Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle fell out of window

Options
  • 30-05-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Just have to let you all know, that dogs DO jump/fall out of windows, so be careful. I have a beagle bitch, Judy who is just over two years old, and last week my daughter yelled at me to say that Judy was out in the front garden.

Well, impossible, as front door was closed,and there is absolutely no possible way to get out from the back garden. Judy came in, right as rain, with only a very very slight limp. At this point I went upstairs, and to my horror, discovered that the small bedroom door was open, and so was the window :mad: I then discover that daughter had heard a thud, as if a book has been dropped on the ground.

I can only assume that Judy must have climbed up onto the bedside locker, and either slipped or jumped down onto the slanting roof bit, and then slipped or jumped again onto the ground. About 9 or 10 feet ish :eek: :eek:

That dog must have extra lives, as it is the second time she could have been killed or injured - the first time she was 6 months old and nearly electrocuted herself chewing the vacuum cleaner wire, which I somehow yanked out of her mouth,all she suffered there was a small burn to the inside of her mouth, I wet myself :( from the sheer terror and lost my voice.

She of course has been checked by the vet. I need to know if she most likely slipped, or are dogs so dim that they would jump??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

My dog jumped off an eight foot wall cos he was barking at a passing van. He didn't know there was a drop on the other side of the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Thats terrible, glad to hear shes doing ok though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Maybe she is depressed and decided enough was enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

She could have quite happily jumped out the window. We had a sheepdog bitch who would regularly jump up on/off walls and rooves that were about 10 ft high and no matter how much we tried to prevent her from doing it (locking her out of the area, putting things in her way so that she couldn't jump/climb/scramble up, etc.) there was no stopping her. The only thing that stopped her was being heavy in pup (i.e. about 2 week before giving birth!). Then she'd only scramble up and then bark at us to lift her down because she realised she couldn't jump being that heavily pregnant!!!

She was lucky that she never had any injuries from it, but I think the fact that she was so agile and carefully chose her spots so that she could creep down a little, helped, but still not a very pleasant thing to see/have happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs would jump off cliffs too ...they have no sense (of height)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

dragona wrote: »
    Just have to let you all know, that dogs DO jump/fall out of windows, so be careful. I have a beagle bitch, Judy who is just over two years old, and last week my daughter yelled at me to say that Judy was out in the front garden.

Well, impossible, as front door was closed,and there is absolutely no possible way to get out from the back garden. Judy came in, right as rain, with only a very very slight limp. At this point I went upstairs, and to my horror, discovered that the small bedroom door was open, and so was the window :mad: I then discover that daughter had heard a thud, as if a book has been dropped on the ground.

I can only assume that Judy must have climbed up onto the bedside locker, and either slipped or jumped down onto the slanting roof bit, and then slipped or jumped again onto the ground. About 9 or 10 feet ish :eek: :eek:

That dog must have extra lives, as it is the second time she could have been killed or injured - the first time she was 6 months old and nearly electrocuted herself chewing the vacuum cleaner wire, which I somehow yanked out of her mouth,all she suffered there was a small burn to the inside of her mouth, I wet myself :( from the sheer terror and lost my voice.

She of course has been checked by the vet. I need to know if she most likely slipped, or are dogs so dim that they would jump??

the poor little thing.. glad she is ok..

my dog fell off dun laoghaire pier when he was a pup... i nearly died...
    he was grand got a fright... but grand... he's 5 now and would do it again given have the chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My Beagle ran and jumped straight out of the window in the front room last week, he's one and is used to been in that room with the window open and never did anything like that before. Window is closed when he's in the room now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Yes dogs are that stupid, i had one that leaped out a moving car window, she was fine. Haven't trusted her fully since then, she's a little brat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Aw, I'm glad she's ok.

One of my small dogs fell down the stairs before, landing on tiles really hard, and I thought she was dead, but she just jumped up and was fine.

My dogs used to climb up the fence when we moved in and then fall over the top! :rolleyes: but they gave up after a few days.

Dogs just are that stupid!

