Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house Waterford

• 30-05-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Looking at buying a new 3bed semi in Waterford city. Seriously considering Cnoic Caislean in Ballygunner, Carraig an Aird at Six-Cross Rds, Kill St Lawrence (near St Johns Pk) & The Paddocks (Williamstown Rd)

Does anyone have advice on these areas? Esp Carriag an Aird & Kill St Lawrence?

Ta :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Exceptionally good value to be had in oakridge in ferrybank too. It on the bus route and traffic is a lot quieter in ferrybank these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

molly_10 wrote: »
    Hi

Looking at buying a new 3bed semi in Waterford city. Seriously considering Cnoic Caislean in Ballygunner, Carraig an Aird at Six-Cross Rds, Kill St Lawrence (near St Johns Pk) & The Paddocks (Williamstown Rd)

Completely different neighborhoods. Maybe you could give a few indicators of what your criteria are namely:

Does it need to be close to work?
    Is it for renting?
    Do you mind having a large % of the houses around you rented out?
    etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

kill st lawrence some spot,quality of the houses are very good,quiet spot , schools,shops,hospital all nearby esp if yer driving,cant fault it myself(sis and her husband live there plus two of the lads i hang around with live there with their missus' and kids) great value atm considerin what they cost a while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

anplaya wrote: »
    kill st lawrence some spot,quality of the houses are very good,quiet spot , schools,shops,hospital all nearby esp if yer driving,cant fault it myself(sis and her husband live there plus two of the lads i hang around with live there with their missus' and kids) great value atm considerin what they cost a while ago

They,re still overpriced though.

think down from 280 for 3 bed to 190,000?considering greenfields is 179,000 for a 3 bed,quality of houses in kill st lawrence are ten times better.well wortht he difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

ye thats good,just noticed it was 4 bedroom too,only one picture up tho,hard to say what quality the build is like etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I assume you are not from Waterford?

I don't specifically know about Cnoic Caislean, but Ballygunner is the in the 'posh' part of town. It was a separate village until maybe 20 years ago or so. Its a nice place, has a primary school, scout hall, hurling team. A good place, especially if you have young children. There is a bus straight into town.

Its at the edge of the city, so you might get stuck in traffic early in the mornings, depending on where you are going.

I think prices in Waterford have a little bit to go, but judging from daft.ie they seem to be reaching a fair price faster than other cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Hi

The two housing estates you mention are in close proximity to halting sites. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone to buy there. That's not to say that the houses and estates themselves aren't nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I was thinking about buying a house but with the way the economy is going plus I believe we'll see further drops in housing prices and increase in interest rates, I'm going to continue to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

gscully wrote: »
    The two housing estates you mention are in close proximity to halting sites. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone to buy there. That's not to say that the houses and estates themselves aren't nice though.

Which two are these??:confused:

prob talkin about kill st lawrence,theres a travelling encampment up the road on the opposite side on the way to the old airport road roundabout.dont think its an offical halting sight,more they just camped up there and authorities havent moved them on.tbh ive never see any travellers hanging around kill st lawrence.plenty of settled travellers living in st johns park area,big deal.

other one is prob the halting site at the six cross roads.

The two the OP specifically requested info on - Carraig an Ard and Kill St Lawrence.
    prob talkin about kill st lawrence,theres a travelling encampment up the road on the opposite side on the way to the old airport road roundabout.dont think its an offical halting sight,more they just camped up there and authorities havent moved them on.tbh ive never see any travellers hanging around kill st lawrence.plenty of settled travellers living in st johns park area,big deal.

Big deal? Are you forgetting the trouble that happened last year?

wasnt any trouble in kill st lawrence far as i know.

wasnt any trouble in kill st lawrence far as i know.

No, just 200m down the road in Birchwood :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 molly_10

Thanks a mil for all your replies...

We're stuck between Cnoic Caislean and Kill St Lawrence.... we've had an offer accepted on both (Kill St Lawrence 10k more). Simelarly laid out houses... 3 bed, 3 bath. Kill St L is 200 sq ft bigger but the area is obvoiusly not as good as Ballygunner....:confused:

other one is prob the halting site at the six cross roads.

