Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Bus vs Citylink

Options
  • 30-05-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi does anybody know which is the quicker bus company to Dublin, i know Gobus use the motorway but im not sure if citylink still use the old n6?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

AFAIK they are both the same. I prefer citylink purely because you can get it cheaper. You can sometimes buy a ticket from Galway - Dublin for 1 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

They both do a non stop service. I think city link are marginally cheaper but GoBus has wifi on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup, but be careful, not all Citylink buses to Dublin are non-stop, but all Gobus services are non-stop. I marginally prefer Gobus!

And they both have wifi on board, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's a whole other thread on this, sorry my computer is being too iffy to search.

I prefer gobus, local company, cleaner buses (usually), more punctual and marginally faster (via motorway route)

Citylink are cheaper if you buy online sometimes, but I find the website to be a pain in the h*le. They are grand tho, and glad of their Clifden service! :)

The go two routes, the 'non stop' via motorway, and via the towns, be sure to check which.

Gobus also have the latest depts from Dublin back (11.15 pm and 1.15am)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

CityLink is cheaper. The times change fairly often so keep an eye on their respective timetables.

They both have very similar coaches now (some the same) and wi-fi tends to be available on both (twice it wasn't on GoBus).

I've yet to be on a GoBus coach that actually left the station on time. 40 minutes late leaving Dublin on Friday afternoon. A large line of people queued along George's Quay waiting for the bus from the airport - enough to fill an extra bus - but they still didn't board the two (yes, two) extra coaches there on standby.

Prior to that, coming back from Dublin, a group of people boarded a GoBus coach with wine bottles and other pisswasser in their hands, already twisted. The racket they were creating before the bus even had pulled off was something else and yet the driver didn't bother to talk to them, let alone ask them to get off. Yes, sounding like a cranky old man, but it was a needlessly painful journey for me and many others.

• Advertisement

Funny, I could almost quote you the exact same scenarios in reverse (Citylink being the baddie in my case). I kind of operated on the 3 strikes rule for them with regard to who I chose to give regular business to. I found the staff a bit rude sometimes (not all of them) Just goes to show it depends on chance half the time.
    Gobus is often my only option from Dublin, as I leave 11 at night. The bus is usually very quiet on the 11.15.
    That and the fact that gobus is a local company (vs Citylink which is Veolia) are the top two factors that inform my choice.

I still get Citylink to Clifden the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Does Gobus stop in Oranmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Does Gobus stop in Oranmore?

No, GoBus is a direct service. The only stops are the station in Galway, Dublin airport and Dublin city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

GoBus is direct and usually cheaper than Citylink. Them 1 euro tickets are few and far between.

Never going with CityLink again after the way I was treated once.

GoBus are local too. Citylink aren't Irish.

And Gobus staff are always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Gobus is often my only option from Dublin, as I leave 11 at night. The bus is usually very quiet on the 11.15.
    That and the fact that gobus is a local company (vs Citylink which is Veolia) are the top two factors that inform my choice.

I had a bad experience on a chartered CityLink bus a year ago (day was so hot the air-con broke ... we melted, and some folks go so sick the driver had to stop a couple of times).

Other than that, I've only had good experiences with both of 'em.

In case this thread comes up in future searches: the 11:15pm GoBus from Dublin to Galway is usually quiet. But the 1:15am is sometimes very full and booking is highly recommended. If you have a booking for it, and are ready at 11:15pm, they'll usually let you get on then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Zapho wrote: »
    And they both have wifi on board, afaik.

Just wondering, what's the wifi like? Is it free? Is it reliable? Is the speed reasonable? Do they have power sockets (asking a bit much, I know, but my laptop would never make it to Dublin without a bit of external power).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

forumfiend wrote: »
    Just wondering, what's the wifi like? Is it free? Is it reliable? Is the speed reasonable? Do they have power sockets (asking a bit much, I know, but my laptop would never make it to Dublin without a bit of external power).

About 80km/ph

JustMary wrote: »
    In case this thread comes up in future searches: the 11:15pm GoBus from Dublin to Galway is usually quiet. But the 1:15am is sometimes very full and booking is highly recommended. If you have a booking for it, and are ready at 11:15pm, they'll usually let you get on then.

Good to know, I have only missed the 11.15 once and the bus was definitely busier, but I got on ok. I usually just do a 'walk on' at the stop, so will bear that in mind.

Wifi is free, the last few times (I get them a fair bit) the wifi was great. In the past, the times the signal had been weaker, it tended to be the first and last half hours of the journey for some reason. No power source though. Train has that (but no internet!).

