Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini Cooper Oil Warning Light

• 30-05-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

My OH bought an 02 Mini Cooper about a month ago. The oil warning light comes on when braking and while the car is stopped and then goes off again when I pull away. I checked the oil level and its fine, but wondering is there anything else thats making the light come on??? or anything else i need to be checking??
    just looking for some ideas so when i go to a garage about it ill know what needs to be done.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Are you sure it's not the brake fluid light as this happened to me when my break fluid was low but it wasn't the oil light. It was like this:

(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

Have the oil pressure checked, could be low pressure when at low engine speed.
    When you rev the engine does the light go out ? If it does its like a oil pump or engine bearing problem, I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not the brake fluid light as this happened to me when my break fluid was low but it wasn't the oil light. It was like this:

(!)

no its the oil light
    Moby wrote: »
    Have the oil pressure checked, could be low pressure when at low engine speed.
    When you rev the engine does the light go out ? If it does its like a oil pump or engine bearing problem, I hope not.

not sure about reving, but it does go out as soon as you drive off.
    it doesnt sound good then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

hi paulyh
    As this vehicle is a recent purchase has it had an oil filter changed lately if so have some one check the oil filter houseing if your car has a paper element filter there is a spring inside the houseing which may have dropped out of place (during most recent filter change). This can cause the oil light to flicker at idle or when you ease off the trottle (ie. when brakeing). This check takes two minutes and may save you alot of hassle and expence.

carface wrote: »
    hi paulyh
    As this vehicle is a recent purchase has it had an oil filter changed lately if so have some one check the oil filter houseing if your car has a paper element filter there is a spring inside the houseing which may have dropped out of place (during most recent filter change). This can cause the oil light to flicker at idle or when you ease off the trottle (ie. when brakeing). This check takes two minutes and may save you alot of hassle and expence.

there is an after market air filter on it. the filter cone is connected to the end of the original air hose and then into the engine. would this be causing a problem?

i watched it this morning, and as sson as i brake the light comes on. And if i rev the engine the light goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Did you check the oil level with the engine cold and off ???

(I have seen this before!))

I checked the oil after the engine was warmed up, switched it off, waited about 5 mins, and then checked oil..........and it seemed fine.

What shape is the oil warning symbol?

Is it this:

oil1.jpg

Or something else?

thats the one

If the manual dipstick is reading perfectly, the electronic oil level sensor *may* be faulty. Get this checked.

• Advertisement

i was thinking and hoping it is a sensoer problem. but not knowing a whole lot about cars other than the very basics, i'd like to have an idea what the problem is, so i wont be paying mad money for something i dont need.

thanks very much for the advice, i'll get it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Look at this... I hope this is it.. did the garage you bought it from "service" it????

http://www.promini.com/technical/cooper_oil_filter.php

si_guru wrote: »
    Look at this... I hope this is it.. did the garage you bought it from "service" it????

http://www.promini.com/technical/cooper_oil_filter.php

mmmmmmmmm.............it sounds like this could be the problem.
    it was a private sale, and was told it was just serviced.
    if this is the problem, is it just a matter of refitting the oil filter correctly with the centre core?
    is this something i can check myself?

I wouldn't know... might be worth ringing a BMW garage.. just ask how much for an oil and filter change??

(call me a girl or whatever but I don't get me hands oily these days - did enough of that back in the 80's when I had too - poor teenager)

ok, i'll ring a BMW garage and get and oil and filter change.
    I'm sure if there is anything else wrong they will discover it then?

thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

This happened to me before. Left the car into the dealer to be serviced and the light kept coming on after. Turns out the mechanic lost the part in the oil filter housing. They just ordered the part and replaced it.

jame5_b wrote: »
    This happened to me before. Left the car into the dealer to be serviced and the light kept coming on after. Turns out the mechanic lost the part in the oil filter housing. They just ordered the part and replaced it.

i'm hoping this is the problem, seems to be a common one, and can be easily fixed

jame5_b wrote: »
    Turns out the mechanic lost the part in the oil filter housing.

..nice. Makes you feel confident.

Advertisement