Ah right ye.....i get ya!! Thanks:)

Where exactly is Cnoic Caislean?? I know where the paddocks is.......is it around there???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Where exactly is Cnoic Caislean?? I know where the paddocks is.......is it around there???:confused:

It's down in Ballygunner Village across from the church afaik. Go straight out the Dunmore Road and turn right up the hill at Becketts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hey OP,

I actually own a 3 bed semi in Cnoic Caislean and I have to say I can't fault it. Bought it last year so had all the same choices you are looking at. I'm not a snob and never wanted to live in a "posh area"; I'm from Hillview and have family all over the city so that's just not me.

But we rented on the Williamstown Road and just loved the area. The way I looked at it when comparing is that the potential for trouble and hassle is far greater in the likes of Kill St. Lawrence than it is out here. And I think it's especially true of Cnoic Caislean due to the fact that there are established estates all around. There are lots of young families in the area and the most trouble we've had is someone playing knock-a-dolly!

I think the layout of the 3 bed semi here makes very good use of the space. There's a good mix of people living in the estate although I'd say the majority is young (20s - early 30s) couples. Realy delighted here and haven't regretted the decision for a second.

The reality is that you could live in Kill St. Lawrence for your whole life and not have a bit of trouble and you could live here and have your house robbed in the first week but that'd just be bad luck. Like I said, my thinking is that the potential for trouble and bother is greater other places than here.

Any questions about the house or area, ask away or drop me a PM if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

OP I have a 3-bed out in Bishopsfield in Williamstown, nice area and have everything close by.. Cant fault the build quality either, very well insulated and the 6 years on, no problems with anything in it.

The Paddocks are built by the same developer and I do like the houses however I found them very narrow, especially the 3 storey ones..

A few 3 beds in there for sale at the moment, foolish investors who bought at the wrong time.. :rolleyes:

So thankfully its owner occupiers buying now and more families appearing in there which is a good thing, unless you have a brutal hangover and the kids are running riot outside when the sun is shining.. :D:o:p

nkay1985 wrote: »

I actually own a 3 bed semi in Cnoic Caislean ....Any questions about the house or area, ask away or drop me a PM if you like.

Thanks a mil for that! Great to hear good news about the area. One of my main concerns about buying in Cnoin Caisleans is the space... I know its small and you are paying for what you get, but is it too small?? I just feel the kitchen is v small and without double doors going between the kitchen & sitting rm it makes it feel less open. Also I know there are 2 council houses in the further back cul de sac.. has there been any bother with these? (I know its not very PC but I still need to know!)

Also anyone got advice on Kill St Lawrence??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Not very PC !!

You clearly identify 2 council house tenants and ask if there have been any problems with them .

What a snobbish attitude , I feel sorry for any council house tenants that have to put up with such petty people in their neighbourhood.

I know its not PC, i admitted it in the posting! I think its an honest and valid question that anyone spending at least 1/3 of wages for the nxt 30 yrs of their life deserves to ask!?

After reading the thread hyperlinked below, I think its a valid question(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891963)

Sorry if it causes offence....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

deise blue wrote: »
    Not very PC !!

You clearly identify 2 council house tenants and ask if there have been any problems with them .

What a snobbish attitude , I feel sorry for any council house tenants that have to put up with such petty people in their neighbourhood.

To be fair I couldn't care less about a PC attitude if I'm going to shell out the bones of €200,000 for a house.

The fact that a council house is renter occupied could make a difference. It could be argued that an owner occupied house will be better looked after and the owner will have a genuine appreciation for the area they've chosen to live in.

The same could be true of a renter occupied council house. However there also is the possibility that because they were assigned a house in the area they might not have the same appreciation for the area. Also because they didn't buy the house they might not feel the same obligation to look after it.

All these things should be considered before paying out a large chunk of money for a property you're going to be stuck with for a good few years if anything goes wrong.

