Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurooptics - NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Give OP the county where it is, or PM him the details.

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

In a recession Irish People should spend as much as they can in Ireland.
    Every € spent has the affect of €4 in the economy.

And Nightforce are the business ;)
    Quiet noble of you tac ,But in this economy i believe the best option is value for money ,And if a scope can be bought a euro cheaper else ware ,Then thats the place to buy ,Ware i come from there is an old saying a penny saved is a penny earned;) But lets face it we are not talking about a penny ,Are we;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

pat58 wrote: »
    Quiet noble of you tac ,But in this economy i believe the best option is value for money ,And if a scope can be bought a euro cheaper else ware ,Then thats the place to buy ,Ware i come from there is an old saying a penny saved is a penny earned;) But lets face it we are not talking about a penny ,Are we;)

Aaha, I foresee a minor problem here - since my name is tac. For a moment I thought I was getting a KUTA for a post I hadn't made, until I read it carefully.

I might have to change my name to avoid having somebody else's opinions attributed to me....

However, with the prices you guys have to pay for just about everything, I DO agree with this one. ; )

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tac foley wrote: »
    Aaha, I foresee a minor problem here - since my name is tac. For a moment I thought I was getting a KUTA for a post I hadn't made, until I read it carefully.

I might have to change my name to avoid having somebody else's opinions attributed to me....

However, with the prices you guys have to pay for just about everything, I DO agree with this one. ; )

tac

No need to change your name tac.
    On the point of buying cheapest, one could be penny wise, pound foolish.
    If a guy can buy a scope in ireland spendinng his cash in Ireland, for a price he is willing to pay.
    We gave the queen our shillin for long enough, we try when we can to keep money in the country.
    Nightforce scopes can be bought here quite reasonable and are of the utmost quality, so at least the revenue has a % spent in our country, keeping jobs in our country.
    But as this is off thread I fill finish on this.
    Too many threads seem to be going off topic lately.
    Nightforce scopes are readily available in Ireland for reasonable rates, AFAIK the OP is quiet happy buying here where they come with a dealers warranty under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980.;)
    So if the user for any reason is not happy he can get his money back, much more difficult if purchased over seas;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have a 12-42x56 Nightforce bought from Duffy's in Galway, have it about 4 years I think

Pros:
    Build quality is great and scope is rugged. Works flawlessly, glass is good even at 42 times magnification I can still focus the scope perfectly with no issues.

Cons:
    Price. Eye piece rotates when increasing magnification so it can be tricky using a protective cover for the eye piece. Poor transmission of colour, while the scope focuses perfectly I find the image is washed out colour wise. Don't know why but it is very apparent between my scope and a friends varmint Leupold. Could be because my model is the 12-42 model and wouldn't be the best for light transmission anyway. As with most scopes I have ever used at the highest magnification it takes a few seconds to settle and line up the eye relief perfectly but it is worth mentioning anyway. My reticle is in the second focal plane and therefore has the associated drawbacks and makes the fancy reticle a bit redundant unless at the specified R magnification setting(think it's about 24 or 26).

My advice is get the 8-32x56 scope if you want long range varminting, from memory I think it has more MOA adjustment. You don't really need the super high magnification (32 is a load anyway) and with the lower mag I guess it might be better at colour transmission than mine.

• Advertisement

Oh and I have a rule

If spending lots of money on non consumable items I ask myself, "What if this breaks? How easily can I get it repaired or replaced?"

Generally I prefer to go with a well established bricks and mortar shop with a proven track record for customer service as opposed to a faceless website. Especially if the difference is only 50-100 euro.