No, GoBus is a direct service. The only stops are the station in Galway, Dublin airport and Dublin city.

They also have a legal stop inbound to Dublin at Heuston Station (but not outbound)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    About 80km/ph

Very funny.

They also have a legal stop inbound to Dublin at Heuston Station (but not outbound)

Really? Cool. Its not on the timetable on the website though.

Really? Cool. Its not on the timetable on the website though.

Anytime anyone asked there wasn't any problem. They won't pick up there on the way out tho.

Anytime anyone asked there wasn't any problem. They won't pick up there on the way out tho.

Is it unofficial so? As in if you ask for it, because they are passing they will let you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I generally use CityLink for the simple reason they stop / pickup in Oranmore which is my usual destination when going Dublin -> Galway ...

I've also had the 1 euro galway -> dublin ticket when booking online before which is kinda cool if you manage to get it :D

Not the most comfortable buses I find but also generally not that packed
    (have done a bit of travel on spanish buses for 5 - 6 hours travel and my god they are comfortable ... doing that on Irish buses would kill me)

Haven't travelled on the gobus ones yet though I may try them out in 2 weeks depending on which are leaving next at dublin airport :)

CityLink also have wifi onboard most of their buses though I've mixed opinions on it ( 50% time great 50% flaky as **** )

Is it unofficial so? As in if you ask for it, because they are passing they will let you off?

I think it is a 'legal request stop' (the only one I believe). They are generally quite strict about stopping (except one looong story recently but it didn't effect the journey time). Any time someone stood up and went to get off, it stopped. But they won't stop if no one is getting off, there's no reason. Some Bus Eireann buses are like this too. If no one is at a stop or getting off, they won't pull in. So I don't think it is unofficial, but it isn't 'scheduled'.

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote: »
    I generally use CityLink for the simple reason they stop / pickup in Oranmore which is my usual destination when going Dublin -> Galway ...
    )

Does the Citylink you take then go on the motorway, or via the smaller towns all the way up?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

ethernet wrote: »
    Prior to that, coming back from Dublin, a group of people boarded a GoBus coach with wine bottles and other pisswasser in their hands, already twisted. The racket they were creating before the bus even had pulled off was something else and yet the driver didn't bother to talk to them, let alone ask them to get off. Yes, sounding like a cranky old man, but it was a needlessly painful journey for me and many others.

By any chance was this about 2 months ago and 2 separate groups of stags and hens who made friends on the bus and made sure everyone knew about it?

Aside from that experience, Gobus is by far my favourite

How exactly does one avail of this €1 ticket with Citylink? I have never been able to find it.

For me, Gobus only marginally wins for their constant direct service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

GoBus=Toilet=WINNER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How exactly does one avail of this €1 ticket with Citylink? I have never been able to find it.

You book via their website, and if there's one available it will show you. I've had it a couple of times - generally there aren't many available on their most popular services, though, so you have to book some weeks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

citylink are cheaper, but their seats are so tiny! very little legroom if the bus is packed. as said before, you can €1 tickets online with citylink, but can you go to the tourist office and get them there far enough in advance?

citylink stop in every bleeding place though. i was returning to galway from dublin airport and GoBus left an hour later, but was in at the same time! and the toilet really makes a difference. seats are much better, and have table :eek: on gobus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Wifi is free, the last few times (I get them a fair bit) the wifi was great.

Whoo hoo, I predict a trip to Dublin just to go Downloading music! Damn you Eircom, look what ye are forcing me into with your 3 Stikes!

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Whoo hoo, I predict a trip to Dublin just to go Downloading music! Damn you Eircom, look what ye are forcing me into with your 3 Stikes!

Now in fairness I wasn't downloading, just emails and surfing, so haven't tested that - best of luck with it tho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

No wi-fi on GoBus on the way to Dublin on Sunday. Aaargh! Router on board wasn't handing out IP addresses - might have just needed a reboot but imagine the blank stares were I to ask the driver.

There seems to be some confusion here about CityLink. They run both a multi-stop and a direct service. My housemate has used the direct service with one of their double decker buses. Seats wouldn't be the most comfortable, as you'd expect!

Did CityLink sort out the licence for the direct service yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

ethernet wrote: »
    Did CityLink sort out the licence for the direct service yet?

They are still operating illegally as far as I know - the case was adjourned or something the last time it went to court... I know the laws are a bit crazy regarding the licencing of bus routes but the way Citylink are just flouting them brazenly is as good a reason as any to favour GoBus as far as I'm concerned...

Advertisement