Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - Snell's Law

Options
  • 30-05-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

When your graphing Sin i against Sin r which axis do you put them on ? I've looked through my book and the exam paper answers and they both say different things :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Doesn't matter really, I go with sin i on the y-axis but afaik you must invert the slope to get the refractive index if you do it the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Sin i (y axis) over Sin r (x axis) becuase the formula is sin i/sin r. Then you find the slope to get the refractive index.
    You could do it the other way around, but you'd have to be more careful when finding the slope.

My physics teacher says that it's fine to go against the book or exam paper's answers for graphs once they're done correctly and you get the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

Thanks guys

Advertisement