Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many poems?

Options
  • 30-05-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

3 poems in a poetry essay - enough?

Everyone has different opinions on this so I'm hoping that someone who either corrects, or knows someone who corrects, can answer me.

And I don't mean will 3 poems 'suffice', I mean will 3 poems still leave you eligible to get your A1 in the poetry question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chasing

i know that my english teacher always made sure we answered on 6, but she was quite rigid when it came to well everything,

but then i do rembering reading, i think in a marking scheme or revision book that there isnt a set amount of poems,

i think with the poetry question. its quality over quanity.

ure best bet, go on examinations.ie and see the english marking scheme, should give some idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I get a grind off of a fantastic teacher who corrects exams. You only really need three IF you write your answer in the Themes Style Imagery Language format, which is preferred. You need to have a good knowledge of the poet to write this way.

And if you wanted an A1 in the answer you should probably have a very good knowledge of five poems and choose the appropriate 3/4 on the day to suit the question. Hope this helps.

I'm studying Boland Longley and Yeats off the best. Might do Kavanagh night before. Longley was on original paper last year which is why he is expected this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

zam wrote: »
    And I don't mean will 3 poems 'suffice', I mean will 3 poems still leave you eligible to get your A1 in the poetry question?

Of course you will still be eligible, but your response to the 3 poems would have to be of the very highest quality. Why don't you just do 4 poems?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

kev9100 wrote: »
    Of course you will still be eligible, but your response to the 3 poems would have to be of the very highest quality. Why don't you just do 4 poems?

I find it impossible to write on more than 3 in the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd say 4 poems would be a safer bet if you're aiming for a higher mark. Although for the likes of T S Elliot you could probably work fairly well with 3 as they're particularly extensive (The likes of preludes and J Alfred Prufrock).:D But that's just my particular opinion....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

zam wrote: »
    I find it impossible to write on more than 3 in the time :(

Is that for all poets or just for some? Like the post above said, for poets like Eliot 3 poems should be fine but 3 is simply not enough for the likes of Kavanagh or Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I have 4 for Kav, Boland, Yeats
    It's just 3 for Rich and Longley...
    Hopefully Yeats will come up and it won't be an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I usually discuss four in detail and mention another two in passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I get a grind off of a fantastic teacher who corrects exams. You only really need three IF you write your answer in the Themes Style Imagery Language format, which is preferred. You need to have a good knowledge of the poet to write this way.

Ah is that the preferred order to construct your answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I have 5 for boland Yeats and kavanagh and 4 for Walcott and longley. Is that ok...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement