Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 'sticky' situation (pup vomiting)

Options
  • 30-05-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Our 10 month old retriever chewed up a stick (I didn't get it off him in time) yesterday and got sick very early this morning and then again this afternoon so I'm assuming early morning was yesterdays dinner and this afternoon was his breakfast from this morning. Both times there was bits of the chewed up stick in it he's in great form otherwise though - doesn't have the runs or anything. Are we best to just fast him until tomorrow - I'm assuming if we feed him anything else he'll just bring it up? I got some Diarsanyl and RC sensitivity control after the last time he had the runs so we'd have it on hand if we needed it. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't have worried at just the stick bits coming back up, but two meals returning quite some time after ingestion could hint at a blockage.
    I would keep feeding him as normal and if more food comes back up again, I'd take him to the vet to check for blockages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

go to the vet now , at 10 months a pup can go down hill quickly , it's better safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You'd be surprised the amount they can throw up after eating sticks etc.
    My Daisys a sod for eating random crap out the back, she loves pegs, bits of wood, anything. Every so often she'll throw up with bits of wood in it, occasionally she's pooped with bits of wood in it but is usually ok. She throws up crap if she eats too much of it.

If your pup is drinking water and still normal self/full of energy I'd try keeping things normal see how he is tomorrow. If he's not drinking or eating / lethargic then I'd bring him to the vet.
    That's just me now, if you feel you want to go to the vet asap, then do for your own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

go to the vet now , at 10 months a pup can go down hill quickly , it's better safe than sorry
    Seriously thats such a generic answer for every question posted on here :rolleyes:

I agree with Starpants. If shes lively and eating/drinking ok then i wouldnt be that worried. The problem with eating wood is it can cause obstructions in both the oesophagus and intestines. Just keep an eye as theres literally nothing you can do unless a splinter decides not to "exit"!:p

Moral of the story:dont throw sticks,let them eat sticks or eat anything of the woody variety ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

star-pants wrote: »
    My Daisys a sod for eating random crap out the back, she loves pegs, bits of wood, anything. Every so often she'll throw up with bits of wood in it, occasionally she's pooped with bits of wood in it but is usually ok. She throws up crap if she eats too much of it.
    /QUOTE]

My old dog chewed up a blue welly and then was pooing blue for a day :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well a nice wake up call at 2:00am where he puked up LOADS of bits and pieces - wood, string and what i'm hoping is one of my dads laytex gloves (he wears them when he's working on the car) and not something else made out of laytex :eek::eek: GROSS!!!! If you're familar with a hair/grass ball like a cat would bring up it was like that. Then he wee'd in the hall for good measure! This morning he pooped in the kitchen and it was very dry so I'm working from home today to keep an eye on him - he hasn't had an accident in the house like this since he was about 3 months old - he was pretty much toilet trained since then or the odd time he's had the runs and didn't make it to the back on time.
    He's hald half a can of RC sensitivity control (i didn't want to overload him) this morning so if he brings it up I'll take him to the vets straight away. I'm reluctant to bring him straight over because he's been having problems with his legs and has been in and out over the last few months - he hates it now and gets very defensive and has to be muzzled so I'd rather not stress him unless I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You should feed him boiled chicken & rice until this passes. Dogs stomachs are more sensitive than you'd think. And they can get upset quite easily.
    If he keeps it down, he should be ok. If he's getting sick right after eating - the vomit looks like it wasn't even digested (regurgitated). Then it might be a blockage. But if it's being digested and coming up looking like barf, then it's prob just an upset tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Right he got half a can this morning and then the other half at lunchtime and so far so good! He's crying for food now thou but I'll wait a while just in case because it was approx 8 hours after eating that he got sick yesterday/this morning.

Update : he's fine - didn't get sick at all yesterday! I'll soak his food for a day or two so it's easier on his tummy to be safe thou!:D

Advertisement