Nothing to do with promoting the Irish economy, purely to do with my own selfish wish for a quieter life if something does go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

No need to change your name tac.
    On the point of buying cheapest, one could be penny wise, pound foolish.
    If a guy can buy a scope in ireland spendinng his cash in Ireland, for a price he is willing to pay.
    We gave the queen our shillin for long enough, we try when we can to keep money in the country.
    Nightforce scopes can be bought here quite reasonable and are of the utmost quality, so at least the revenue has a % spent in our country, keeping jobs in our country.
    But as this is off thread I fill finish on this.
    Too many threads seem to be going off topic lately.
    Nightforce scopes are readily available in Ireland for reasonable rates, AFAIK the OP is quiet happy buying here where they come with a dealers warranty under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980.;)
    So if the user for any reason is not happy he can get his money back, much more difficult if purchased over seas;)
    Little heads up tack:rolleyes:....at least 90% of all scopes and other gear are sold through a euro agents ..ie england .....to irish dealers and then on to us irish shooters;).So by saying anything about the queens shillen is a little backward and so yester..year:(.If irish dealers have a problem with warranty on a scopes because it wasent baught from his or her shop and they lost out on their cut ,your dealing with the wrong gun shop. A wise man once told never argue with a fool, He will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ,
    I was under the belief this tread was about scope selection , sales , Experance and the odd bit of fact :rolleyes:

Sorry about the hijack ,Back on topic;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

............We gave the queen our shillin for long enough, we try when we can to keep money in the country............

Proper little Republican aren't you :rolleyes:

The proper term is "taking the Queen/King's shilling" and it refers to the payment of a shilling that a new recruit recieved as an enlistment bonus when he enlisted into the British Army and which the Irish have used in a derogratary way to those same Irishmen, even up to the current day ;)

Now for us to keep our shillings, how many English companies now do business with our beloved country and provide jobs here, which are badly needed. I know lots of lads who once again have emigrated to England as things have gone tits up here AGAIN. I have spent time working in England and was bloody glad of a job there as there was sod all here for me at the time !!!!!!

Bloody plastic Republicans :rolleyes:

But to get back on topic....buy where ever you get best price as apparently these scopes are bomb proof, according to our resident expert who seems to be doing an awful lot of back seat modding too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, gentlemen, I have no ax to grind, no any vested interests, since I have at least one of most of the later scopes, and a good few of the older ones too on a selection of rifles from .22 to .308win [and a handgun, too].

Sooooooooo, I'll gently point you in the direction of the latest issue of the UK's only on-line shooting magazine - http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/ - page 17, to be precise, and let you all have a read of the article there.

Certainly worth a look, IMO.

And for those of you [quite a few, as far as I can see] who have capacious amounts of money to spend, don't overlook US Optics in your rush to be parted from much of your bank balance.

As for me and my opinion, I'll buy whatever looks best to me when I peer through it, regardless who makes it. But then, since I'm already over my limit as far as new guns are concerned, it is all p & w for me. : (

tac

Vegeta wrote: »
    Oh and I have a rule

If spending lots of money on non consumable items I ask myself, "What if this breaks? How easily can I get it repaired or replaced?"

Generally I prefer to go with a well established bricks and mortar shop with a proven track record for customer service as opposed to a faceless website. Especially if the difference is only 50-100 euro.

Nothing to do with promoting the Irish economy, purely to do with my own selfish wish for a quieter life if something does go wrong.

I suppose I am wasting my time promoting the Irish economy as nobody will heed it.( I personally try to buy Irish or support Irish traders if the price difference is small. A lot of RFD's are feeling the pressure like everyone else, for various reasons including licencing)

My main point is if for some reason something goes wrong with scope it is better to be able to bring it back to the shop.
    I'd deffo agree on the 8-32 for varminting. I got 4 nice rabbits today with said scope all head shots in excess of 200 yards.
    I have known of a few collegues of mine having difficulty with min of 12x scope.
    The 8x is fine for shooting from the shoulder.
    The 5.5-22 is better for hunting as it works better in dull conditions and very fast sight acquisition.
    If a scope breaks or was damaged through user neglect they can be brought back to dealer/Importer and then back to manufacturer if needed.
    I have bought some low cost items online, Patsat tried to buy a bushnell yardage pro scope and AKAIK US Homeland security stopped it at customs.

