Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurooptics - NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot

Options
  • 30-05-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, Am thinking of buying a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot scope from Eurooptics and would like to get some info from ye.
    A./ Has anyone used Eurooptics before and if so how were they to deal with ?
    B./ All the prices on the Eurooptics website have dollar signs before the price, so are these dollar prices or euro prices which you'd expect from a EUROoptic website ?
    C./ Is there a huge difference between a 50mm and a 56mm scope..really ?
    D./ In ye're opinions are Nightforce better then IOR scopes of similar pricing ?
    E./ Has anyone got this make \ model scope and if so, how do you find it ?
    F./ Is a Mildot reticle the best reticle to get for varmint \ target shooting at 300 yrds plus. (Using a remmy700 .223 with Accuracy International Stock)

Sorry about all the questions but before I hand out €1600 on glass I want to make sure all the boxes are ticked and reckon you lads are the best people to ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads, Am thinking of buying a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot scope from Eurooptics and would like to get some info from ye.
    B./ All the prices on the Eurooptics website have dollar signs before the price, so are these dollar prices or euro prices which you'd expect from a EUROoptic website ?
    C./ Is there a huge difference between a 50mm and a 56mm scope..really ? i have used both and would say the 56 is great for when light is fading without reducing magnification significantly
    D./ In ye're opinions are Nightforce better then IOR scopes of similar pricing ? Can't comment on the latter as I have not used.
    E./ Has anyone got this make \ model scope and if so, how do you find it ? Great, I use that model on my stalking rifle, I have taken head shot deer as a result.
    F./ Is a Mildot reticle the best reticle to get for varmint \ target shooting at 300 yrds plus. (Using a remmy700 .223 with Accuracy International Stock)
    My favourite reticle for varmint is the NPR 2 reticle, as it is great on game and the cross hairs are 2MOA which is very handy as the drop on a .223 200yard zero is ~2moa
    Sorry about all the questions but before I hand out €1600 on glass I want to make sure all the boxes are ticked and reckon you lads are the best people to ask.

Perfect questions, I have a NF 5.5-22x56, and an 8-32x56. Both are great scopes, and I had Nikon and Swarofoski previously.
    The externally adj Target turrets make it handy for adjusting windage or elevation on the hop.

Well worth the shillins IMHO, I bought 2 I was so impressed with the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

The company are great to deal with, best thing to do is pick up the phone and give Alex a ring.
    Just be aware, you will be hit for customs duty and vat, and it has to be paid on receipt of your item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

vidxname,

Shop around in ireland first. These can be had for similar price.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=44

The above is just an example. It can be gotten cheaper if you shop around.

The company are great to deal with, best thing to do is pick up the phone and give Alex a ring.
    Just be aware, you will be hit for customs duty and vat, and it has to be paid on receipt of your item.

21% VAT 4% Customs tax, + 100 if item is over €1000 value, as per mate of mine;)
    So expect a few hundred on to any item over €1000 there is different rates for over 3k AFAIK but these rates should explain how much FedEx will look for off ya;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was going to, but found a better deal in the UK. Nice crowd to deal with and very helpful with any info needed. Best option is to ring rather than talk via e-mail. Ask for Alex in the sales team.

It is an American company and all prices are in Dollars.
    C./ Is there a huge difference between a 50mm and a 56mm scope..really ?

Not really. The 56mm lens will allow for more light and better clarity, but other than that both have the same moa for elevation and windage with subtle and mostly unnoticable differences.
    D./ In ye're opinions are Nightforce better then IOR scopes of similar pricing ?

Personally .......... yes. I have 3 Nightforce and have used or owned most other makes. For the clarity, build and performance you will not find another scope that will do the same for the same money.
    E./ Has anyone got this make \ model scope and if so, how do you find it ?

Not that particular model. I have the 8-32x56 Benchrest and NXS and also the 12-42x56 NXS. As a guide the 5.5-22x50/56 NXS will be every bit as good and definitely in build quality and performance simply with less magnification. Although it will still allow for up to 1,000 yd shooting (with the proper rifle/bullet)

The last one i bought was the 8-32x56 BR. It has the Mil-Dot reticle. I like it because it has the larger Mil-Dot for quick aquisition, but a smaller/finer Mil-Dot within the larger one to allow you to see the object. In other words the mil-dot does not block out your target be it game or target (paper). Have a look here, but use a larger image to fully see the reticle.

