauge)

Anyone else?

Thanks

Hi guys,

Has anyone upgraded to s/w V1.08? My box updated this afternoon from V1.4 (I think!!). Does anyone know what the update fixes or adds to the mix?

On another note, is anyone having a problem with the Sagem being recognised by their AV Amp? I have the Sagem running through an Onkyo TX-SR875 and although the Onkyo recognises and rocesses the Sagem signal correctly first time its connected but when I switch to another HDMI source on the Onkyo (e.g. Blu Ray player) and try to switch back to the Sagem the Onkyo won't pick up the signal from the Sagem and the only solution seems to be to power off the Sagem at the socket and turn it back on again. I've tried lots of different HDMI inputs and cables etc without success and the Onkyo only has the problem with the Sagem, it switches between several other HDMI devices no problem.

Anyone else having a problem like this?

Ben

Thanks Eddie,

The general answer to your questions is that I've tried most or all the combinations and suggestions you've made without success. The Onkyo will switch bewteen different HDMI input devices except the Sagem which would point to the Sagem. I've tried the Sagem on different inputs and using different HDMI cables without success but if the Onkyo recognises the signal from the Sagem when the Sagem is initially powered on but doesn't see it when I try to switch back to it does it mean the Sagem sign is somehow at fault or the Onkyo doesn't like/recognise it for some reason?

I have tried connecting the Sagem direct to the TV and switched from it's HDMI input to an AV input of another device and back again no problem so the TV is happy to initially recognise and return to the Sagem signal. :confused:

I think I'll have to get onto Zebra Distributors who distribute Onkyo in Ireland as the company I purchased it from (Alliance Electric) aer no longer in business.

Regards,

Ben

cork45 wrote: »
    Have you tried to tune in non Freesat channels,Am I right in thinking you can't go to these channels directly by typing in the channel number.
    Is it Astra only or can you use it on other satellite's.

Cork45, did you succeed in adding non Freesat channels? If so is there a list of channels which we can add that you can link to and any tips you have on how best to do it on the Sagem?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bigmickmack

In the menu go to receiver settings and then add non freesat channels.
    Put in the frequency, Polararity,symbol rate and bit error rate. Then search. Any channels will be added from ch 3000 upwards. To view these channels go to 101 and toggle down.

BigMickMack,

Where do I get the frequencies, symbol rates etc for adding non FreeSat channels? Is there a list of channels per satellite? Is this a list of the available channels? http://www.wildsat.com/astra.htm If so can we really tune in RTE One by keying in Transponder # 43 Frequency 10744H??? That sounds too good to be true. I didn't think RTE could be freely picked up by Satellite. :confused:

Ben

• Advertisement

Beneadir
    I use a site called Lyngsat
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html
    Follow this link and you will get all frequencies etc.
    You can punch in the RTE frequencies but you will not get anything as RTE is encrypted and only available through a Sky box and subscription.
    Once you load all the channels you want you can sort and edit them.

Thanks BigMickMack,

Are there any particular channels (in addition to standard FreeSat channels) that you think are worth adding?

Ben

Beneadir
    Personally I added Sky News and UTV as it sometimes it shows different films.

All,

Is anyone else having a problem with the Sagem being very noisy? I assumed I had just received a box with a badly fitted fan so John Mc arranged a replacement but the replacement is exactly the same. If I sit in my living room with a Panasonic TV, Onkyo DR-875, Panasonic Blu Ray player, UPC HD+ DVR and a Wii all powered on and muted (where applicable) there is near silence, none of them make a whirring sound. If I then power on the Sagem, select a channel and press mute it makes and continues to make a loud whirring sound which impinges on the sound quality of whatever is being watched. It's like a little vuvuzela!! :eek:

I'm sure John Mc will give me a refund but I like the box and would prefer to keep it. I've tried moving it to it's own very well ventilated location without success.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I losing my mind or did I just get two bad builds in a row?

Ben

It's noisy alright especially when you turn off the tv and head for bed. The noise of the receiver reminds you to turn it off. I'd say you'd still get your refund although the retailer might try and convince you that a solution will be provided with a future software upgrade ;).

Thanks Manster,

I really just want to suss out if a) I unluckily got two defective boxes or b) I'm being too sensitive and the 'noise' which I think is way too high and unacceptable is acceptable to everyone else.

Ben

BenEadir
    Yes there is a low level of noise when I turn everything off but under normal viewing conditions I cannot hear the fan.

Thanks BigMickMack,

I'm obviously being a bit sensitive so, and I've often been accused of being deaf!!

On a seperate note can I ask what signal quality/strength people are getting? I was just watching the WC highlights on ITV HD and it was very jumpy/blocky. I checked the signal information and I'm getting a constant 69% or 70% signal strength and 100% signal quality. Is that poor, fair, good or very good relative to everyone else?

I'm new to FreeSat/Satellite so I don't know what's acceptable and whats not.

Ben

BenEadir
    On my receiver I have 68% signal and 100% quality on ITV HD and it has never blinked.

• Advertisement

new problem only occured last night. the letters on the menu page are mixed up. for example the letter i is being replaced with an r. so instead of guide i've gurde. lrbrary, settrngs etc. anyone else have this bug?

Hi all,

I've a new problem with my machine. When I power it on the LCD display displays "lnit" and I can't get any signal through to the TV.

Any idea what this is?

Is there a way to do a factory reset without using the onscreen menu?

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi folks,

Mine died this evening - at 18:50 exactly as per the clock. - did this happen to anyone else? Wouldn't turn on (changed batteries in remote, tried to do it manually) so had to power off at the mains and when it came back it opened on the re-install page. Tried a few times but only got the re-install Had to re-install from scratch thus losing all of my recorded material (I was at 71% of disc space used!); then it froze again as I was trying to see was anything saved (it wasn't) on my recorded list. Tried powering on and off again but it's not picking up anything now except the red power light. Checked all cables internally and externally and they're all intact and inserted. Any ideas?

Gutted - that's a lot of Babestation lost forever - THAT LAST PART IS A JOKE, I am trying to retain a sense of humour throughout this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ingalway

I got the Sagem recently, was very impressed but then started having a problem. When I go into the Library to watch a recording the small screen to the right would be black instead of showing the recording, when I then go back to live TV that screen is blank and the only way to get TV back in to switch off the Sagem at the mains. The first time I went back into the Library and could watch the recordings but yesterday after trying several times, really annoying as I have to power off at the mains every time to get back to a TV picture, I still could not watch the recordings. I did a factory reset but nothing changed so had to do a hard disk format so I lost all my recordings. It's working again but I'm worried the same thing will happen again. Did this happen to anyone else? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

thanks guys.
    Was about to order one of these, but i think i'll give it a miss after reading here.
    I'll go with the foxsat.

Advertisement