Going to Europe for a purchase is fine, but if the price is +/- €50 here why bother?
    in regards to magnification, it actually works better on cool bright days n high mag as on hot days the high mag mags mirage too, which is a skill to read correctly.
    Butler creek lens cap for front is only needed, stops drops of rain when rifle is slung, not really necessary on eye piece, as the eye piece revolves as Vegata already mentioned. I would not bother with sunshade for hunting, i only use it in summer on the varmint, I have it off the Stalking scope as it gets a smidgen more light I think without
    So OP if it is for €1350~ in Ireland, then why go else where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

when i was looking to buy a nightforce last year i was thinking of buying from the states but then i was told of all the drawbacks as said above. turns out the ior scope was roughly the same price here as in other countries; not even €100:cool:
    proves that if you shop around there are deals to be got...........even in ireland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I rang Duffys of Galway today and got him to out away a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope with the NP-R2 reticle, I was looking at this reticle on opticsplanet.com as it shows up close what the reticles are like and I liked this one, so i said feck it....I'll av one !!!!!
    Have read plenty of good reviews on the NXS scopes and am glad I'm getting to spend my cash at home.
    Have to agree aswell that its always a lot better to have dealt with a shop rather then a website if things go wrong especially when your talking about a decent amount of cash.
    Thanks for all the help and info lads, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Vegeta wrote: »
    Cons:
    Price.......

Agree with everything except the price thing.

The price of them up to a year or so ago were over the €2K mark, but they have slowly dropped. Compare that to some S&Bs and especially Swarovski. €2500+ with less mag power and no discernable extra clarity, and thats only up to 800 yds.

Now i'm not a Nightforce "groupie". Yes i have a few, but thats after trying other scopes and mine are all used solely for target work during the day so i've no comments to make on dusk/dawn shooting, etc, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Buy 2nd hand....I have had two 2nd hand nightforces over the years and me thinks a 2nd hand high end scope is just as good as a new one...
    I picked up a mint nxs 8-32x56 18 months ago for 850 stirling.
    Just recently got a mint 2nd hand zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 for my 7mm08 stalking rifle for 400 euro.....
    I just recently saw a nxs 4-15 x 56 for 650 stirling...If I had the funds that would be mine aswell for my fox gun..

It pays to shop around on other hunting forums...

ezridax wrote: »
    Agree with everything except the price thing.

The price of them up to a year or so ago were over the €2K mark, but they have slowly dropped. Compare that to some S&Bs and especially Swarovski. €2500+ with less mag power and no discernable extra clarity, and thats only up to 800 yds.

Now i'm not a Nightforce "groupie". Yes i have a few, but thats after trying other scopes and mine are all used solely for target work during the day so i've no comments to make on dusk/dawn shooting, etc, etc.

I agree with every point you've made there ezridax but I'd consider price a con with all of those scopes.

dwighet wrote: »
    Buy 2nd hand....I have had two 2nd hand nightforces over the years and me thinks a 2nd hand high end scope is just as good as a new one...
    I picked up a mint nxs 8-32x56 18 months ago for 850 stirling.
    Just recently got a mint 2nd hand zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 for my 7mm08 stalking rifle for 400 euro.....
    I just recently saw a nxs 4-15 x 56 for 650 stirling...If I had the funds that would be mine aswell for my fox gun..

It pays to shop around on other hunting forums...

I concur, I bought the 8-32 new; But I got the 5.5-22x56 of same dealer second hand for closer to a grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there is better scopes out there for the same money as nightforce .

iv a nxs i dont think its as good as my TDS4

jwshooter wrote: »
    there is better scopes out there for the same money as nightforce .

iv a nxs i dont think its as good as my TDS4

tds4? whats that mate?

tds4? whats that mate?

