Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish Aistí!!

Options
  • 30-05-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Okay I have a few topics written out and I have YET to learn them, with two weeks till the Irish paper 1 exam, I need help... Can anyone give me any advice? Topics to cover? Ways to learn?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Oh God I wish someone could tell me :P
    I've been mainly learning loads of general phrases which you can slip into any essay which will hopefully help me as it generally gives your essay a bit of pizzazz as well as being quite handy if you have no idea what you're talking about. Remember that 80% is for Irish.
    Having said that you do need the specific vocab - do recession just in case (even though it came up last year... grrr), violence/crime, racism, young people, problems of the country. Not so sure about the whole 'sport/world cup' thing everyone seems to be predicting, but you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Okay I have a few topics written out and I have YET to learn them, with two weeks till the Irish paper 1 exam, I need help... Can anyone give me any advice? Topics to cover? Ways to learn?:pac:

omg same as! .. i have a feeling wer just screwed.. :(:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I don't know how the rest of you fellow boardsies learn essays but I find that the best way to learn them is to read it a couple of times and them learn off the main phrases or "nathanna cainte" (? - Correct me if I'm wrong). If I can, I write it out until I know it. Worked for learning a 2 and a half page essay recently

*fingers crossed that topic will come up in one way or another*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

best way i've found of learning these is learning it in themes, so you can bring in differnet parts depending on the essay title.
    for example, learning paragraphs on:
    • Daoine óga
    • Polaiteoirí
    • Oideachas
    • Culú na hEacnamíochta
    • Aeráid na cruinne
    • Mean cumarsáide...etc
    and then manipulating the essay title to bring in as many as you can =D
    for example in my mock the question i answered was "tríalacha agus tríobloidí an duine óg", so i was able to talk about daoine óga, oideachas, mean cumarsáide (it's influence on young people), agus cúlú na hEacnamíochta (bring in the lack of jobs etc etc). Throw in a couple of seanfhocáils and sentences relating to the question and BAM! =) you're sorted =D
    This really works, I got an A2 in the mocks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

ceol18 wrote: »
    Culú na hEacnamíochta

:eek: Is it "an cúlú eacnamíochta" or "cúlú na heacnamaíochta"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

Culú na hEacnamaíochta is the best way of saying it i think, but i don't think the other way is WRONG persay...it just sounds better =D that's what my teacher said anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Prepare around 10 essays. Mine would have included...

Immigration/refugees/racism
    Drugs and alcohol
    Education system in Ireland
    Sport and its health benefits
    Social problems in Ireland
    Etc.

For each topic (taking drugs and alcohol as an example), don't rote learn an essay. Write out a brief plan with key vocab of what you're going to say for each paragraph. E.g....

Paragraph 1: Intro and comment on a personal experience from being on hols in Spain and not seeing young people drunk.
    2: Reasons for the problem - attitudes to alcohol
    3. Types of alcohol and drugs that people use
    3: Consequences of alcohol and drug abuse
    4: How to tackle the problem
    5: Summary

Then if you have these broad ideas of what you're going to say for each paragraph in the exam, with key vocab, you can write around this in the exam. And also you can tailor the ideas if an essay comes up that doesn't fit one of your plans exactly.

I got an A in Irish a few years ago so this worked for me. Articles from Foinse and Dreimire (magazine we used to get at the time) are great for vocab and inspiration on the topics above, and helped me structure my plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

I know this sounds retarded but whats the Irish for drawing the dole? Iv completely forgot...is it "ag tarraingt an dole", kinda sounds wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I'm really hoping for an essay on An Coras Oideachais or Gaeilge!

Sport is really likely, as is an timpeallacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

i think polateoiri is a big one this year..how they contributed to the country's recession..corruption in the country, property developers and so on..something based around this..young people having no confidence in the government
    environment and sport very plausible
    irish society and how it has changed ,church and technology
    technology has not come up in ages

• Advertisement

The_D_Man wrote: »
    I know this sounds retarded but whats the Irish for drawing the dole? Iv completely forgot...is it "ag tarraingt an dole", kinda sounds wrong?

It's "dól" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

knowing me, i probably won't undersatnd any of the essay titles in the first place.. :(.. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

zam wrote: »
    It's "dól" :P

Well, unemployment benefit is Cunamh Difhostaiochta

Sorry for lack of fadas!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm in fifth year but I guess it's still relevant. I learned off about three essays this year using a really simple method.

First of all I write the essay in Irish. Then I translate it into english using literal translations where I find a bit of Irish that I don't entirely understand. Then I try and rewrite the Irish essay by translating it from the English. I do this a few times and then learn off the Essay in English. Then I attempt to write it out in Irish by remembring the English essay and translating it on the fly into Irish. Using this method I managed to learn off a two page essay in less than 12 hours ;)

I started memorising it at 10:30PM and had my exam at 10:15AM the next day. Almost 100% accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

You see I cannot construct proper Irish sentences, I NEED to learn some paragraphs off. I think that's what I'll do in the following 2 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

You see I cannot construct proper Irish sentences, I NEED to learn some paragraphs off. I think that's what I'll do in the following 2 weeks...

You're making life difficult for yourself here because if you were to make a mistake by say leaving out one single sentence your whole paragraph or whatever it is you've learned might not make sense. If you're going to do it that way at least make sure that you know the translation for what it is you're learning so at least you can proof read it afterwards and check that it definitely makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glwygrl

Hey all, not sure if many of you will see this as the big day approaches and you're probably all studying. Anyway the aisti I'm doing are all sort of culu eacnamaiochta related and I know that one of the grind schools on the west are only doing "Imirce"!!.
    1)Imirce
    2)Cúlú Eacnamaíochta
    3)Difhostaíochta
    4) Foréigean
    They're all interwoven because it all comes down to there being a big recession at the end of the day so it's very easy to just change them around and let them fit each heading. For Pros I'm doing Fiche Blian ag Fás and Lá Buí Bealtaine (clare sa speir for many of you) and HL poetry is a bit all over the shop but I'm focusing mainly on An tóilean and An Chead Drama. Stair...ah well I know Foinse recently predicted a number of topis, some of which are An Fhiannaiocht, Ogham, Gaeilge sna Mean..., and Athbheocan.
    Good Luck to you all and I hope this has helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MagsK93

The only essays i've done are the state of the leaders of the country and problems with young people so if they dont some up im screwed! hopefully they will...and if you do have trouble learning off essays i do it the same way as partyatmygaff said they do on the page before this and it really works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'm in fifth year but I guess it's still relevant. I learned off about three essays this year using a really simple method.

First of all I write the essay in Irish. Then I translate it into english using literal translations where I find a bit of Irish that I don't entirely understand. Then I try and rewrite the Irish essay by translating it from the English. I do this a few times and then learn off the Essay in English. Then I attempt to write it out in Irish by remembring the English essay and translating it on the fly into Irish. Using this method I managed to learn off a two page essay in less than 12 hours ;)

I started memorising it at 10:30PM and had my exam at 10:15AM the next day. Almost 100% accurate :)

12 hours thats a crazy!!!
    I learnt a irish essay in 4 hours over the last 2 days. its not 100% but i dont make any mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

irish_man wrote: »
    12 hours thats a crazy!!!
    I learnt a irish essay in 4 hours over the last 2 days. its not 100% but i dont make any mistakes.
    :pac:

I didn't mean 12 hours as in I stayed up all night studying :D

I started at 10:30PM slept two hours later and woke up at 8am to study some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Am I the only one here who doesn't learn off essays for irish??! Like don't get me wrong I'm not taking a swipe at those who do(I think the only reason I dont is laziness!) but like is it adequate to just learn phrases off, make the essay up on the day and still do well?

lc2010 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who doesn't learn off essays for irish??! Like don't get me wrong I'm not taking a swipe at those who do(I think the only reason I dont is laziness!) but like is it adequate to just learn phrases off, make the essay up on the day and still do well?

No I don't either. I mean there's no way we can predict what's coming up so I feel that learning off different essays is a waste of my time which could be spent more productively learning general phrases, a wide range of vocab, reading dréimire articles etc!
    I like to open the past papers on a random year, give myself an hour, and write an essay under exam conditions and so far no years have required really really specific vocab or learned off sentences... We'll be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

zam wrote: »
    We'll be fine! :)

I'll hold you to that!lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ilovethecraic

ajjmk wrote: »
    knowing me, i probably won't undersatnd any of the essay titles in the first place.. :(.. :L

i feel your pain :( fellow leitrimer :) screwed.com

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

Is it alright, if your talking about politicians say, to go completely against them and say how they ****ed up with the economy, health system etc. and how **** they are?or would they dock you marks for talking ****e about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Okay I'm only doing - politics, environment and problems of the teenager. Will I get away with it?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

What titles can the environment/global warming come under.
    i don't want to be there on the day not understanding a title and the realising one was on the environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

ive covered
    polateoiri
    alcol agus drugai
    daoine oga fadhbanna etc
    timshaol
    spoirt
    imirce
    meain cumarsaide
    hope for 1 of these!!:D

Advertisement