Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on teacher training in the Uk

Options
  • 30-05-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Im looking for advice from anyone who may have information on studying as an Irish postgraduate to become a Secondary teacher in the UK.

Unfortunately my BA in English and History degree (2.2) does not qualify me for the H.Dip as the points are quite high and as I understand it it is heavily over subscribed for an English/History combination. I also know that there are many teacher struggling to get jobs here in Ireland once qualified.

I have always wanted to be a teacher but the Irish route seems blocked to me. I have tried finding a position substitute teaching which I was advised could be accredited to my H.Dip application but I have incurred a long fruitless search and with so many unemployed trained teachers it is difficult to be considered even to work on a voluntary basis. The only other way to accure points is through further study but I cant see myself studying to masters level so I can go on to do a Higher Diploma.

I know one could say I should have worked harder at degree level to obtain a better degree and I agree with that viewpoint but unfortunately this is the situation as it stands and I am looking towards other alternatives.

I have heard, perhaps wrongly, that it easier to get into teacher training courses in the UK. From the little research I have done there seems to be two main paths, PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) and GTP (Graduate Training Programme).

The PGCE can be done on a part-time basis which is attractive as I do not know how I could fund a full time study period.

The GTP would be preferable as one is employed in the school as a teacher assistant and studies simultaneously. It may be more difficult however as they are looking for professional graduates, people changing career paths, Im 25 out of college nearly 2 years and work in an office....is this a change of career? Am I old enough to be considered for this?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into one of these courses? Any positive or negative views on this training method?

Finally, in relation to both training paths does anyone know of their acceptance as qualifications in Irish schools?

The fact I cannot get into the course I want here and the fact my partner (plumber) is unable to find work are my motivating factors torwards leaving Ireland and studying in the UK but I would hope to come home again and be able to teach.

This is quite a rambling mess of a question but if anyone has any advice on the above or even some of it please share it with me!!

Thanks!

Advertisement