It's a swarovski, I had a 6-24x50 model, I still pefer my NF 8-32x56, far easier scope to use, especially with paralax at fingers reach

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

tds4? whats that mate?

It's the reticle in a Swarovski.

• Advertisement

I got it now...Have had a peek through one myself...Was impressed..

I got it now...Have had a peek through one myself...Was impressed..

Aye, was going to buy one when I stumbled across my S&B. To be honest, it's a complete toss-up which I'd get if I were buying again in terms of quality, both are properly exceptional. For the SFP reticle, I'd probably take the Swaro, but you couldn't go wrong with either.

I had one a few years back, around 2003. I had it as a stalking/varmint scope.

The fine reticle of a NF with Illum IMHO makes a powerful combination.
    The swarovski parallax adj on the front of the scope is no good in the field.
    A field scope parallax adj is far more useful near to fingers so you can keep your eye on the ball so to speak.;)
    + the mag on Swarovski is to low for varminting over 300 yards IMHO.

16x is more than enough with a fine reticle like the TDS4. Wouldn't be great with my S&B, but that's a limitation of the FFP design. jw had a bunny at 705 yards with a 15x Nightforce as I recall.

16x is more than enough with a fine reticle like the TDS4. Wouldn't be great with my S&B, but that's a limitation of the FFP design. jw had a bunny at 705 yards with a 15x Nightforce as I recall.

Thats all well and good.
    I but the Majority of varminters I know prefer high mag.
    It's much easier to hit a target when you can see it ;)

JW may be the exception to prove the rule.
    a nightforce can be clicked onto target with ease whilst still be strong enough not to be click by rubbing of your jacket etc.

But you by accident proved another point.
    The NF reticle can get bunnies out to 705 lol

I have had both.
    I would pick NF very time.
    Especially in low light when the illum comes into its own on small targets!

There is a very valid reason why NF sales are on the up and up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I think its worth a mention here that the majority of sniper rifles seen on documentaries on tv have a S&B PM2 sitting on top of them!

And they surely picked them for a very good reason!

patsat wrote: »
    I think its worth a mention here that the majority of sniper rifles seen on documentaries on tv have a S&B PM2 sitting on top of them!

And they surely picked them for a very good reason!

Yes, who ever madfe them the cheapest !
    Only kidding, kind of;)

Irish DF use a fixed 6x42 or a 10X50 scope on AI 7.62.
    http://www.military.ie/army/equipment/weapons/inf/ai96/ai96.htm

But they want it for low light capabilitys and and precision is not a top requirement, plus snipers work in teams.

Less of the Military talk now ;)
    We want a rifl as shooters of varmints that we can see a small target in the distance and shoot it cleanly.

precision is not a top requirement

Are you being serious?!:eek:

What about the record sniper shot at 8,120 ft?! If that ain't precision I don't know what it! And may I add that gun was topped with a S&B 5-25x56!;)

I know its military talk but it is basically long range shooting tools..

patsat wrote: »
    Are you being serious?!:eek:

What about the record sniper shot at 8,120 ft?! If that ain't precision I don't know what it! And may I add that gun was topped with a S&B 5-25x56!;)

I know its military talk but it is basically long range shooting tools..

Hitting a target in the centre and hitting a target is the difference.
    I don't want to talk about sniping especially for the times that are in it.
    surfice it to say, Military, require tough scopes that aer reasonably accurate.
    can withstand sand dirt, grit heat cold etc etc.

A civie rifle/scope is designed to work in more moderate conditions, however the Military are using NF with special forces ;)

NF will be more popular soon, just like the migration from 7.62 to 5.56

The AUG has a swarovski scope which is not worth a Tinkers hoot by moder standards.

• Advertisement

Military, require tough scopes that are reasonably accurate.

I agree with what your saying but accuracy for a sniper rifle is surely essential...

Anyway point taken moving back to scopes so are you saying that S&B scopes are only reasonably accurate??:rolleyes:

Advertisement