Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter Ireland Committee and Function

Options
  • 30-05-2010 4:02pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

In the light of the Evo qualifiers debacle I'm sure community members believe that decisive action is required to ensure a repeat scenario never occurs.

Decision making up till now has been hindered by indecision due most of the decision making revolving around voting among the community. This is problamatic for two reasons. Length of time required to vote and unclear/close results leaving the decision making no better off than before the vote.

Since community members have expressed themsleves as weary of voting I have decided to take it onself to get a committee up and running and outline is functions.

The 5 committe members are.
    Azza.
    Chopperbyrne.
    Doctor Doom.
    Jimeatsmenu.
    Orim.

I feel these people are the most active in the scene and have the greatest oversight on to whats going on.

Function and ablities of the committee:
    The committee members will not have titles or offical roles. All committe members are equal in position. They will dicuss and decide on issues that are of interest to the fighting game community in Ireland.

So if for example the committee wants to pursue obtaining sponsorship for an event they will dicuss it among themsleves and agree which member will try to obtain sponsorship.

Other roles include the date, pricing and format of Inferno tournaments. What to do with community money left over.

The committee will have a face to face meeting after each Inferno tournament to discuss community matters and what not.

All committee members will be required to use a form of online voice communication software to have regular online discussions. The software to be used will be decided on shortly.

The community can bring any issues releating to fighting games it wants to the attention of the committee. An internal discussion will then be held by the committee to decide on the issue.

The committee can vote internally on deciding if a committee members needs to be replaced for whatever reasons.

A community vote will be held once every six months to decide if their should be a change in the committee members.

Non Inferno Tournaments
    The committee does not have an monopoly over fighting game tournaments in Ireland of course. Community members and non community members are free to run there own tournaments where and when they choose. However we strongly recommend contacting the committee if a community member wishes to run of significant size and scope. We would be able to assist in the preparation of such an event. Again this is not a requirement, just a recommendation.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's pretty obvious I will be supporting this.

I think it's needed. I also think there's a diverse spread of opinions in the five names above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Good thread, possible sticky?

If the community/member of the community has an idea or motive they would like to express or put forward, I take it we make our case to one of the committee?

Also shouldn't the committee really consult the community on certain things before a decision is made? Like a sort of democracy thing. Most in favor etc, pretty much voting like we have/had before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I agree with the comittee shoices Azza, but the people you have names, (As i said no problem) only play Street Fighter. Last i checked this was a fighting game community, not a street fighter community. How about electing a Sub-Comittee that have say 50% of the authority of the main people you have chosen, but also have a say in what games will be at Day Of Champs or maybe some other form of Ranking Battles.

I'm under no illusion that 99% of our community are only there for street fighter 4, but as a community we should be working together to spread the word about games like BlazBlue, GGXX, Tekken 6 (Jason or Mantys), Garou (Chopper could help with that one) ST (Dreddy) 3s (Ramza), Melty Blood (Myself & Kiki), Soul Calibur 4(Merlin), Fatal Fury, KoF13 the list could go on.

That said though i find it unfair that people were so fast to diss BlazBlue when it came out as just being hit, why? Because it wasn't Street Fighter? Because it was imbalanced? No excuses now that CS is coming out it's much more balanced. (Note: I am not judging peoples prefernces or taste)

If you (Azza) really want to concentrate on a Street Fighter community, then may i suggest breaking up the Fighting Games forum into sub forums for all the different, most popular games? Maybe getting a Sub-Cat Mod for each Category too. Theres too many people who could have a good say & could do work for their respected games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ramza wrote:
    If the community/member of the community has an idea or motive they would like to express or put forward, I take it we make our case to one of the committee?

Yup.
    Ramza wrote:
    Also shouldn't the committee really consult the community on certain things before a decision is made? Like a sort of democracy thing. Most in favor etc, pretty much voting like we have/had before

Its sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't. People where whinging about too many votes happening. I think the committee in general will gauge the communities opinion on topics, from reading threads on boards and IRC dicussions and move along the lines of what they feel the majority of the community wants. If there is some decission the community feel strongly about an issue then bring it to a committee member, who will explain the rational of a desicion if its not clear and if the community member still thinks another decision would be better he can have his idea discussed among the committee.

Kinda hard to place people in charge of certain games, think it's a moot point xinkai, but that's just my opinion. You can count me in that 1% so :pac:

How does dreddy get ST if I came 1st at DoC? :pac:

Not trying to go off topic but it's a little irregular

I think other games that aren't as popular in terms of present day scenes don't need to be addressed, it's all SFIV in terms of scene, promotion and community development. Guys will still happily play the games they like at XGC regardless, so don't think there is a point in heading people on games that wont be at the forefront of competitive and comminity etc.

