Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm not religious, i'm spiritual

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

strobe wrote: »
    You said you researched it and confirmed that that was not infact the case.There may be isolated instances of acupuncturists for example refusing payment if their treatment wasn't effective but it is by no means common practice.

I never said I researched it and it wasn't true. Read the quote above this statement, where King Mob said he believes Chinese Doctors shoot lightning from their hands. You totally misread this and I have been trying to point this out to you for a while now. What I said was a joke, I've not actually researched whether these doctors can shoot lightning out of their hands, although I think Tesla actually could ;)

Just to clarify as you seem to be maybe skimming over my posts: I spoke earlier to my source of this knowledge,a trained biologist. What it is likely to be is up until the 1950s, before communist rule had completely taken over china, a particular branch of TCM practiced under the ethos I described, there used to be many branches before it was unified in 1950 that is where there might be confusion here. It wasn't free it was only pay the bill when you are cured, if you die you pay nothing I guess vOv

I'm guessing now it was likely the Buddhist branch of TCM, as it would be inline with their philosophies and their practices might have been brushed aside by the current Chinese rule.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

DeBunny wrote: »
    Alternative medicine is also a business. It just caters for a sector of the market that cares more about the touchy feely approach rather than results.
    The reason it's called "alternative medicine" is because it's an alternative to medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

JayMul wrote: »
    Just to clarify as you seem to be maybe skimming over my posts: I spoke earlier to my source of this knowledge,a trained biologist. What it is likely to be is up until the 1950s, before communist rule had completely taken over china, a particular branch of TCM practiced under the ethos I described, there used to be many branches before it was unified in 1950 that is where there might be confusion here. It wasn't free it was only pay the bill when you are cured, if you die you pay nothing I guess vOv

Indeed.......Am I still close minded for pointing out the inaccuracies in your original claim/suggestion that TCM doesn't charge unless it shows positive results? Still no chance of you retracting that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

robindch wrote: »
    The reason it's called "alternative medicine" is because it's an alternative to medicine.

Exactly. Very often ailments can be helped more adeptly by something other than 'medicine'
    strobe wrote: »
    Indeed.......Am I still close minded for pointing out the inaccuracies in your original claim/suggestion that TCM doesn't charge unless it shows positive results? Still no chance of you retracting that?

Didn't he already elaborate on what he meant, didn't he say he may have been wrong. Why do you keep pushing this, jeeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

[QUOTE=JayMul;66243976. It wasn't free it was only pay the bill when you are cured, if you die you pay nothing I guess vOv

I'm guessing now it was likely the Buddhist branch of TCM, as it would be inline with their philosophies and their practices might have been brushed aside by the current Chinese rule.[/QUOTE]

Way off topic but anyways...
    Anecdotally in history it was a case where doctors capitation was not "when cured". The doctor was paid while customers were healthy, encouraging the doctor to be proactive with treatment and not use cut-price treatments. Then there was a scale of expected payment based on cure rate.

Tried recently, didn't seem to work so well
    http://businessofmedicalpractice.com/chapter-20-2/

I didn't get the opinion that Jay was defending chinese alternative medicine myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Good vid fizz.
    ressem wrote: »
    Way off topic but anyways...

I didn't get the opinion that Jay was defending chinese alternative medicine myself.

Indeed I wasn't, I was merely using it as a platform to describe the philosophy/ethos which you have nicely reinforced here. Also proved my belief that this philosophy would never work in our society as a business model, thank you.

robindch wrote: »
    The reason it's called "alternative medicine" is because it's an alternative to conventional medicine.

fify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

JayMul wrote: »
    fify

Get in the sack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Regarding TCM, this might be of interest. It was followed by the university deciding NOT to offer TCM as a degree course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Just to make it clear I have never claimed to know about or have used traditional chinese medicine, and I have never condoned it as a treatment. I have been discussing a spiritual or salutogenic model of looking at health and illness and my belief that people should not put unwavering faith in any treatments that work as a commerical entity. This includes both conventional and 'alternative' therapies.

Advertisement