Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter Ireland Committee and Function

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

As far as I remember everyone was talking about a vote in that thread though, you as well. And again this 'situation' had nothing to do with a lack of a committee , if this was an inferno that turned out like this then I'd understand that point alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Orim wrote: »
    Sisko this committee came directly from the thread that Ayjay originally and the current situation. Azza has just forced the issue. I believe that thread itself shows the problem. It's over two months old and there was only a half-dozen people contributing to it, with no signs of anything being done.

That probably is due to the fact that people don't think a committee is necessary.

In fairness though , thats still an opinion and worth contributing to the thread. If someone thought that they should say so , all discussion is good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

blag wrote: »
    That probably is due to the fact that people don't think a committee is necessary.

Then why didn't people say it?

Also some people who would I say felt a committee wasn't necessary (from their thanks as they didn't contribute), are now calling for transparency and someone to address the problems that have been raised.

Using the money needs some organisation, I have spent my own money on community things and I have risked my own money on community events. I have gotten some back from the community and community pot but I am still down money because currently the community pot is very ad hoc and I feel very uncomfortable about that.

Also if we want to run a big tournament event, then we will need something like this and it is better to get the groundwork of the committee in now rather than trying to get the committee up and running at the same time as preparing the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Personally I think people are getting carried away with what we have here.It's a good group of people who just want to play Street Fighter (and whatever other fighting game).

The tournaments run to date have been excellent and I think Azza did a great job ,learning as he went, running the Infernos.Same goes for the DS RanBats with Mr_Kyle and sometimes Roogle running them.

The dates and pricing for Inferno were sorted easily through a thread where everyone gave their preferences and we went from there.No committee necessary.

So the only other issue is of surplus cash which seems to me to be a non issue really.One trustworthy person (currently Dreddy) looks after it and what to do with it can be sorted through a thread here.No need for a committee there.

I don't know what you mean by a big tournament but I can't see us having anything bigger than he Infernos.Do you mean something on the scale of a mini SVB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Then why didn't people say it?

Also some people who would I say felt a committee wasn't necessary (from their thanks as they didn't contribute), are now calling for transparency and someone to address the problems that have been raised.

I'll assume I'm one of the people you're referencing in the above statement, as I didn't post in that thread, thanked Jims post where he didn't feel a committee was/is needed and I specifically called for tranparency with in the Evo thread.

My post where I asked for transparency in the Evo thread and was specific to the Evo event, please don't take that out of context.

I asked who was running the tourney, why changes were made last minute, and what way the funds were being distributed?
    None of these were answered, and had they even been discussed prior to the event, I wouldn't needed to ask them in the first place.

Why would how it was being funded, or even who was running it need to be hidden? (Which apparantly it was.)

Transparency would have been, posting a thread, stating I (the organiser,) am running an event, the entry fee is €x and X% will go to the prize pot.
    That didn't happen and I felt direct questio

I've posted my feelings on the proposed solutions to this elsewhere.

The committee?
    I want to attend well run events and at the end of the day just play Streetfighter, and agree it may be necessary for larger events, but I've reservations similar to Siskos about the exclusionary elements to it.

A-traks post proves what I think terry brought up in another thread, that important things should not be discussed on IRC or rather everything talked about on IRC should also be repeated on the forums.

Because from what I understand , details were not hidden at all, they were just talked about on IRC. At random times.

I got most of my info from a mixture of hear say , 3rd party info and just being on IRC at the right moment.

This is going off topic though and chunkis has already apologised and said he agrees that all discussion should have been on the forums too so no need to talk about that aspect further.

But yeah a-trak unless I'm mistaken I don't think anything was meant to be hidden, even though it effectively was hidden to pretty much most of the community by only talking about it on IRC.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm just saying how I see things at the moment here.

I've been parts of groups like this before, and they need a little management.

There's always, always, always going to be the tippping point where someone asks about money (that's not a stab A trak, you were right to) or something goes wrong.

But that's this time. What is to save dreddy if someone were spreading malicious crap about him. Don't say it couldn't happen, I have seen it happen already with people who are totally trust worthy.

There's always going to be missed opportunities because person x just didn't quite get round to doing something he was supposed to.

