Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitcases on Dublin Bus

• 30-05-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

This happened a few months ago but thought I would share the story to see had it happened to anyone else.

I was on O'Connell St waiting on the 10 bus out to UCD one Sunday. Buses would be every 20 mins or so in frequency, and it was a miserable rainy night. I was waiting I'd say for 15/20 mins for the bus.

The bus comes along and a number of students get on with cases - about 10 maybe. Even at this, there were loads of empty seats still on the bus and the luggage rack was not at all full.

I had a small case myself and was ready to get on the bus when the (foreign) driver said "No more boxes". I said something like there would not be a bus for another while and he said "Sorry there is nothing I can do", drives off leaving me and other students to wait on the next bus in the p****** rain.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I would have understood if the bus was full, but it wasn't at all full. The luggage rack was only about half full and there were loads of seats. Surely there isn't a rule about a max no of "boxes" allowed on a bus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thats an odd one alright, and not on really :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Dublin bus drivers are a bunch of dirty snakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Dublin bus drivers are a bunch of dirty snakes.

Moronic generalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Dublin bus drivers are sometimes a bunch of dirty snakes.

FYP

I've brought all sorts of things on buses, from bike wheels to rucksacks. Never had a problem.

I think the trick might be to just avoid eye contact when you get on with something they might have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Moronic generalisation.

and unfair to snakes....

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    and unfair to snakes....

exactly, everyone knows they can't drive buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rocket Butch

Not nice, but bus drivers are allowed to refuse you permission to board for any reason or no reason at all, including that something you're carrying would, in the driver's opinion, "likely to cause annoyance or damage to any passenger or damage to any property". (Dublin Bus Bye-laws, http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

exactly, everyone knows they can't drive buses

snakes or DB drivers?

corktina wrote: »
    snakes or DB drivers?

snakes, or course. what with the no hands and all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/
    "appropriate fare" means such charges as may be fixed and published from time to time by the Company for the conveyance of passengers and their luggage under section 8 of the Transport Act, 1958 (No. 19 of 1958);
    No person shall take or cause to be taken on to any vehicle if requested not to do so by an authorised person any bird, animal, article or thing which by reason of its nature is in the opinion of the authorised person likely to cause annoyance or damage to any passenger or damage to any property.
    so your small flight case or "box" was going to harm the bus or other passengers? more inspectors need to be on all bus routes and throw in some "mystery shopper" passengers to test drivers manners etc

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    throw in some "mystery shopper" passengers to test drivers manners etc

this indeed should be done. buses & stations should be subject to this the same way supermarket run it themselves to improve service.

this indeed should be done. buses & stations should be subject to this the same way supermarket run it themselves to improve service.

This is ALREADY being done. Plain-clothes officials from the Company routinely board buses and monitor driver behaviour.

This is ALREADY being done. Plain-clothes officials from the Company routinely board buses and monitor driver behaviour.

how are the result used and is there a full check list type survey done on each bus taken? Do they use them to track depots against each other to improve service like the supermarket do?

Depots are not treated individually against each other, as it is solely driver attitude being monitored, from whatever garage.

A checklist is used and the driver is later informed by letter on which area/s s/he may need to improve upon, such as smooth braking, door operation and helpfulness to customers.

A driver deemed to have slipped beneath certain standards is sent back to the company's training school until they have been sufficiently brought back up to scratch.

this is good but the chances of the official being recognised as such is too great a risk and people from outside agencies should be used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Not nice, but bus drivers are allowed to refuse you permission to board for any reason or no reason at all, including that something you're carrying would, in the driver's opinion, "likely to cause annoyance or damage to any passenger or damage to any property". (Dublin Bus Bye-laws, http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/)

I wonder if that includes cigarettes and cans of beer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Aard wrote: »
    I wonder if that includes cigarettes and cans of beer...

From the same link.....

No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

No person shall spit in or from the vehicle.

No person shall smoke or carry a lighted pipe, cigarette, cigar or cheroot in any vehicle or part of the vehicle.

No person shall throw or deposit any litter, lighted match, cigarette, cigar, cheroot, chewing gum or other substance on the vehicle except into a receptacle expressly provided for that purpose.

No person shall throw or trail from the vehicle or throw at the vehicle any article or thing whatsoever.

KC61 wrote: »
    From the same link.....

No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

No person shall spit in or from the vehicle.

No person shall smoke or carry a lighted pipe, cigarette, cigar or cheroot in any vehicle or part of the vehicle.

No person shall throw or deposit any litter, lighted match, cigarette, cigar, cheroot, chewing gum or other substance on the vehicle except into a receptacle expressly provided for that purpose.

No person shall throw or trail from the vehicle or throw at the vehicle any article or thing whatsoever.
    i am surprised persons are even allowed board these precious busses:) looks like they have every angle covered but a complaint to dublin bus may help someone else escape this drivers attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cleveland browne

foggy_lad wrote: »
    this is good but the chances of the official being recognised as such is too great a risk and people from outside agencies should be used!

Outside agency is used I believe DB employ a UK transport consultancy firm to conduct these checks. Chances of the person being recognised are virtually zilch as the person is not in uniform pays the fare and does not identify him/herself until the check is complete.

Advertisement