Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone want to check out my photoblog?

• 30-05-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

I've made one recently and it's here:

http://djordanphotography.net/blog

Just hoping to get a few to bookmark, or link to it. Or provide me with links to their photoblogging websites so as I can link to theirs.

Oh and C&C also accepted.:)

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I like it man. Text is hard to read with grey on white and also having the settings on the photo isn't really doing anything other that distracting people. You and I know what they mean but random people who know nothing will be wondering.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I agree about the colour of the text, too tough on the eyes.

But sure that easily changed, great shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mine is http://pacork.wordpress.com

I like your pics. I'll link to you when you have some more pics, Please feel to link to mine.
    BUT the text is hard to read
    not sure how to navigate (next, previous etc)
    I'd like if you could hide the tech details of the shot more- it's all about the pictures.
    btw- twiggy has a different title when you hover.

Good luck with it...
    Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

It's nice, but it's not very easy to navigate - there's no homepage, or at least not one up the top beside 'about'. I felt like I was getting lost!

But that said you have a very personal touch - it's got it's own image and doesn't look like the standard blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I love how you navigate the pics. Clicking on the image to go forward. Maybe it's because I'm from the facebook generation though.

As a beginner I love having the image info easily available, but when it is along the actual photo it does take away from the image. Maybe a subtle sidebar would work better.

I didn't mind the gray on white so much. But you write nice descriptions so if they don't pop out for some people they they may be passed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

dazftw wrote: »
    I like it man. Text is hard to read with grey on white and also having the settings on the photo isn't really doing anything other that distracting people. You and I know what they mean but random people who know nothing will be wondering.
    Scamp- wrote: »
    I agree about the colour of the text, too tough on the eyes.

But sure that easily changed, great shots!

Thanks Guys. I've received a lot of recommendations to change the text. I did last night before posting this thread embolden the text to see if that made a difference but it doesn't seem to have with you lot. I must change the colour of the text so to make it "pop". Cheers on that. :)

@dazftw The settings on the photos is currently just a fad i'm going through no doubt it will wear out. It's already starting to as it takes time to do if i'm being honest.

dinneenp wrote: »
    mine is http://pacork.wordpress.com

I like your pics. I'll link to you when you have some more pics, Please feel to link to mine.
    BUT the text is hard to read
    not sure how to navigate (next, previous etc)

I'd like if you could hide the tech details of the shot more- it's all about the pictures.
    btw- twiggy has a different title when you hover.

Good luck with it...
    Pa.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to check it out. The text is something that upon a lot of recommendations I will change now. The navigation I thought myself was pretty intuitive but perhaps as a latter poster has stated it could be due to the fact I am of the Facebook generation. It is simply click on the image to go to the next. No distracting pop out menu's just click and go. I thought it was more user friendly that way. As i've also previously said, the details are just a fad i'm stuck in at the moment. I'll change that now perhaps or just limit it's use and see how people like it then.

I'll fix that twiggy bug :) Cheers pa.

mehfesto wrote: »
    It's nice, but it's not very easy to navigate - there's no homepage, or at least not one up the top beside 'about'. I felt like I was getting lost!

But that said you have a very personal touch - it's got it's own image and doesn't look like the standard blog.

Hi, the homepage is actually the title bar if you click it it should return you home to the first page of the website. I can understand how you could feel lost though so maybe incorporating a home button beside the about would be a good idea.

Well to be honest, I wanted to have a personal photo blog and I think this is simplistic(perhaps like me :P ). I'm glad you liked some aspects of it please visit again.
    NothingMan wrote: »
    I love how you navigate the pics. Clicking on the image to go forward. Maybe it's because I'm from the facebook generation though.

As a beginner I love having the image info easily available, but when it is along the actual photo it does take away from the image. Maybe a subtle sidebar would work better.

I didn't mind the gray on white so much. But you write nice descriptions so if they don't pop out for some people they they may be passed over.

I'm delighted you like the navigation NM. It can confuse a first time viewer but once they find it out it's extremely intuitive. Good idea with regard to moving the technical details. I might incorporate a section beneath it even as I would prefer nothing along side the photos which would take away from them. (Personal Choice) I'll defnitely look at moving the descriptions and then report back here for further critique.

I didn't mind the gray that much but if i want people to browse you must give people what they desire and that is a more defined text. I do tend to put some thought into the descriptions, thanks for noticing. There'll be more to come so please do visit again.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The description text stretches the width of the page. Makes it uncomfortable to read. No image navigation back button. Had to use the back browser.

I like the shots, very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

nice and simple, great shots, would look better if the text was a darker shade and the comment box was aligned properly, looks confusing centered like that

oshead wrote: »
    The description text stretches the width of the page. Makes it uncomfortable to read. No image navigation back button. Had to use the back browser.

I like the shots, very nice.

Ah yes now that text, alignment wise I have been working with and I'm having trouble getting it right. There is a previous button though underneath the image. Perhaps it is not noticeable enough?
    CamperMan wrote: »
    nice and simple, great shots, would look better if the text was a darker shade and the comment box was aligned properly, looks confusing centered like that

Cool, text colour is being changed and the comment box is a bit wonky now come to think of it.

• Advertisement

Just has another look. I think the previous button and next button are the wrong way around. Hard to explain.... Previous should read next and vice versa.

***UPDATE***

Since this evening I have changed the font colour of the descriptions, fixed the alignment of the font so that it doesn't stretch across the entire page and I also fixed the alignment of the comments box.

Any improvement?

Your Next and Previous buttons are still switched.

If you click Next you go backwards and Previous goes forwards.

Your Next and Previous buttons are still switched.

If you click Next you go backwards and Previous goes forwards.

but previous actually stands for the previous post, i.e the day before... the most recent post is always first.

A Previous button, in web browsers, kinda leads you to think the last page you viewed. I think it should read "older" & "newer or "older posts" & "newer posts" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

stick-dan wrote: »
    but previous actually stands for the previous post, i.e the day before... the most recent post is always first.

That's the way my pixelpost blog works, what's confusing is if you look at the URL the numbers are the opposite, (actually I've just noticed you get two different URL's for the same photo depending on whether you click through on the image or use the next/previous links) it's a bit counterintuitive.

The new look is much better IMHO, though I'd still recommend moving the exif off the images.

stick-dan wrote: »

Now I know what you mean, but it still feels backwards. When you go to the homepage you need to click previous to see the next picture and next to see the picture you previously looked at. It's a bit of a mind twist.

oshead wrote: »
    A Previous button, in web browsers, kinda leads you to think the last page you viewed. I think it should read "older" & "newer or "older posts" & "newer posts" or something to that effect.

I'll implement that change when I am home later :) then I'll repost and see do you lot feel more knowledgeable of the navigation once thats done. :)
    nilhg wrote: »
    That's the way my pixelpost blog works, what's confusing is if you look at the URL the numbers are the opposite, (actually I've just noticed you get two different URL's for the same photo depending on whether you click through on the image or use the next/previous links) it's a bit counterintuitive.

The new look is much better IMHO, though I'd still recommend moving the exif off the images.

Yup, resounding majority for removing the EXIF means I won't display it any more. I liked it but the negative vibe it seems to be getting is putting me off of it. From the next post to follow the images will be displayed without the EXIF but i may place it in the description beneath
    Now I know what you mean, but it still feels backwards. When you go to the homepage you need to click previous to see the next picture and next to see the picture you previously looked at. It's a bit of a mind twist.

As mentioned above i'll implement the change later, (in work now) and see what you guys think..

Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts/ideas

Ok guys changes are made now. what do you think now.

For some reason if you click the picture to change to the next picture the Older/Newer changes back to Next/Previous.

• Advertisement

cool will look into that, nearly finished lunch now so will be later i'd say

amended actually just there now. Now what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Looks pretty good, but you all had me scratching my head about the whole older/newer thing until I finally spotted the hard to see writting. Perhaps if each page had a number or date, they whole Older/Newer thing would make more sense - just an idea.

Fair play to you for doing it, I struggle to post to Flickr ;)

Thanks it's something I'll take on board. Not sure how i'd like a page numbering system to be honest. I have a local version i'll try it out on and see how it looks.

Advertisement