Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Bus vs Citylink

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Xandra

I don't want to start a new thread, so I will ask some question here.

My friends and I, 4 people, will go Dublin city-Galway this Friday on 10.15 or 12.15. I guess I will just go to George Quay and pay the fee on bus without booking.

However, on the way back Galway-Dublin on Sunday around 17.45 or 18.45;
    - Will the bus full during that period? Should I book online in advance??
    - If I book at 18.45, is it possible to take the 17.45 bus??

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd say give them a ring to be sure. I have gotten buses around that time, they were busy but not full. Not sure about if you booked a different time, I'd say if it isn't full AND if the one you booked wasn't full, you'd be ok, but ring them!

On Citylink, if that route is still 'illegal', surely there is some connection to insurance and full coverage for passengers being affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They now have a licence for the "direct" service. Paid E3000 to charity in order to get the Probation Act.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12590-citylink-given-probation-act-galway-district-court

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    About 80km/ph

haha... ah now ... 90 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

JustMary wrote: »
    They now have a licence for the "direct" service. Paid E3000 to charity in order to get the Probation Act.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12590-citylink-given-probation-act-galway-district-court

Ah totally missed that bit of news - Glad they have it sorted, I always wondered what the implications would be insurance-wise etc. if god forbid there was an accident while the service was illegal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Xandra wrote: »
    I don't want to start a new thread, so I will ask some question here.

My friends and I, 4 people, will go Dublin city-Galway this Friday on 10.15 or 12.15. I guess I will just go to George Quay and pay the fee on bus without booking.

However, on the way back Galway-Dublin on Sunday around 17.45 or 18.45;
    - Will the bus full during that period? Should I book online in advance??
    - If I book at 18.45, is it possible to take the 17.45 bus??

Thank you!
    This is one thing I've noticed, with GoBus at least. Would recommend booking online. It probably won't be full that early on a Friday. Those who have booked online and those with return tickets are asked to board first at George's Quay. Have never noticed this though when leaving Galway though - it's more a case of just getting there early enough to get a seat.

To answer your second question, I don't think that would guarantee your place. It might be best to book your return as open for now and then confirm your return trip when you're sure when you'll be heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

I normally go with City-link, as Go bus are (were?) in bed with Veolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

harryd2 wrote: »
    I normally go with City-link, as Go bus are (were?) in bed with Veolia.

It's the other way around I believe. Not sure if things have changed yet tho.

Veolia *did* own the Nestor link, but Burkes took it over
    See this wiki link from another thread. AFAIK gobus.ie is now a local Galway Company.

But now I can't find the Citylink connection (though there was one pointed out to me), and that is one of the main reasons (but not the only one) why I use gobus.

Anyone any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anyone any more info?

http://www.comfortdelgro.com.sg/global/bus.htm

Singapore owned company, one of the largest (if not the largest) transport company in the world.... (Nothing to do with Veolia afaik).

GoBus are completely locally owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

haha... ah now ... 90 anyway
    Buses are limited to 100Km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭notel70

I use go-bus for the following reasons

1. They are a local company - tuam man owns them, citylink are owned by the worlds largest bus company based in singapore,
    2. City link are sly and dishonest, they basically told the courts/radio/papers(via their UK pr company) that they did have a non-stop licence when they didnt(they have since gotten one), they knew their licence was invalid and while spouting all this crap about having a licence they were appling for a new licence!!,
    3. Go-bus upped the quality of the service massively, before them there was no on board toilets/wifi/motorway and they did all this for a cheaper price,
    4. Citylink are trying to run gobus out of business, having their buses leave 15mins before all the gobus's, offering unrealistic eur1 fares(think about it, how much is the toll cost, diesel, driver, EUR300k bus).

I cant see go-bus lasting in the long term(due to citylink running a loss making service so that they run their rival out of business, classic monopoly behaviour), and you can be sure once they go citylink will go back to running buses with no toilets/wifi and hike the price up.

support local business

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's the other way around I believe. Not sure if things have changed yet tho.
    Anyone any more info?

I can only find links between Go bus and Veolia. Never heard of City-link connection.
    eg: "GoBus in association with Veolia Transport Ireland" from Galway advertiser

But this may have changed recently

harryd2 wrote: »
    I can only find links between Go bus and Veolia. Never heard of City-link connection.
    eg: "GoBus in association with Veolia Transport Ireland" from Galway advertiser

But this may have changed recently

history of the two companies is as follows:

Citylink was originally set up by Jim Burke(brother of they guy who owns burkes buses in tuam) who then sold the company to to UK citilink(approx 5yrs ago) which is owned by the worlds largest bus company based in singapore.

Gobus started life as Nestors, nestors was bought by Veolia and renamed bus nestor, Jim Burke then bought the company from Veolia about 2yrs ago and renamed it gobus.

So go-bus is a 100% galway company, citylink isnt anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

So is there a service that goes directly (not stopping on the quays in Dublin) from Galway straight to the airport in Dublin on the motorway?

Motorway to Dublin and then on the M50, this is the most direct route is it not. According to the GPS it is anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So is there a service that goes directly (not stopping on the quays in Dublin) from Galway straight to the airport in Dublin on the motorway?

Motorway to Dublin and then on the M50, this is the most direct route is it not. According to the GPS it is anyhow...

Yes, that would be most direct.

But no, there is no such service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

FYI, Citylink outsources operations to Callinan Coaches

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0616/breaking35.html

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    FYI, Citylink outsources operations to Callinan Coaches

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0616/breaking35.html

Citylink have been using Callihan coaches on their non-stop gal-dub route since they started it(illegaly) earlier in the year.

Ever since Citilink Uk bought Citylink Irl from Jim Burke a good few years ago they have never owned a bus. They've hired in all their buses from other firms. Looks like citylink are just consolidating all their coach hire(both multistop and nonstop) to the one company.

Gobus were also using calliahans coaches but stopped using them about 2mths ago, think it was related to Jim Burke finding out that callihan was also supplying to citylink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

GoBus=Toilet=WINNER!!

*shakes head and facepalms*

both direct galway-dublin routes have toilets. Something to do with the law. otherwise they'd have to stop mid way.

Both have wifi

Both buses have similar fleets (though there are differences)

in my experience Gobus are slightly cleaner and I like to support the underdog.

Both follow the same route out of Galway and Dublin and both stop at Houston station if requested on the way to Dublin.

Both standard fairs are €10 each way or €15 to airport.

TBH it just depends what times suit you better, as they usually leave 15mins apart.

This is coming from someone who takes that route about twice/three times a month. I know what I'm talking about.

*shakes head and facepalms*

both direct galway-dublin routes have toilets. Something to do with the law. otherwise they'd have to stop mid way.

Both have wifi

Both buses have similar fleets (though there are differences)

in my experience Gobus are slightly cleaner and I like to support the underdog.

Both follow the same route out of Galway and Dublin and both stop at Houston station if requested on the way to Dublin.

Both standard fairs are €10 each way or €15 to airport.

TBH it just depends what times suit you better, as they usually leave 15mins apart.

This is coming from someone who takes that route about twice/three times a month. I know what I'm talking about.

100% correct.

Gobus = Galway owned
    Citylink = Singapore owned

Advertisement