Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using Hard Drive on 2 Xboxes

• 30-05-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an xbox 360 arcade for the spare room so I can still play while the missus is watching desperate housewives.
    I already have an elite in the living room.
    Question is can I swap and use the elite hard drive (120 gb) between the 2 consoles without any major hassle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Messy, but possible.

You see if you have any games installed you will have to reinstall them when you move the drive to a new xbox. They will play off a disc without problem though if the noise doesnt bother you. I prefer to have the games installed as they load faster and noise is significantly reduced.

A recent update allows you to store your profile and saves on a usb memory key and move it between xboxs at will.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have done this and its worked for me (I have two elites, but I doubt that will make much different). I cant tell you what problems you might face but it didnt give me many problems at all really...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

calex71 wrote: »
    Messy, but possible.

You see if you have any games installed you will have to reinstall them when you move the drive to a new xbox. They will play off a disc without problem though if the noise doesnt bother you. I prefer to have the games installed as they load faster and noise is significantly reduced.

Really? That's weird if there installed onto the HDD! Didn't know that at all..

You should have no problems otherwise OP I had 2 xbox's for awhile and did this loads.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dazftw wrote: »
    Really? That's weird if there installed onto the HDD! Didn't know that at all..

You should have no problems otherwise OP I had 2 xbox's for awhile and did this loads.

Yeah total pain in back side , i know installing only takes 10 minutes or less but still annoying considering you still need the dvd in the tray to play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Thanks for the replies lads.
    I'm still a bit confused though :confused: Will I need to reinstall a game every time I switch the hard drive between consoles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

moz wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.
    I'm still a bit confused though :confused: Will I need to reinstall a game every time I switch the hard drive between consoles?

I'm pretty sure as long as you have your game saves, profile and games all saved your xbox HD and have your consoles connected to XBL, then you will have no issues with switching between the consoles.

If your second console isn't connected to XBL, then you may have problems accessing some of your downloaded content.

You won't need to re-install your games to the HD each time you switch consoles.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I swap my hard- drive between 2 consoles every day or two. Never had any problem. Always have it connected to live

Ta mate, just what I wanted to hear :).

I picked up an elite for small money on adverts. Reinstalled all of my games on the new hard drive and installed my game saves and profile on a usb memory stick. Makes playing on either console dead easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ive a 20gb xbox in my room with my hard drive in it.
    i pop that hard drive out and into the elite in the sitting room with no bother at all.the games installed to the hard drive so your not having to install it every time.
    i never once yet had a problem changing around between them and i do it on a daily basis nearly

• Advertisement
Advertisement