In terms of seriousness and practicality SFIV is the name of the game. Other tournaents in other games are just as cool/fun, and Orim pretty much has it covered with DoC. People are welcome to host any tournaments they want, so again I think the sub committee is a moot point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ramza wrote: »
    Good thread, possible sticky?

Naturally if someone has an idea they can run with it themselves or they can come to a member of the committee and say what do you think about this? It all depends on the idea and what would be needed. In fact this should not stifle anyone that wants to do anything.

I can't speak for the other committee members but I will ensure that community is aware of and is consulted for every decision possible. However when it comes down to making a decision, the voting is not cutting the mustard imo and we need a firmer approach that a smaller dedicated group can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No offense Xinkai, but I've helped organise and run a Tekken comp and am thinking of another one and Dan has organised the DoC and is organising another one, so it really doesn't matter what our preference is.

Also, nobody objected to your BlazBlue tournament and to be honest I'm surprised you haven't done another one as the numbers were pretty good.

It's also quite clearly stated in the opening post that we would not have a monopoly on what tournaments can be held, just that we would do everything we can to help better the community, which would no doubt lead to us offering support to any tournament held in Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

From the boards point of view xinkai, you'd need to prove that all these games have the posting numbers to deserve a sub forum, which clearly right now they don't.

In all likelihood these forums would be given to established mods or trusted users, so they'd prob end up being my and azza's forums anyway tbh.

I would consider it a goal for the committee to try and help other games get up and running myself at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I couldn't agree more with the names Azza. Well done team-mate for taking the bull by the horns!
    Xinkai wrote: »
    I'm under no illusion that 99% of our community are only there for street fighter 4, but as a community we should be working together to spread the word about games like BlazBlue, GGXX, Tekken 6 (Jason or Mantys), Garou (Chopper could help with that one) ST (Dreddy) 3s (Ramza), Melty Blood (Myself & Kiki), Soul Calibur 4(Merlin), Fatal Fury, KoF13 the list could go on.

Orim has already proven that he is more than willing and capable of promoting the other games by running the day of champions and there will be more of them.

He may not be very good at the games :pac: but he is getting them out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Good idea lads. Best of luck with it!

Xinkai wrote: »
    I agree with the comittee shoices Azza, but the people you have names, (As i said no problem) only play Street Fighter. Last i checked this was a fighting game community, not a street fighter community. How about electing a Sub-Comittee that have say 50% of the authority of the main people you have chosen, but also have a say in what games will be at Day Of Champs or maybe some other form of Ranking Battles.

That said though i find it unfair that people were so fast to diss BlazBlue when it came out as just being hit, why? Because it wasn't Street Fighter? Because it was imbalanced? No excuses now that CS is coming out it's much more balanced. (Note: I am not judging peoples prefernces or taste)

If you (Azza) really want to concentrate on a Street Fighter community, then may i suggest breaking up the Fighting Games forum into sub forums for all the different, most popular games? Maybe getting a Sub-Cat Mod for each Category too. Theres too many people who could have a good say & could do work for their respected games.

The 'Day of Champions' was from StreetFighter.ie which I presume is seperate from this issue.

This committee is labeled Street Fighter - will have a say in other events most likely considering the expertise behind it...but the main focus is Street Fighter which as you admit, is 99% of the community. I'm sure they will be on hand if other scenes take control for themselves - Chopperbyrne has run Tekken events for example and this crew will advise anyone.

No point diluting the forum either. If it was broken up, I would only check Street Fighter - but at least this way, I may stumble across something of interest that I wouldn't see as it's tucked away in another forum. If threads were being pushed off straight away all the time, then there would be a need but they aren't.

--- Apparently I type too slow and everything gets covered :S ---

🤪

• Advertisement

Xinkai wrote:

The Day of Champs is run by Orim and is not something the committe will concern itself with, in the same way we don't decide on tournaments down in Limerick etc. As far as I'm aware he will see what games are the most popular among the community and run tournaments for them.
    Xinkai wrote:

No other fighting game would justify a form to itself. It just would not have the activity to justify it. Don't want this form to end up like the RTS one.

animaX wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with the names Azza. Well done team-mate for taking the bull by the horns!

Orim has already proven that he is more than willing and capable of promoting the other games by running the day of champions and there will be more of them.

He may not be very good at the games :pac: but he is getting them out there

Yeah. Orim is taking on the task greatly, and also, if any issues arrise which are game specific (which they have, AE vs ST etc, or how games are run in a torunament environment, rules etc), Orim can consult respective people who are knowledgable on thsoe games (Xinkai/Voa for BB, me for 3s, etc etc). Just a simple convo is all that's needed, don't think we should split it into a sub committee and break the ease of communication and stuff. Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

No offense Xinkai, but I've helped organise and run a Tekken comp and am thinking of another one and Dan has organised the DoC and is organising another one, so it really doesn't matter what our preference is.