There's always going to be one guy who's running something who makes a mistake or a bad guess because he's doing it on his own.

For me, this committee is not going to be a group of people around a table taking minutes and voting ayes. It should be about check, balances, and trying to get stuff done. It should not become a group of people losing their heads.

I do think that the committee should be a group of people who say Gelcon or Gamesnash or whoever can come to and say "we want to run a tournament. Help" and it should be a group of people who'll keep an eye on the money etc.

Also, I don't agree that people should lose their voice.

I think big things should still go to the community. But niggley, get stuff done quick stuff, that doesn't need democracy, that needs (shudder) a dictator.

That's the way I see things right now anyway. I am open to convincing.

@ A-trak - Yes you were the one that came to mind when I was making that point but others have said it as well. I know you were talking about this one event but it shows a systemic flaw in our current set-up. Chunkis was the one running the tournament and he took it upon himself to organise everything himself. However despite the fact that he was doing it on his own he was able to use all of our resources to advertise and encourage the event without any of us having a say in what was happening. I hold myself very much to blame for this. That's why I'm in support of the committee as I believe that the committee would prevent this in the future.

@Blag - Without putting words in his mouth, I believe that Azza felt that Infernos were getting to big for him. Hence after the last one, capping participants was mentioned. This is an aside as myself and ChopperByrne are running Infernos.

I don't believe we are getting carried away, we are simply trying to plan for the future. We are at a point where any future growth will need to be managed or else there won't be future growth.

All the tournaments have been great. No one is disputing that and the committee shouldn't affect it. However what about getting a 24 down south? I'd enjoy that as I hear the DS ones are great crack but I've missed them. That would take a bit more work. Expanding the Inferno schedule to include more games or making DoC larger, will take more work again. And yes down the line, I would like for us to run a mini SvB/EVO/SBO

@Sisko - Details were hidden about the EVO event. Nobody had the full picture and everyone was working off hearsay and being in IRC at the right time. Again I will say the committee will prevent this from occurring and anything of this size will need to be right out in the open.

I am totally against anything being planned on IRC and will always say make a thread about it.

I can't seem to articulate the rest of what I want to say but I will say that this committee will not make a massive change to the way things are now but should prevent a repeat of the EVO quals and should lead to good things happening in the future.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Would all committee members please download Ventrillo and obtain a microphone for their PC's as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    Would all committee members please download Ventrillo and obtain a microphone for their PC's as soon as possible.

Mac has microphone and done.

And so it begins.

Btw mumble is better.

Sisko wrote: »
    And so it begins.

Btw mumble is better.

I decided that the Infernos would now be a monthly event, held on the first of the month.

I decided that Inferno registration would be cut off at 1:30.

You didn't feel so aggrieved and excluded when these decisions were made. I don't see why you feel this way now that we're formalising a bit and adding in a few checks and balances for these types of decisions.

Oh so now the hypocrite card is being pulled out. You were nominated to run inferno , with no need to for some disaster event to be used as the made up reason for it to happen with no community input. Said decisions were laid out in front of the community, not discussed behind closed doors 1st.
    I mean how can you even argue the reasons for feeling excluded are invalid using that example when your comparing one guy putting forth ideas on a forum to 5 people having private discussions in vent. The very nature of 5 people having a discussion in vent excludes people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! YOU WERE MEANT TO UNITE THE FORCE NOT DESTROY IT! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONES!!!!

you got so far without any red tape. i looked at the fighting games crowd with glee compared to so many other irish gaming groups. it all begins here - the jealousy, the intrigue, the internet backstabbery and the flaming. its grand if people are cool and just relax, but its a competitive environment so that wont last forever. the less 'official' things and people, the better it is for the whole group

My thoughts are this.

Its pretty much how I'll run all the committee meetings.

I'll be seeing these guys on the 7th :D

Oh so now the hypocrite card is being pulled out. You were nominated to run inferno , with no need to for some disaster event to be used as the made up reason for it to happen with no community input. Said decisions were laid out in front of the community, not discussed behind closed doors 1st.
    I mean how can you even argue the reasons for feeling excluded are invalid using that example when your comparing one guy putting forth ideas on a forum to 5 people having private discussions in vent. The very nature of 5 people having a discussion in vent excludes people.

