Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Credit Cards & Tesco's

Options
  • 30-05-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I was in Tescos today and my Shopping came to over €100

I went to pay with my Visa card ( Not Chip and Pin ) Which the Till girl refused to take even though I had my Drivers Licence with me as ID

She told me by Law in Ireland all Credit and Debit Cards have to be Chip & Pin :rolleyes:

I asked to speak to the Manager who Also decided to tell me that by law Debit Cards have to be Chip & Pin which I dont believe is true

Anyways after a ten minute discussion They were able to swipe my Visa and I signed for it

I plan to write to Tescos Head office over the embarassment today and would like to know IF anyone knows the the Law in Ireland over Signature CC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Most people have chip and pin ,easy way out ask for chip and pin there safer and i know some shops won't accept swipe anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I agree but they used the Arguement that its Law that All Credit Card have to be Chip and Pin

They are able to Swipe Plus I have Photo ID Drivers Licence to show them
    Name on Credit Card + Divers Licence match

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

She told me by Law in Ireland all Credit and Debit Cards have to be Chip & Pin :rolleyes:

I don't think this is true. We are told to do whatever the till tells us. If the card has a chip and the machine asks for a PIN, we are not allowed to bypass it. Some people have Chip & PIN cards but agreed with their banks to use signature so the card goes straight to signature.

If your card has no Chip, then you can sign for it. Also AMEX cards don't have chips AFAIK and a lots of countries haven't introduced this system yet.

Of course things might have changed.

My Visa card has no Chip in it . Only the Black strip on the Back and Also my Signature

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's not really about a specific "law" per se (ie, there's no "Chip & Pin Act of 2007" etc).

However, with the rollout of Chip & Pin there was a change with regard responsibility for fraud etc. Basically, a retailer is not obliged to accept non Chip & Pin. If they do, the buck stops with them in the event of a fraud. Because of this, many retailer's choose not to accept signature cards. Those that do, usually do it if they deal with a lot of tourists who may come from countries where Chip & Pin has not rolled out yet.

The question you need to ask is why do you not have a Chip & Pin card? Is the card issued by an Irish bank? For a retailer, they would ask themselves "why doesn't an Irish person not have a Chip & Pin these days?" and therefore regard such customers as a potential higher risk and therefore may have a policy regarding not accepting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Check out chipandpin.ie

Your right its not 'law' but most places have signed up to the chip and pin programme, if you dont have a chip and pin card you should be allowed to sign for the transaction, but it does prompt the question as above as to why you dont have a chip and pin card.

gogo wrote: »
    Check out chipandpin.ie

Your right its not 'law' but most places have signed up to the chip and pin programme, if you dont have a chip and pin card you should be allowed to sign for the transaction, but it does prompt the question as above as to why you dont have a chip and pin card.

I got my Credit card when I lived in Germany it doesn't expire until 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've had friends visit from the States with non-chip cards and they've been allowed to sign for their transactions everywhere they've used them. Maybe you just got unlucky with the cashier. I've used a US visa debit card here with no chip and have also been allowed to sign for the transactions.

Advertisement