Also, nobody objected to your BlazBlue tournament and to be honest I'm surprised you haven't done another one as the numbers were pretty good.

I am putting nobody down i'm just putting ideas out there please don't get me wrong by that post!!!

Also i wanted to run another BB tournament back in may, but if you remember people were saying 'but there could be an inferno on that day nobody would take part' or something along those lines, but inferno = SF4...

Maybe if we got more people in charge of whatever games they want(?) we could do as everyone else does & hold more than 1 game, judging by XGC tournament time, we could do maybe 2-3 games?

Yeah but Xinkai in fairness if someone wants to take initiative and run a tournament for their own games they should go ahead and do that, like Orim is doing with DoC and like what you are doing with BB. I don't think charge is the right word, for example as you know I happily play a lot of 3S and ST at XGC, and if I wanted to host a tourney in these games I would do it, as far as I'm concerned for the games I play Orim has me covered so for me it's being done. Even though these games might not have as big as an attraction as SFIV today, it's still just as fun and just as viable. My point being that Inferno is for SFIV, and I don't think anything should clash with that day (on par with what me and Orim were talking about at DoC)

SFIV is really the main game of the commnity as far as I can see and the attraction of new players and promotion has been great. Not saying other games are inferior but today it wouldn't be as practical. People who prefer other games will gladly partake in tournaments and as we know DoC turnout was great.

So due to a scheduling conflict with Inferno, you just decided to not attempt to run the comp at all on another date?

I'd happily support a BlazBlue comp, but just don't schedule it for the first weekend of the month as that has been decided that it will be the date for Inferno from now on.

And DOC will most likely be the third weekend of every month (SSH That's not official yet)

Xinkai the point about your May tournament is that Blazblue (insert any other FG) can not compete with SF4. So you need to organise around this fact. It's a pain but it's something you have to accept. For example I will play in any BB tournament I can get to but if there is an SSF4 tournament on at the same time, I will drop BB to concentrate on SSF4.

The smaller games need gimmicks, hence DOC has 4 games on and the only way to win something is to compete in at least three of the games.

The committee has a varied interest in fighting games, in fact I don't think any member of the committee would put Street Fighter 4 as one of their favourites but we have accepted that Street Fighter 4 is the big game and it's one we need to work around. (You may mention that our favourite games are other Street Fighter/Capcom games but all those games suffer from the same issues as games like BB etc. )

Agree 100% Orim, exactly what I wanted to articulate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

good thread

edit: I should probably give the community funds to someone on the committee?

Yeah we will get it off you at the next Inferno. We will decide before then who will keep the funds in safe keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

"hey guys I want to host a small fighting game tournament in japan later in the year. itll be at a friend's house and we'll be playing Arcana Heart and Evil Zone... what do you mean you wont show up because its on at the same time as tougeki and you dont play any of the games im putting on, why should that matter?!" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Azza wrote: »
    In the light of the Evo qualifiers debacle I'm sure community members believe that decisive action is required to ensure a repeat scenario never occurs.

The 5 committe members are.
    Azza.
    Chopperbyrne.
    Doctor Doom.
    Jimeatsmenu.
    Orim.

Lots of sense in those names.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Names are fine with me, good post Azza.

I was just thinking, I know that this is for the whole country but seeing as how all the names are to my knowledge from the east of Ireland (Dublin and surrounding counties), perhaps a person from the North and West should be nominated as the "go to" reps of their respective communities, just in case anything ever comes up regional wise?

I don't know just a thought.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    snip

I think common sense will prevail in this regard.

Well Azza's from Westmeath, what more do you want? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I think common sense will prevail in this regard.
    Fair enough, just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Decision making up till now has been hindered by indecision due most of the decision making revolving around voting among the community. This is problamatic for two reasons. Length of time required to vote and unclear/close results leaving the decision making no better off than before the vote.

Can I just say a few things regarding this?

All decisions and so forth before now have been discussed at length on the forums with everything clearly outlined and everyone clearly informed on every aspect of ..everything.

The reason the Evo thing was a disaster was cause this was not done. It wasn't cause we didn't have a committee

It was because it was organised by a single person , with no feedback from the community and very little discussion on the forums.

If the Evo thing was organised the same way all our infernos had been done, it'd would have been fine.

No?

Also this is the 1st time I've gotten the impression that our threads and polls and such discussing things has been seen as a bad thing? When the very reason the Evo thing turned out so badly was cause we did not have our usual discussion and polls and such.

Basically I don't agree with impression your OP gives off saying the Evo thing proves our usual way of doing things is wrong and we need a committee so that it doesnt happen again .... when the very reason the evo thing turned out iffy was cause it was not done in our usual way.:confused:

Know what I mean?

Now that thats out of the way on to the actual committee thing itself.

