Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurooptics - NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Mildot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Havent made a final decision yet but its looking like either the 7mm rem mag or a 6 XC .Will have to make my mind up very soon to have it built for the stalking season .

Start a thread on it to show your progress, lots out there would benefit from your voyage of discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

This will complete my collection of rifles ,so i have an exact idea what im looking for my next build to do .Weather it be 7mm or 6mm .You should go first and start a new thread on your .223 build;).

This will complete my collection of rifles ,so i have an exact idea what im looking for my next build to do .Weather it be 7mm or 6mm .You should go first and start a new thread on your .223 build;).

I kinda did, but it was Hijacked ;)
    And I am waiting on barrel from NZ

I kinda did, but it was Hijacked ;)
    And I am waiting on barrel from NZ
    Lots of members like myself would be interested on how you get on with your new .223 project .Photos.....and more photos ;).

Lots of members like myself would be interested on how you get on with your new .223 project .Photos.....and more photos ;).

You start a custom thread and I will post, I have a couple of hi-jackers that love to contradict every word I post.(you know who :D)
    I have only a few pics to date. karsten, bedding. I never took a pic of the crown job.
    The barrel as I said is on its way.
    The trigger is in and working well, so too the karsten.
    Karsten was a great buy IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

ezridax wrote: »
    Bold statement.

Let me ask you this. Have you used a Nightforce? In the last 6 weeks, three lads i shoot with have switched from S&B PMii to Nightforce. Higher magnification and better visibility at longer distances.

It is personal opinon and personal opinion ONLY that ranks one higher than the other. To say Nightforce are not even in the same league as S&B is false. Its your opinion, as i believe that S&B are an overpriced scope that falls short of the necessities of the average long range target shooter.

However just because i believe that may not necessarily make it so, hence the reason i never recommmend nor (bar now) run them down. I would recommend Nightforce as i have used them extensively and can vouch for their performance. As i'm sure Team USA F/TR can also vouch for.
    I have used a new nightforce in the last few months , I have also used zeiss , swarovski and the pm2,
    As for over priced maybe , But i got a price for a pm2 at 1980 euro,;)
    As i clearly stated in an earlier its only an opinion and my experience, I never ran down nightforce but my opinion is the pm2 is in a league of its own,
    Team usa f/tr are sponsored by nightforce,;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

Weather you build a 6mm or 7mm , You wont be dissapointed ;),They are two great heads , Which cases would you run the 6mm and 7mm from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

World of difference between the 7mm Rem Mag and a 6XC. What are your deciding factors?

World of difference between the 7mm Rem Mag and a 6XC. What are your deciding factors?

1200 yard bunnies or paper? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

just on peterjacksons wed site some lovely mcs in stock , time to look for a 243 action in a 75 .

il get john green to build it 20" fluted walther barrel .

a very over looked cal .

• Advertisement

Both are good rounds for either hunting or paper, so there'll have to be a useufl deciding factor. It'll come down to expense, ammo availability and recoil.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    just on peterjacksons wed site some lovely mcs in stock , time to look for a 243 action in a 75 .

a very over looked cal .

There are a good few Sako short actions available in the UK if you keep an eye on Guntrader. Might be the easiest way to get it, thogh if you could get the action on its own, that'd be perfect. Sounds like a great project though, stick up some photos if you get it done.

Accuracy ,accuracy ........moa at 1000 yards or better .Barrel life is also a must .Both rounds have their pros and cons .The 7mm has more knocking power but the 6xc should be more accurate .

Accuracy ,accuracy ........moa at 1000 yards or better .Barrel life is also a must .Both rounds have their pros and cons .The 7mm has more knocking power but the 6xc should be more accurate .

Well, the 6XC is the only one designed as a target round, but it's still only a more accurate .243. If you want a bigger round in terms of hunting, then it's still quite small. However, the 7mm will have less wind-drift at range, but you'll pay for it with abundant recoil. Barrel life for either will be alright, but not great, and the 6mm should have the advantage there. If it were paper, then personally I'd take the 6XC, and just learn to dope for it.

Im not a target shooter but i want a setup that will best suit me for deer stalking and long range varmint shooting.