No Sisko the two decisions I mentioned were not put forth to the community. I, in my role as tournament organiser, decided how things would be and said this is how things will be.

I wasn't trying to paint you as the hypocrite, I was trying to point out the kind of minor decisions we will be dealing. Anything bigger than the two points mentioned will certainly be run by the community.

A great example, I think, was the Day of Champions. In regards to the money and the games, I ran my thoughts by the community on the forums and IRC and in RL. I got the general consensus and I made a decision. This is how the committee will work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Jazzy wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! YOU WERE MEANT TO UNITE THE FORCE NOT DESTROY IT! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONES!!!!

you got so far without any red tape. i looked at the fighting games crowd with glee compared to so many other irish gaming groups. it all begins here - the jealousy, the intrigue, the internet backstabbery and the flaming. its grand if people are cool and just relax, but its a competitive environment so that wont last forever. the less 'official' things and people, the better it is for the whole group

Well, we made it a year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

For wot its worth i agree with Commander Sisko.

Making an executive decision by announcing 5, no matter how pretty, is an auspicious start.

Calling yourselves Street Fighter Ireland committee as opposed to Inferno committee, again in my view an ill advised move.

If we are going down this road we need what ajirl suggested, constitutions and elections.

• Advertisement

That's Captain Sisko to you kneecaps :mad:

This was a delicate issue that needed to be delicately put in place with full community feedback and input on every aspect of it.

Not slammed down our throats out of no where, using the failed evo event as the twin towers to the iraq war.

Again what happened on Saturday was not due to the lack of a committee , just seems like the situation was taken advantage of.

Comparing someone thinking of an idea and posting it on a forum as being the same thing as 5 people discussing an idea to themselves and then posting on the forum .. well wtf. It's not?

Anyway obviously I know everyone means well and I know everyone on the committee pretty damn well at this stage and their all solid blokes etc, its just the implementation of all this is pretty much the exact opposite of what we were all talking about in that original thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

The fellowship has been broken........

Well who do you guys want to be on the committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

For what it's worth I agree with Sisko, I was just willing to accept this as a way to move things forward more quickly, but I do think of any issue we have this is one that does deserve a vote.

Well who do you guys want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Azza wrote: »
    Well who do you guys want?

If a thread polling everyone who they'd want on this committee,I'd imagine the results would be very similar to the people on the committee now.

But no one was asked.

The main thrust that I can see behind the forming of the committee was that someone went off on their own bat and organised an an event without asking anyone for feedback, and ultimately that event failed spectacularly based on this and ignoring the opinions of others.

The tag-line of the organiser was that if you didn't go, you were letting the community down.
    That doesn't ring true.

So solution seems to be to create a committee, immediately formed, again with no consultation?

Not slammed down our throats out of no where, using the failed evo event as the twin towers to the iraq war.

dramallama.jpg

The issue was discussed for nearly two months : http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055885571

The form of the committee was pretty much what the general consensus in that thread appeared to be. Small number, no officers/titles, not prevent others from running events, deal with the money, to do some talking/brainstorming and get some overall plans out there.

As far as I can see the only problem is that there was no elections for the people to be on the committee.

This weekend has not brought about a radical left-field idea out of nowhere. It has bumped the importance of a previously discussed issue.

Thats a good point a-trak,

Jazzy ...jazzy jazzy jazzy.

Don't be that guy.
    :p

@ Azza , its not simply 'who we want' its how many and so forth , and whether or not we want one , what its role is etc etc I think all needed to be voted on.

Just so everyones had a chance to be part of the making of this committee or community representatives. I think the idea of community reps works a little better then a 'committee' but anyway yeah.

This weekend has not brought about a radical left-field idea out of nowhere. It has bumped the importance of a previously discussed issue.

Again, the lack of a committee had nothing to do with what happened this weekend, if this was an inferno that failed then yeah. Bumping the importance, imo should have entailed polls with a deadline of the end of the week rather then 'here's the committee'.

• Advertisement

more really, give the lads a chance, dont make a big deal out of it and see what happens. at the end of the day, your just playing games against each other and having a laugh. competitions = srs bsns of course but im sure the lads know that too. if egos get in the way then go smack your head against a wall until your ego shrinks accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement