Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drops of water C&C

• 30-05-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Right so, I'm looking to ever increase my photography skills, and what better way than trial & error.

So I was reading about doing water droplets as I have one as my desktop and always wondered how the hell you catch them....

So I'll start with the setup and what I used to get the end result.

The equipment I used were:

Camera: Sony a200
    Lense: Sigma 70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6 Macro
    Shutter: Remote release
    Flash: Sunpak 888AFZ (Wireless behind subject would work better)

> Settings <
    Focul lenght: 200mm
    ISO: 100
    F-stop: f14
    Exposure: 1/200

> Accessories <
    Lid/Tray: Anything will do, I used a legobox lid, the colour will be the colour of your water, so clear plastic will be clear water etc.
    Lego man: (Pebbles, candles, coins etc) for putting each side of the tray so I knew where to put the bubble.
    Fairy: For bubbles :)
    Food dye: Red & yellow (whatever colour you want)
    Straw: For blowing the bubble
    Patience: Had some lying around the house

The setup:

60AFC9E1C9434324A79BB1206F60C823.jpg

The lego man on the left was used to set the focus by placing him where I planned on putting the bubble:

9E1A5C1B8A914ECA9914ECD5DE596532-800.jpg

Once I had the focus set, I took him out and started the drops of food dye

221595BAE3274C55AA2DE8DA3B3A9CDC-800.jpg

Got a couple of cool shots, but settled on the above one.

Then I replaced the dis-coloured water in the dish, and started again with clean water and fairy liquid. Again, I had to refocus using little stormtrooper.

After blowing the bubbles, and getting the focus right on them, I started to introdue the food dye:

FD8C1E9C19624454BACB5275EA89D07C-800.jpg

A bit of PS tweaking of contrast and brightness. It was very trial and error, but a lot of fun. I had the GF helping me drop the food dye as it was easier with two people.

So this is the final shot, this is what I was happy with after a couple of hours of fun.....

A4792DD5CFDA4E88A5CEC0D3B54FC7A3-800.jpg

As you can see, the flash would be better at the back of the subject, but yet another future investment I must endevour!

Set it as your background on windows 7 and it's magical :p

Any C&C on how these look, what I could have done better, and what I could try for my next setup much appreciated :D

Thanks guys

Tallon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I love the idea of blowing bubbles with fairy liquid and the shots captured. Very creative.

Only thing I might suggest is using a lower power on the flash or else bouncing the flash off a piece of card for less direct light.

Overall, the photos are great. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I tried this before but didnt get it half as good as yours bur i surrrounded the back with sheets of a3 paper (something like €3 in guineys) to reflect the light back

like a eegit i used a pint glass which does not have your wide area or so there was some spillage

the last shot is great.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Firstly you want to do this in a very low lit room. Ideally completely dark but that makes working conditions that bit harder so I would suggest candle light. Secondly use a longer exposure time, 2 or 3 seconds. As you will will be working in near darkness the images will not be over exposed. What you want to do now is try and sync the flash and the water drop. It will take a few hundred attempts until you get one, but when you do it'll be worth it. I usually go with f22 but f 14 will work fine as well. Straws are very very difficult to use. I got a broom and laid it over dvd's (this means you can change the height accurately) with a plastic glove sellotaped to the broom handle. The trick is you fill the glove up with water then attach it to the broom. Then pick a finger, pierce it with a pin and you now have a steady flow of water drops. For different colors I would sugest a gel but if you dont have a gel colored paper works fine.

Ideally you want to use a marriot syphon as this helps with water collisions. Thats the next step though. Work on you water colums and water drops and when you have mastered that try moving onto collisions. I'm in work now so have no images to show you but when I get home i'll post some.

Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

nice work Tallon

thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaggyM

You got some really cool shots - the first droplet one is my favourite.

I tried this myself for the first time a few weeks ago with a set-up similar to yours. I used a glass casserole dish as I could put coloured pieces of card under to change the colours reflected in the water.

I also bounced the flash off a different coloured card behind. You can get some interesting results playing with different colours.

I used a zip lock plastic bag which I hung from a tripod I centered over the set-up.

Looking forward to seeing more of your experiments! Getting those water drops to collide is my next aim:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Very nice! I have been trying this recently and know how difficult it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

For the first water droplet shot, did you just put a bit of food dye in the straw, hold it directly above where you wanted it and drop a bit out (out of view naturally), while simultaneously firing the camera? seems a bit to simple to be true!

and the other shots, did you blow a bubble into the water, with draw and fire?... sorry for these stupid questions, I can see myself trying it the way I said and failing miserably, unless that is how you did it!

Great shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

alexlyons wrote: »
    For the first water droplet shot, did you just put a bit of food dye in the straw, hold it directly above where you wanted it and drop a bit out (out of view naturally), while simultaneously firing the camera? seems a bit to simple to be true!

Well I used a spoon, but yeah, got the GF to drip it off the spoon while I quick-snapped it :)
    alexlyons wrote: »
    and the other shots, did you blow a bubble into the water, with draw and fire?... sorry for these stupid questions, I can see myself trying it the way I said and failing miserably, unless that is how you did it!

Great shots.

Yeah, well kinda. just put the straw in some fairy & water and hold the top with your thumb, then place it in the water and gently blow. (Thats what she said)

:D

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Tallon wrote: »
    Well I used a spoon, but yeah, got the GF to drip it off the spoon while I quick-snapped it :)

Yeah, well kinda. just put the straw in some fairy & water and hold the top with your thumb, then place it in the water and gently blow. (Thats what she said)

:D

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

Wonderful! thanks for that. Must give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

stunning !!!! well done, so creative, I have a 5D MKII and ex flash + L class lenses and have never come up with such good shots, just shows how far creativity goes

well done again .

- I will take this as a lesson and try some of these myself .. ;)

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    - I will take this as a lesson and try some of these myself .. ;)

Be sure to post it when you do :)

Cool shots Tallon. The other High Speed thread was closed for what ever reason just when it was getting serious!!!!!!!!

Anyway this was your spec

More? You want more? i thought that last picture would have filled you up... ah well

Camera: Sony a200
    Lense: Sigma 70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6 Macro
    Shutter: Remote release
    Flash: Sunpak 888AFZ (Wireless behind subject would work better)

> Settings <
    Focul lenght: 200mm
    ISO: 100
    F-stop: f14
    Exposure: 1/200

I wanted to ask you the following: Have you considered shooting in the dark?(or candle light anyway) That way you can have a longer shutter speed and let the flash capture the explosion/droplet/crown

Also how are you dropping your drops ?

You may want to read the thread!

So I take it you haven't tried shooting in the dark? That would be the best tip I could give you.

Also try fill a rubber glove with the liquid you want to drop and tape it to a broom handle. Pierce it one of the fingers and you will get a steady flow of drops. I used to use a staw so I know how difficult it can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

thefly wrote: »
    So I take it you haven't tried shooting in the dark? That would be the best tip I could give you.

Countdown to thread getting locked.... 5, 4, 3, 2.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That shouldn't happen.

Nice shots Tallon, I see you're using the same cam + lens as me. I should try some of this :) I've no off-cam flash though as yet :(

heres a few from me

594F863D0E904904A510F8BF87D0880C-800.jpg

B79F2610647E48959E5075CDDB58F7C3-800.jpg

A1D147FD3B8C44AEA621FB833867C09A-800.jpg

7F2B996F92EA4C1AB2A9495763A3FDE1-800.jpg

ABD0778F176C4343B93F2AE18CAAB386-800.jpg

0EDAB64D458A4E9DA348C26E00D8CEF8-800.jpg

That shouldn't happen.

Nice shots Tallon, I see you're using the same cam + lens as me. I should try some of this :) I've no off-cam flash though as yet :(

Thanks, I only picked up one recently (As you know :p) so once I get settled in the new place I'll try this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Mine is actually the 1:2 macro, much difference? BUT .. the AF is busted on mine, The camera just killed it, didn't even get a knock - so be wary when mounting it. Apparently those sigma zooms are notorious for dying on Alphas because of the power of the motor on the cam, or something. MF would be difficult for this typw of set up wouldn't it?

Advertisement