Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurooptics - NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

....NF will be more popular soon, just like the migration from 7.62 to 5.56.

Or the possible migration by the US from 5.56 to 6.8 ;)
    The AUG has a swarovski scope which is not worth a Tinkers hoot by moder standards.

Funny I can hit what I aim at with it, including falling plates :p

You have alluded to the fact that are an RDF NCO so therefore you should know it is a battle sight designed for battle situations where an individual out to a max range of 300 yards all they have to do is place the centre of the reticle, in a perfect scenario, onto the targets torso and the bullet will hit them. And from my experience (on paper targets) it does this very well so obviously you are doing something wrong with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    I agree with what your saying but accuracy for a sniper rifle is surely essential...

Anyway point taken moving back to scopes so are you saying that S&B scopes are only reasonably accurate??:rolleyes:

No not in the slightest.
    S&B are in there class possibly the best in the world.

You are confusing my point Pat.
    One should not compare a scope designed for one scenario against a scope for a different category and market place.

You mentioned Military and S&B.
    I just pointed out that military decisions are for very different reasons and scenarios than Civilian ones.

And this is a Civie thread.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I just can't understand how you can say accuracy isn't important to them.. accuracy is important in any rifle for any purpose.

.........One should not compare a scope designed for one scenario against a scope for a different category and market place........
    The AUG has a swarovski scope which is not worth a Tinkers hoot by moder standards.

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction here :confused:

I just can't understand how you can say accuracy isn't important to them.. accuracy is important in any rifle for any purpose.

No, you are still missing my point Pat. The amount of accuracy is in question.
    Military use cheap ammo and tough components.

Civies mind there rifles like children
    The military wish to wound a target which ties up resourses.

Us Civies either shoot animals to kill or paper for scores and practicing.

Anything else is going off thread.
    And it is encouraging people who read this thread to have a dim view of hunters/target shooters as we are going way off topic.
    There is a seperate forum for this thread.

I'm trying not to blur the lines of this thread and another here.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/IN_THE_FIELD/in_the_field.html

Look at this if you question NF capabilities for us Civilian shooters.

• Advertisement

I never questioned Night force scopes once I just felt S&B scopes were worth mentioning in terms of a quality scope and used the numerous militaries decision to use them as an example of their proven track record, yet rather than accept the fact you turned it around into another pointless discussion. :rolleyes:

I'm sure many hunters will also recomend a S&B but you will probably have another excuse for them..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hmmmm, been following this thread for a while now.

Is this some competition to see how long can the one thread ramble on and on and on for.....? Or is this some attempt at a new world record?:D:rolleyes:

The O/P got the answer he was looking for waaaayyyyy back there by post #25.......We're now at post #67!
    41 posts later you're now discussing military versus civilian scopes!:confused:

Time for a new thread perhaps?:cool: Just a thought?:D

I never questioned Night force scopes once I just felt S&B scopes were worth mentioning in terms of a quality scope and used the numerous militaries decision to use them as an example of their proven track record, yet rather than accept the fact you turned it around into another pointless discussion. :rolleyes:

I'm sure many hunters will also recomend a S&B but you will probably have another excuse for them..:rolleyes:

No Pat, I have used and liked them, If I ever buy a Blaser R93 she will prob get a S&B, or Maybe Zeiss both fine scopes.

The point was lost after OP ordered scope Pat.
    I personally get a lot of stick for mentioning military stuff on other threads.
    I am trying not to mention it lately, yet people including your good self keep bringing it back up.

I admire your knowledge of firearms but I was just trying to keep on thread and in context.

I feel this thread has now run its course. Any new topics to start a new thread?;)

dCorbus wrote: »
    Hmmmm, been following this thread for a while now.

Is this some competition to see how long can the one thread ramble on and on and on for.....? Or is this some attempt at a new world record?:D:rolleyes:

The O/P got the answer he was looking for waaaayyyyy back there by post #25.......We're now at post #67!
    41 posts later you're now discussing military versus civilian scopes!:confused:

Time for a new thread perhaps?:cool: Just a thought?:D

Bad enough Tacwho back seat modding now you're starting :p

It's not backseat modding! At least it's not intended to be.
    It was just a suggestion to the lads.

But hey....am I bovvered!:p

• Advertisement

Oh but it is :p

Now I'm back seat modding the back seat modding :eek:

Now see here, mr. bunnyshooter, I must protest and moderate your moderation of my attempted moderation, all the while occupying this rather comfortable back-seat from which to carry out my rear-divan moderatorial activities!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/facepalm

So if we let a thread run on so people can chat, that's not enough modding, but if we stop a thread where people are going right off the deep end, that's too much modding, and if anyone says anything someone else dislikes we go straight into a meta-back-seat-modding conversation?

/facepalm

It's alright old Sparkie is about so won't be long before I'll be moderated or as Gardai say silenced :p

Sparks wrote: »
    /facepalm

So if we let a thread run on so people can chat, that's not enough modding, but if we stop a thread where people are going right off the deep end, that's too much modding, and if anyone says anything someone else dislikes we go straight into a meta-back-seat-modding conversation?

/facepalm

Aw come on see post above :eek::eek:

Have missed you about the place tbh ;)

Any chance you could make Tacwho a mod I reckon he's licked enough ass now :P

I'll be moderated or as Gardai say silenced

Suppressed?
    or
    Oppressed?

:D:p

dCorbus wrote: »
    suppressed?

sounds painful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Aw come on see post above :eek::eek:
    We aim to ruin your whole day :)
    Any chance...
    ...that I could ban a bunch of folk just to get a week of peace and quiet? :D

suppression:

abolishment, abrogation, annihilation, annulment, cancellation, destruction, dissolution, elimination, end, ending, eradication, extirpation, invalidation, negation, nullification, obliteration, overthrow, overturning, quashing, repeal, repudiation, rescinding, rescindment, rescission, revocation, subversion, suppression, termination, voiding, wiping out, withdrawal

Only some of them are painful!:D:D:D

We aim to ruin your whole day :)

I know you don't mean that we have had some good times here :p
    ...that I could ban a bunch of folk just to get a week of peace and quiet? :D

I suggest Tacwho ............. he's even more annoying on here than me :eek:

• Advertisement

he's even more annoying on here than me

ohhhhh.....must....hold.....back.....
    far.....too.....easy.........

noooooo........must.....not.....reply

:P

No Pat, I have used and liked them, If I ever buy a Blaser R93 she will prob get a S&B, or Maybe Zeiss both fine scopes.

The point was lost after OP ordered scope Pat.
    I personally get a lot of stick for mentioning military stuff on other threads.
    I am trying not to mention it lately, yet people including your good self keep bringing it back up.

I admire your knowledge of firearms but I was just trying to keep on thread and in context.

I feel this thread has now run its course. Any new topics to start a new thread?;)

Fair enough nobody is perfect nor are the scopes! Enough said!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

Yes, who ever madfe them the cheapest !
    Only kidding, kind of;)

Irish DF use a fixed 6x42 or a 10X50 scope on AI 7.62.
    http://www.military.ie/army/equipment/weapons/inf/ai96/ai96.htm

But they want it for low light capabilitys and and precision is not a top requirement, plus snipers work in teams.

Less of the Military talk now ;)
    We want a rifl as shooters of varmints that we can see a small target in the distance and shoot it cleanly.
    Tacwho can i have some of what you are on,
    Have you ever used the pm2 (i no stupid question you probably used the hubble telescope ):rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Pound for pound there is no was you can compare the pm2 to the nightforce ;),(different league )

Checked out both previously and have to agree with Pat58 here for me S&B is better option

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

pat58 wrote: »
    Pound for pound there is no was you can compare the pm2 to the nightforce ;),(different league )

Bold statement.

Let me ask you this. Have you used a Nightforce? In the last 6 weeks, three lads i shoot with have switched from S&B PMii to Nightforce. Higher magnification and better visibility at longer distances.

It is personal opinon and personal opinion ONLY that ranks one higher than the other. To say Nightforce are not even in the same league as S&B is false. Its your opinion, as i believe that S&B are an overpriced scope that falls short of the necessities of the average long range target shooter.

However just because i believe that may not necessarily make it so, hence the reason i never recommmend nor (bar now) run them down. I would recommend Nightforce as i have used them extensively and can vouch for their performance. As i'm sure Team USA F/TR can also vouch for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I baught a S+B PM2 some weeks ago but before buying it i looked at most of the hi end scopes ,first .This also included a nightforce scope .I found the nightforce as clear as the S+B PM2 out to about 600 yards but after that the S+B was by far the clearer scope .3 things i did like about the nightforce was the crosshair ,hi mag.. ,and price .Its so hard to divide these top end scope ,imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I baught a S+B PM2 some weeks ago but before buying it i looked at most of the hi end scopes ,first .This also included a nightforce scope .I found the nightforce as clear as the S+B PM2 out to about 600 yards but after that the S+B was by far the clearer scope .3 things i did like about the nightforce was the crosshair ,hi mag.. ,and price .Its so hard to divide these top end scope ,imo.

what will you put on your 7mm rem mag tom?

I have a Swarovski 6-24x50 at home .IMO, the glass on the Swarovski is even better the my S&B PM2.What i find is the clearer the glass the less need there is for hi mag.. So either one will end up on my next build,Dwighet .

tomcat220t wrote: »
    I have a Swarovski 6-24x50 at home .IMO, the glass on the Swarovski is even better the my S&B PM2.What i find is the clearer the glass the less need there is for hi mag.. So either one will end up on my next build,Dwighet .

What is your next build Tom?

• Advertisement

What is your next build Tom?
    Havent made a final decision yet but its looking like either the 7mm rem mag or a 6 XC .Will have to make my mind up very soon to have it built for the stalking season .

Advertisement