And I had a little kitten who ended up outside and the only window open was upstairs (we accidentally left the door to the room open), but he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Glad to know (not really) that its not just my dog that is stupid. I am scared she will do it again, I walk around closing doors and windows..... y'all reckon she probably jumped and not slipped then :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Poor dog!
    I read once that various armies have dogs parachuted in with their soldiers.The dogs dont become phased by the earthbound trip as they dont really have a good sense of height.Whilst parachuting it is reported they relax and enjoy the view!

She could have slipped, or jumped, or just walked straight out without knowing how far it was. Best to try to avoid it as much as possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

One of my dogs (the 4 legged one) jumped over a wall that was low on our side high on the other recently. I knew he had looked over the wall in the past and seen the steep drop so I naively assumed he knew better than to jump it.:rolleyes: But for whatever reason two weeks ago he leaped over it and went down the other side. I ran over to wall to see him launching himself up to jump back over. He was very nearly making it so I put my hands down for him and he jumped into my arms and I pulled him over. The next day we walked on the other side of the wall and it's about 11/12ft high! :eek:

I just can't believe he jumped so far down, nevermind straight back up and nearly over it. He was extremely excited when we got to the spot too. He kept prancing and looking from me to the top of the wall as if he was saying, "you go up top and I'll jump up to you again!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cripes, glad the dog is ok. You can get kid locks for windows where you can have the window open a certain amount but not enough for a pet or kid to get out of.

Reading all the posts am glad I haven't an upstairs or any walls just fencing lol. Strange though our middle dog will jump up on top of something in the garden but looks at you for help to get down sometimes.
    Our youngest dog when he was smaller would look at you to help him off the couch he'd even bark. He knew it was too high for him at the time, now he's bigger he's well able though..well able to chew it too hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

When I had a kid we had our neighbour's labrador (back in the days when a dog belonged to whoever felt like taking it for a walk) down at the old swimming baths in Bray. He'd run up the stairs into the top of one of the old bath buildings. He had a sniff about, then decided to jump the wall to get out - the wall was about four feet on his side and about seriously about 15 feet to the ground. Up and over he went, landed hard, got up, shook himself off, and probably had a bloody awful headache for the rest of the day.

I think cats get more panicked if they're up high because they're excellent judges of distance. Ask anyone who's ever been sucked in to trying to get a cat out of a tree...

Oh and we have a picnic table that all the dogs love to take a nap on top of, but when I had my first Cav puppy she learnt how to jump up there when she was only three months old (she was raised with cats and definitely thought she was one) but she fell off there a good few times, landing on a concrete patio, and hit her head a few times (Looking back, I shouldn't have let her on the table but I was just a kid) Of course she jumped up and shook herself off and was fine. I love when dogs can do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

When we had our Border Terrier he was very "ball focused" & once chased a child's football off the cliffs at Hook Head on a windy day. We really thought it was the end of him but mercifully he landed on a small ledge about 5ft down :) His absolute favourite game was a walk along sand dunes, having his ball thrown over the edge & launching himself into space after it!

LisaO wrote: »
    When we had our Border Terrier he was very "ball focused" & once chased a child's football off the cliffs at Hook Head on a windy day. We really thought it was the end of him but mercifully he landed on a small ledge about 5ft down :) His absolute favourite game was a walk along sand dunes, having his ball thrown over the edge & launching himself into space after it!

He was so lucky! :)

That reminds me of when I was a kid and after going trick or treating me and my friend were in her room upstairs and she threw an apple out the window (mad at people giving her apples!) and her Jack Russell nearly jumped out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

morganafay wrote: »
    That reminds me of when I was a kid and after going trick or treating me and my friend were in her room upstairs and she threw an apple out the window (mad at people giving her apples!) and her Jack Russell nearly jumped out the window!

Like the film "Theres something about Mary". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Stupid dog is sniffing by the window she jumped out of - I reckon she wants another go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

dragona wrote: »

i taught mine was the only one. we were all sitting having a cup of tea in the kitchen, next we hear this crunch sound and my mother was like 'what has she eaten now' ... our lovely bold scottish terrior cut the wire from the baby monitor in half with her teeth and there wasnt a bother on her!!!

I had a cat who destroyed about 5 phone chargers! (even ones that were plugged in) . . . and they costed like €25 for each one!

Advertisement