Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Level On The Day Of The Exam

Options
  • 30-05-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to drop from Higher to Ordinary level just before taking an exam or do I need to inform someone days or weeks before hand for it to be done properly?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Nope, it can be done on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rogers4815

Beautiful! Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Allowing in LC but not allowed in JC [unless your parents have informed the principal and he comes down to the invigilator on the day and states to the levels has been changed].

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

All my teachers have been telling us that it has changed this year and you can no longer drop :S

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

imo you shouldn't drop levels man, a C in higher level is equivalent to A in ordinary, or possibly more. You'll do grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Mwah wrote: »
    All my teachers have been telling us that it has changed this year and you can no longer drop :S

Your teachers are lying.

L.C. Students do have more independant choices, including what level paper they can take for an exam. I dropped from higher to ordinary French last year. There were no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Mwah wrote: »
    Rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Yeah, I heard that because of budget cuts they're sending out only whatever amount of papers that there are students for each level with no spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

unknown13 wrote: »
    Allowing in LC but not allowed in JC [unless your parents have informed the principal and he comes down to the invigilator on the day and states to the levels has been changed].

True, but not fully enforced. When i did my JC two years ago, plenty put up their hands and said they wished to drop the supervisor just changed their paper to the OL one, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Your teachers are lying.

L.C. Students do have more independant choices, including what level paper they can take for an exam. I dropped from higher to ordinary French last year. There were no problems.

I said this year not last year. They said this is the first year its happened but i dont know if they are just wrong

• Advertisement

Ruski wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard that because of budget cuts they're sending out only whatever amount of papers that there are students for each level with no spares.

So is this actually true?...

rogers4815 wrote: »
    So is this actually true?...

No spares is far too risky; if one thing happened to one paper (it got torn etc) they'd be up **** creek. They must have spares or they'd be up the crapper.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    No spares is far too risky; if one thing happened to one paper (it got torn etc) they'd be up **** creek. They must have spares or they'd be up the crapper.

So all in all, I'll be able to drop on the day?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

So all in all, I'll be able to drop on the day?...
    I'd say so.

Well there better be spares cause I'm definitely dropping to pass French. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 a_coe

i've asked my principle because i've gone back to 2 ordinary subjects and i was told i would need a letter from my parents explaining my level change and also that the principle would have to accompany a letter with this for the superintendent.

i shot the board of examinations an e-mail. if/when they reply back i'll post the response.

i don't know if it's still relevant but I did my LC in 2002 but a few people dropped to ordinary level on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

i don't know if it's still relevant but I did my LC in 2002 but a few people dropped to ordinary level on the day.
    Yeah I done mine last year and a lot of people changed from honours to ordinary French and I remember it. I'm going to be doing the same for french aswell this time, I'm a repeat. :pac:

i shot the board of examinations an e-mail. if/when they reply back i'll post the response.

That's brilliant, thanks for your help! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dropping is not a problem on the day (for LC).

It only becomes an issue if there is wholesale level changing within a centre. While the Superintendent may have a few extra copies of each level paper, if entire classes started to switch, they might need to start photocopying. In such a case, the school should let the SEC know in advance.

Be careful in some subjects as prescribed texts might be different at different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

a_coe wrote: »
    i've asked my principle because i've gone back to 2 ordinary subjects and i was told i would need a letter from my parents explaining my level change and also that the principle would have to accompany a letter with this for the superintendent.

The principal might also just be covering his ass. He probably doesn't want you coming back in August saying,' I don't have enough points for X course because I didn't take the subjects at HL - you didn't tell me'. Or if you came back saying 'No-one told me I wouldn't be able to do Business and French in university if I didn't have HL French' etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    Dropping is not a problem on the day (for LC).

It only becomes an issue if there is wholesale level changing within a centre. While the Superintendent may have a few extra copies of each level paper, if entire classes started to switch, they might need to start photocopying. In such a case, the school should let the SEC know in advance.

Be careful in some subjects as prescribed texts might be different at different levels.

Ya, I've corrected a couple of photocopied papers in the past. It only happens when a larger number than normal move down a level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

If you want to drop to ordinary level, you raise your hand when the Superintendent asks who is doing ordinary level.

That's it.

It's your decision and the Superintendent will assume you know what you're doing and have thought it through. Any parental letters, etc, asked for by your school is just your school's policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Just wondering is it possible to drop from Higher to Ordinary level just before taking an exam or do I need to inform someone days or weeks before hand for it to be done properly?...

Hey, just wanted to make the point, that very often the courses can be rather different, not very different, but in some courses the type of questions that come up can be rather different. For example in Ag Science, when our teacher got us doing pass papers for extra work, we all noticed the papers to be quite tricky, not that the questions were extremely hard, just quite different to what we would have been studying before. It could be the same for you on the day of the exam. Now I don't know what subject you wish to drop down to, but perhaps it's not the case in that subject. Needless to say, whatever you do, don't drop to pass english. It is completely different. I was browsing through a friends papers and their single texts are different, they only do two comparatives instead of 3 and they study poems, not poets. You'd be better off getting a d3 in honours.
    And by the by, its much much easier to get a d1 in a higher paper than an a1 or even b1 in pass. And a d1 is honours is 55 points, whereas a a1 in pass is 60. If you can at all stay in honours I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

I'm soooo dropping down in Irish. :L
    so unfit for it D:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

I'm soooo dropping down in Irish. :L
    so unfit for it D:

I dropped down to pass this year in irish. The higher paper is so ridiculously hard compared to pass. if your going to drop down, don't do any more irish. You don't need to.

Hey guys, the exam board did get back to me. Good news!
    Dear James

With reference to your enquiry I confirm every Leaving Certificate candidate has the option on the day of any specific exam to request whatever level of question paper they desire.

Once the paper level of the candidate’s choice has been handed out there is not an option at that point to change levels again.

Regards

Catherine Fallon
    Entries Section

Advertisement