On that note they can be got for less than that here. No need to go abroad.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

I used the high mag 8-32x56 Nigtforce scope today and got a pusheen rabbit @322 as per Nikon Buckmasters 800 Rangefinder.

The NPR reticle is great for hunting and very fine for small targets, as seen below:D
    They are illum so bringing in from states now might not get passed homeland security AFAIK unless you are a RFD.

115434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Where in Ireland can any of you lads recommend I look for Nightforce scopes..any shops ye'd recommend..I dont mind travelling..I'm in the south east BTW.

Just after doing a little math (sorry it took so long, had to put socks back on).

Average price in Dollars = $1632.00
    Thats €1330.73 in Euro. Now the fun begins.

V.A.T. @ 21% = €279.84
    Customs @ 4.8% = €63.50

So thats €343.34. Add the scope price (€1330.73) and you have €1674.07.

Now add shipping of approx $60 (or so, depends on carrier). Thats €48.92.

Leaving you with a total of €1,772.99.

You cn buy a brand new 12-42x56 NXS for that money.

Also be aware that most if not all vendors are not permitted to ship Nightforce (scopes/products) outside of the U.S.A. (thats from Nightforce themselves) You may have heard of ways or people that got around this, but honestly for the money its not worth the headache. IMHO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Sean Harding in Stakelums in Thurles usually carries a few Nightforces as does Jim Griffin in Tullamore as both of them supply a few lads in the MNSCI with firearms, ammo and gear they usually keep them in stock.

I know of a few others that somtimes have them, but do not want to suggest dealers and have you traveling if there are none in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Agree with Ezri, but what if the lad has someone in the states and they post it as a gift? Or simply take it in their case if travelling home for hols? Just an idea. Can such items be safely posted and not be recognised as anything other than a gift by the customs:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

give McCloy's up North a ring done a great with me last Sept on a 8x32-56 NXS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

I was talking to optics wharehouse last week and they have a zeiss think it was 8-24x56 ,It was a demo model and they were looking 1400 euro shipped to ireland all in,;) If interested ring and ask for jp ,he is the sales manager

Anything is possible.

A while ago i would have tried anything myself, but the prices in the USA seem to have risen and the Dollar has gained strength against the Euro making it cheaper to buy at home. Now if there was €50 or €100 in it i think i would still buy at home for the piece of mind of follow up service and for the sake of a small amount of money i would rather go local, and get my scope straight away.

Remember also that an export permit is needed for scopes coming in from the states.(on the dealers end/ his responsibility) As Ireland does not enjoy the open market/free trade policy the UK does it takes between 3-5 weeks for this permit.

Here is a thread about the same topic for some light reading.

Gowen and Bradshaw are the sole importers of Nightforce optics into Ireland from Nightforce Direct.(as per Nightforce sales rep e-mail I recieved when wanting a Nightforce Shirt)
    G&B sell to RFD's all over the country.

So you should be in luck.;)

Have to agree with ezridax not so easy or straight forward to deal in the us , Thats why i found optics wharehouse uk very good ;)

Gowen and Bradshaw are the sole importers of Nightforce optics into Ireland from Nightforce Direct.(as per Nightforce sales rep e-mail I recieved when wanting a Nightforce Shirt)
    G&B sell to RFD's all over the country.

So you should be in luck.;)

Duffy in galway has them listed on his website www.shoot.ie

He has copied and pasted direct from NF website but prices are in €€€€ NXS 5.5-22x56 €1588.43

He has copied and pasted direct from NF website but prices are in €€€€ NXS 5.5-22x56 €1588.43
    Your a sound guy;)

pat58 wrote: »
    Your a sound guy;)

I try to help when I can.
    I found out all that stuff the hard way.

Nightforce are a great scope for what you give for them.
    I bought 2, I'll buy a 3rd before the summer is out, all things going well.

I had toyed with importing them at the time but decided against it.
    I would also recommend Burris tactical mounts as the NF are very expensive.

The Caveat being the scope with a 56mm bell sits quite high, hence my purchase of a Karsten cheek piece.
    So Vic I would consider a karsten also, €57 and you have a real shooter :D

I try to help when I can.
    I found out all that stuff the hard way.

Nightforce are a great scope for what you give for them.
    I bought 2, I'll buy a 3rd before the summer is out, all things going well.

I had toyed with importing them at the time but decided against it.
    I would also recommend Burris tactical mounts as the NF are very expensive.