It's offensive in that it presumes that a tenant of a council house is likely to be more disruptive than a owner/occupier in the same neighbourhood.

It smacks of snobbishness and class division.

What is worse is that the poster has clearly identified the two houses in question , hopefully the people in those houses don't read this thread and realise that there is a possibility of people with closed minds moving into their neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Thanks a mil for that! Great to hear good news about the area. One of my main concerns about buying in Cnoin Caisleans is the space... I know its small and you are paying for what you get, but is it too small?? I just feel the kitchen is v small and without double doors going between the kitchen & sitting rm it makes it feel less open. Also I know there are 2 council houses in the further back cul de sac.. has there been any bother with these? (I know its not very PC but I still need to know!)

In terms of your concerns about space, only you can decide on that really. The only thing I'd prefer is a little more counter space but I think the kitchen is actually fairly big; it's the entire width of the house like. I personally really don't like living rooms with two doors into the kitchen. It's not a look I go for. We've had 8 people for dinner in the kitchen comfortably so I don't think we're restricted.

We have a 3 seater and two 1 seaters in our living room, along with a bookcase, a unit that has the tv on it but isn't a tv unit (no idea what it actually is but it's not small), a nest of tables and a lamp in the corner and I don't think the room feels cramped.

Like I said, I think the layout of the house makes very goo duse of a relatively small square footage but if it's not for you, it's not for you.

With regard to there being two council owned houses in the estate, I didn't even know that so it's obviously never been any bother. I'm surprised you found that out actually as I didn't think that'd be a matter of public record. I don't think people realise it but city and county councils buy houses in private estates a lot. If you're worried about potentially living near someone in a council-owned house, then your only option is a detached house in the country I'm afraid. But, as I said, we've had no bother and haven't heard of anyone else having trouble here either.

While I understand where you're coming from and jonnyfingers' sentiments, the reality is that the vast, vast majority of council house tennants are just normal people who never cause any trouble. Anti-social behaviour only tends to become a problem when large estates consistingly almost entirely of council houses exist. This is one of the reasons that councils started to buy the odd house here and there in private estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

deise blue wrote: »
    It's offensive in that it presumes that a tenant of a council house is likely to be more disruptive than a owner/occupier in the same neighbourhood.

It smacks of snobbishness and class division.

What is worse is that the poster has clearly identified the two houses in question , hopefully the people in those houses don't read this thread and realise that there is a possibility of people with closed minds moving into their neighbourhood.

Are you using a laptop or PC up their on your high horse ?

It's not offensive nor is it snobbishness to point out any potential pitfalls about a house purchase, be they neighbours, bad fencing whatever. As has been pointed out by a previous poster, it's a potential problem that has been earmarked, not marked out as a 'problem'.

Junior wrote: »

It's not offensive nor is it snobbishness to point out any potential pitfalls about a house purchase, be they neighbours, bad fencing whatever. As has been pointed out by a previous poster, it's a potential problem that has been earmarked, not marked out as a 'problem'.

to be honest the op go way out of it,most people in town started out on a council estate,like i did. 2 neighbours ?pah i had over 6-700 at the time. most of them are decent ,hardworking ,just like their parents before them,circumstances permits them not to get the same kind 0f mortage as you.stop being such a duckhead.in my estate theres about 20 council houses and the people there are the salt of the earth even more then the people that own (have their houses mortaged up to the hilt ) yer more likely to have those peoples kids causing bother tbh than the council lads.

and ye ,if yer thinking about buying in kill st lawrence,youd better not,council has a few houses down there. ya dont want any of those people around you i suppose.lots of 'non nationals' down there too ,sorry for putting you off buying....

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »

You are quite right , it's only common sense to find out if there are potential problems with neighbours before buying a house.

The problems arise when you seperate people into different categories i.e
    owner/occupiers and council tenants and then presume that any problems will emenate from the council tenants.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who thinks on that basis are the ones on their " high horse "

Advertisement