Well, the 6XC is the only one designed as a target round, but it's still only a more accurate .243. If you want a bigger round in terms of hunting, then it's still quite small. However, the 7mm will have less wind-drift at range, but you'll pay for it with abundant recoil. Barrel life for either will be alright, but not great, and the 6mm should have the advantage there. If it were paper, then personally I'd take the 6XC, and just learn to dope for it.

Actions can be bought in Ireland, I know of several guys who have them.
    I also know of a friend of mine who bought a second hand action for small money.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html#
    A good article on Custom actions

If Tom is going all out, then go all out ;)
    At the moment Ireland is in the process of having the second largest range in Europe.
    So get a round that is 1200 yards Capable tom if you are going pure custom ;)

Im not a target shooter but i want a setup that will best suit me for deer stalking and long range varmint shooting.

In that case, the 6XC is probably your best bet. The 7mm isn't going to be too kind on you for long strings whacking bunnies, while the 6XC will be a kitten. Still, if you foresaw yourself shooting bigger things like lots of red deer or boar, then I'd have the 7mm.

I think the knock down power of the 115gr at around 3000 fps will be more than good enough for stalking .

Actions can be bought in Ireland, I know of several guys who have them.
    I also know of a friend of mine who bought a second hand action for small money.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html#
    A good article on Custom actions

If Tom is going all out, then go all out ;)
    At the moment Ireland is in the process of having the second largest range in Europe.
    So get a round that is 1200 yards Capable tom if you are going pure custom ;)
    It has to be a field gun not a target rig so 10lbs-11 lbs ,max.

It has to be a field gun not a target rig so 10lbs-11 lbs ,max.

ok, a Remington, or howa action with a trueflite barrel.
    Timney or jewel trigger.
    macmillian or similar stock.

a good quality scope of YOUR preference to meet YOUR needs ;)
    I'd go fixed Bipod as the swivel is great for hunting but by times I wish my fore end was a little more rigid when going past 350.

Most Important question?

When are you going to start your custom thread

a very over looked cal .
    Walther barrels are a great job,John;).

• Advertisement

ok, a Remington, or howa action with a trueflite barrel.
    Timney or jewel trigger.
    macmillian or similar stock.

a good quality scope of YOUR preference to meet YOUR needs ;)
    I'd go fixed Bipod as the swivel is great for hunting but by times I wish my fore end was a little more rigid when going past 350.

Most Important question?

When are you going to start your custom thread
    Action .....stock.....it not that important to me so long as it shoots ;).Everything else comes a far second to it been a shooter .

Walther barrels are a great job,John;).

have one on my 270

Action .....stock.....it not that important to me so long as it shoots ;).Everything else comes a far second to it been a shooter .

New thread?? :D:D:D:D:D

New thread?? :D:D:D:D:D
    Let me decide on a few details first ,before starting a thread .All will be revieled in the coming weeks ;).

I think the knock down power of the 115gr at around 3000 fps will be more than good enough for stalking .

Norma load a 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2953fps. That'd be my choice as a hunting round. I'd contact HPS about getting target stuff made, personally, or run the Norma stuff again. Good call on keeping it a field gun. Too many people try to have a target rifle and a hunting rifle in the same gun and it doesn't work. In your position, I'd use a Sako 75 short action and a Walther barrel. The stock and scope are of course personal preference. Good luck with it though, would love to see it when it's built. The 6XC is a cartridge I've a lot of interest in.

the bottom line is,loading will NEVER be legal hear.i know the midlands are getting a licence to load .

all RFD have the right to load as part of there licence ,but they cant get importation licences for the components .

iv loaded years ago and still have the kit ,would i risk loosing my firearms by getting nicked bring in the stuff .A NO .

all its going to take is one guy messing up and all hell will break loose.

so its grand to have these wild cats ,but getting stuff to put through them might become a problem

so its grand to have these wild cats ,but getting stuff to put through them might become a problem

The 6XC is a factory cartridge, loaded by Norma, so once you get someone prepared to import, you'll be grand.

The 6XC is a factory cartridge, loaded by Norma, so once you get someone prepared to import, you'll be grand.

i know that ,but your putting all your eggs in one basket .

i know that ,but your putting all your eggs in one basket .

Aye, personally I'd want to have a guaranteed good supply before I bought one. As a rule it's easiest to stay with common calibres.

• Advertisement

just rang my long range buddy , going to hit the hill/mountain . look out varmints

Advertisement