I'm just going to be completely and utterly blunt here expressing whats on my mind, because **** it , it just cuts out a lot of the BS that can lead to misunderstandings:

I agree with all the names you've listed , I'd have listed pretty much the exact same names myself, just added a couple more .

As someone not on that list I've a few small concerns

Now don't get me wrong , I've no delusions of grandeur. I certainly don't think I should be on that list over anyone that's on there. I'm not the kinda guy that gets a kick from 'power or titles' you wouldn't see me making up random reasons why I should mod a forum , beg to get an @ in front of my name on the IRC channel or demand to be on the committee because I play a certain game or live in a certain place - I always made it clear when trying to get this forum that I did not want to be a mod, ultimately I know my place.

But before this thread as an active member, I always felt I had some input with regard to events and such. I could take part in discussions on things and express my opinion and felt part of things.

Now I'm excluded from all that since:
    They will dicuss and decide on issues that are of interest to the fighting game community in Ireland.

So if for example the committee wants to pursue obtaining sponsorship for an event they will dicuss it among themsleves and agree which member will try to obtain sponsorship.

Other roles include the date, pricing and format of Inferno tournaments. What to do with community money left over.

The committee will have a face to face meeting after each Inferno tournament to discuss community matters and what not.

All committee members will be required to use a form of online voice communication software to have regular online discussions. The software to be used will be decided on shortly.

The community can bring any issues releating to fighting games it wants to the attention of the committee. An internal discussion will then be held by the committee to decide on the issue.

So I kinda feel ****ty about being excluded. Don't mean to be bitchy , I just wanna be honest.

I'm not completely sure we need such a committee , I feel we've lost some things here as a community. I mean we need community representatives for sure, but well yeah I feel things talked about in that other thread have been ignored.

Don't mean to be a thorn in the side of things. Feel free to completely ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only thing I ask for from the committee is some transparency regarding:
    • How much money has been collected.
      OR
    • How money collected is being used.

I understand that posting that "we have xx € in a bag" isn't exactly the safest thing to post on the internet, but it would be good to know.
    And please don't misunderstand; I don't really care what happens to it, but I'm sure others do.

@Sisko : I hear what you're saying and I can appreciate it. People have expressed concerns that the voting takes too long and they don't want to vote on whether Inferno has best of three games and best of five or w/e.

As I said to Ramza, the community will not be excluded in any shape or form. Everything will still be brought to the community at large and discussed as much as possible. The only difference this will make is that when a decision has to be made, the committee is there to make that decision and further to that, the committee will be there to stand by that decision.

The EVO thing was not done in the usual way but it did show that we need some kind of organisation that speaks directly for the community. In this manner nothing can be done in the communities name without our backing (We control the forums, the website, the facebook, everything)
    But again beyond this, it gives accountability. If something goes wrong then you have someone that you can go to and shout at.

Now while the this wasn't done in our usual way, the money situation and the organisation were attempted to be done in our usual way. Neither thing was getting done until someone took stepped up and took charge (Money = Dreddy and Myself - Organisation - Azza) The committee is people being pre-stepped up for stuff that needs to be done.

I agree with you that I would probably list a few more myself. However five is a good number for when decisions have to be made. An odd number is needed to ensure votes have a conclusion. Have less and you get power-blocs situations where people can get their own changes through and any more defeats the point of having the committee at all.

I say this to everyone, please don't feel that you are excluded from being involved in the decision making process or that you cannot help do things for the community (videos, articles, tournaments) but all this does is to protect you whenever the shít hits the fan.

@Kiki Hopefully there should be transparency regarding everything the committee does. Any decision that is made you will be able to ask for the full rational behind the decision and if you have concerns beyond that, they will be looked at. Naturally this includes any money that is made from events. But let's be honest anything is better than Dreddy hoarding it in his sock drawer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Appreciate the reply Orim. I accept what your saying but re-reading the part of azza's post I quoted I can't help the feeling of being excluded. Just being honest.

Also feel there was obviously a conversation somewhere at sometime that I missed that led to the creation of this thread.

The lack of a vote for this also has me uneasy considering all that was said in the thread ayjay posted.

Again I'm just being honest, I'm not out right dismissing the entire idea.

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Appreciate the reply Orim. I accept what your saying but re-reading the part of azza's post I quoted I can't help the feeling of being excluded. Just being honest.

Also feel there was obviously a conversation somewhere at sometime that I missed that led to the creation of this thread.

The lack of a vote for this also has me uneasy considering all that was said in the thread ayjay posted.

Again I'm just being honest, I'm not out right dismissing the entire idea.

Sisko this committee came directly from the thread that Ayjay originally and the current situation. Azza has just forced the issue. I believe that thread itself shows the problem. It's over two months old and there was only a half-dozen people contributing to it, with no signs of anything being done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement