Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Playing X-Box Through My Laptop

• 30-05-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone know if I am able to play my X-Box through my tv such that I use my laptop screen instead of a tv screen, and how I can go about doing this.
    Just I moved away from home, and dont really want to buy a tv just for it, however would like to use my xbox every now and then.
    Regards,
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not the answer to your question but have you checked out steam for use on your laptop http://store.steampowered.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Yeah I think so.
    Your laptop could have a vga port. If so, happy days, just buy a vga adapter for the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I do not know of any laptops with vga in 99% I think have VGA out making what you want to do impossible I'm afraid.

However , getting a vga cable for the xbox and a cheap pc monitor could be a relatively inexpensive option if you don't want to forout for a tv, you would also need speakers but could also use headphones with the right (cheap as chips) adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

As calex said, 99% of laptops (if not every laptop, I've never seen different) do not have any means to accept input for displaying on the LCD screen. It's purpose is to display the output from your laptop, it has a different function to a monitor/tv.

You can pick up a second hand 14" TV for free (or very little money) on Adverts.ie - i gave two away free there a few months back myself. Then just play using the regular cable. Or if you prefer (and I would), pick up a cheapo 17" monitor and get a VGA cable for the console - better quality, even on the 17" screen.

I'd consider getting a proper pair of speakers for whatever you can afford if you go down the monitor route. The VGA cable comes with a Left/Right RCA cable (red/white), so when I was playing on my own monitor I thought I'd get a 2xRCA to Headphone jack cable and just plug in my headphones. The problem is the volume put out over those two RCA's is very, very low, so you will struggle to hear games without amplifying the sound somehow (i.e. with a set of speakers with volume control).

Just so you know, a set of headphones with an inline volume control wheel is not the same as an amplifier, the volume control only reduces/increases to the max signal received and as I've said the max signal is pathetic. €50 should get you the monitor and speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Cheers lads,
    I appreciate the replies. I dont even know what a VGA plug in is but guessing its not on my laptop. Sure I will have a look around for some second hand tv sets.
    Thanks for replying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

snack_ie wrote: »
    Cheers lads,
    I appreciate the replies. I dont even know what a VGA plug in is but guessing its not on my laptop. Sure I will have a look around for some second hand tv sets.
    Thanks for replying

This is a 'female' VGA port, very common on laptops. They are there to hook laptops up to projectors and other external displays, not for input. :)

800px-VGA_port.jpg

Advertisement