The Caveat being the scope with a 56mm bell sits quite high, hence my purchase of a Karsten cheek piece.
    So Vic I would consider a karsten also, €57 and you have a real shooter :D
    I said your sound and your not happy:rolleyes: If i call my self ferg will you like me then ;), I only came on to say that optics whare house are doing some great offers;)

The Caveat being the scope with a 56mm bell sits quite high,,..........

I had a big post all written out then re-read your post and realised i was taking it up wrong.

Anyway, 56mm or 50mm. You only see half the difference so the 56mm actually sits 3mm higher than the 50mm. Thats 0.11 inches. Nothing really.

I will agree on the Karsten. If for nothing else the comfort value. It is more positional than a standard cheek riser on most/all rifles. Looks somewhat "out of place", but if looking for clean hits or good scores i don't care about looks.

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    I had a big post all written out then re-read your post and realised i was taking it up wrong.

Anyway, 56mm or 50mm. You only see half the difference so the 56mm actually sits 3mm higher than the 50mm. Thats 0.11 inches. Nothing really.

I will agree on the Karsten. If for nothing else the comfort value. It is more positional than a standard cheek riser on most/all rifles. Looks somewhat "out of place", but if looking for clean hits or good scores i don't care about looks.

I agree about the comfort thing, the less stress the easier the shooting.
    The 3mm can be just too high for some, I could use it for 2 years, but I have more comfort since I bought the Karsten.
    I got some nice shooting this evening as a result of Karsten & NF, several rabbits in a Silage field. Last rabbit shot 22:05 just before light faded.
    I was on 16X with the illum on, Nice bunny @234 yards. Best today 322yards

I agree about the comfort thing, the less stress the easier the shooting.
    The 3mm can be just too high for some, I could use it for 2 years, but I have more comfort since I bought the Karsten.
    I got some nice shooting this evening as a result of Karsten & NF, several rabbits in a Silage field. Last rabbit shot 22:05 just before light faded.
    I was on 16X with the illum on, Nice bunny @234 yards. Best today 322yards

Even used in movies
    !!
    shooter.jpg

pat58 wrote: »
    I said your sound and your not happy:rolleyes: If i call my self ferg will you like me then ;), I only came on to say that optics whare house are doing some great offers;)

In a recession Irish People should spend as much as they can in Ireland.
    Every € spent has the affect of €4 in the economy.

And Nightforce are the business ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Thanks TAC, It will work out just about perfect for that model with €1600 to spend, I'll give Duffys a buzz tomorrow.
    Well by the sounds of it, Nightforce scopes are well liked by you guys and thats good enough for me.
    Thanks for all the info. lads, ye just made my mind up for me!!!

Thanks TAC, It will work out just about perfect for that model with €1600 to spend, I'll give Duffys a buzz tomorrow.
    Well by the sounds of it, Nightforce scopes are well liked by you guys and thats good enough for me.
    Thanks for all the info. lads, ye just made my mind up for me!!!

Honestly i think Little can touch them, McBride in athlone sells them also if Distance is an issue.

Once you buy one you will never go back!
    Built of strong stuff, Built to last.
    I'd love a few more if I could afford them

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

was going to buy nightforce myself but couldnt push the budget any further (herself was about to have a cannery:p:p) so i went for IOR. spent just over €1200 for mine and think it was money well spent. when you look at it, its basically a Zeiss for less money. anyway, with either scope you cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have both Nightforce and IOR [as well as Hensoldt and S&B] - YOU decide -

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-5666.html
    http://www.border-barrels.co.uk/telescopic-sights-8-c.asp
    tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Have Nightforce 12-42x56. Bought new about 7 years ago and now on it's third rifle, even had to cut it out of the last set of rings as some of the screws had been overtightened. Unstoppable and well worth the money. You'll only cry once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I know a dealer that has a brand new 5.5-22x56 with a MLR rect. that can be bought for €1300.
    Or at least it was still there a few weeks ago.
    I was thinking of buying it myself but I've spent WAY too much this year on shooting already.

• Advertisement

I know a dealer that has a brand new 5.5-22x56 with a MLR rect. Hat can be bought for €1300.
    Or at least it was still there a few weeks ago.
    Inwas thinking of buying it myself but I've spent WAY too much this year on shooting.

Give OP the county where it is, or PM him the details.

Advertisement