Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Present for a Female..

• 30-05-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all. Would be so grateful if any of ye pro's here could help me.:)

I want to buy a present for a person (female 53) who has been very good to me over the past year. I know she likes to cycle. She is planning on doing Malin to Mizen in summer. I happened to meet her today and she said how she did 100km yesterday.

Now I havn't a clue about cycling, all I know is you need a bike/helmet (She obv has both!!:D) I'd spend up to €200 on the right thing(s). I think she has speedometer as she also mentioned yesterday how she hit 120kph for the first time ever or something!

All help much appreciated!
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Difficult to help without knowing the person involved-what she has already etc.
    I don't know a cyclist alive who wouldn't love a chainreactioncycles voucher- Safest bet I'd say.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1047

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Hi all. Would be so grateful if any of ye pro's here could help me.:)

I want to buy a present for a person (female 53) who has been very good to me over the past year. I know she likes to cycle. She is planning on doing Malin to Mizen in summer. I happened to meet her today and she said how she did 100km yesterday.

Now I havn't a clue about cycling, all I know is you need a bike/helmet (She obv has both!!:D) I'd spend up to €200 on the right thing(s). I think she has speedometer as she also mentioned yesterday how she hit 120kph for the first time ever or something!

All help much appreciated!
    Many thanks.

Firstly, that's a fantastic achievement to reach that kind of speed, well done to her, as for a gift, cycling clothing would be popular but that's very much a personal choice for most people, a gift token might be the answer in that case but that might sound like too easy an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A trainer maybe, but you'd have to know if they have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Jaysus you've taken your time to make your first post!

And 120kph, that some speedy lassie (Cycling Ireland have a high performance development angle that would love to meet her :p)

Anyhow as cycling gifts go you've a lot to pick from when your budget is that big. It's kinda funny in that almost anything you chose is likely to be functional to some degree.

I got one of these for Xmas and it's the mutts nuts - not just your ordinary cyclocomputer, it'll do your climbs, heart rate & cadence and will help you track and monitor your rides and training. Would totally recommend.

Carbon fibre road shoes
    and pedals - went down a storm with my OH recently

Some decent cycling glasses are always a nice one

Failing that you could look at some cool cycling kit - there's a world of stuff out there to look at. And +1 on the gift voucher if your unsure - it won't be a problem spending it if she's into her cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

It doesn't have to be cycling specific, she might like a present of a couple of nights dinner B & B in a posh hotel with leisure centre, spa and the like. And if it is located in an area where some scenic cycling is available, another +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Al Wright wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be cycling specific

Er, what?

I vote for bib shorts, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Al Wright wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be cycling specific, she might like a present of a couple of nights dinner B & B in a posh hotel with leisure centre, spa and the like. And if it is located in an area where some scenic cycling is available, another +

If she's planning on doing Malin-Mizen or Mizen-Malin, she might appreciate the above voucher for a night or two stay at whichever end she finishes - throw in a massage too and I'm sure it would go down a treat after the cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

a good pair of bib shorts of shorts ( Not all women like bibs ) a pair of assos ladies specifis will be very welcome by your ladie gift recipient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Camera?

But I agree with the luxury weekend with massage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I want to buy a present for a person (female 53) who has been very good to me over the past year. I know she likes to cycle. ...w she did 100km yesterday...she also mentioned yesterday how she hit 120kph for the first time ever or something!

not jennie longo by any chance :p

// Id go with the holiday/relax in nice cycling friendly scenic area, cant go wrong with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

a good pair of bib shorts or shorts ( Not all women like bibs ) a pair of assos ladies specifis will be very welcome by your ladie gift recipient.

Definitely agree with this one. Most people wouldn't drop that amount of money on bib shorts....but every single cyclist wants a pair!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31873

Probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Yeah Id also agree....posh shorts is always a good one!!
    Assos fo sho!!!!!!!

Get her a tub of assos chamois cream too..... !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Maybe she would rather an outfit like this and some chamois cream would go along way too.
    Better than Bibshorts

Advertisement