Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that Kitten!

Options
  • 30-05-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

my girlfriend wants to call our new kitten "Lisa" to my dissapproval. Is it just me or is that a crap name for a cat? Id prefer something along the lines...Tiger or Salom etc...

what do you all think are cool cat names?!?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Seems there's others in your boat :)
    click here - might be a few options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Maybe ye could come to a compromise by still calling it a girl's name but something more cat like, like daisy or molly or lily or izzy or evie or poppy or lola or sukie . . . or something? Instead of like a normal name.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

How about 'Margaret'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Howitzer wrote: »
    How about 'Margaret'?

That's what my friends baby sister wanted to call their new dog many years ago. It was gas trying to persuade the child that Margaret wasn't a very appropriate name for the dog.
    In the end they went with Suzy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi all,

my girlfriend wants to call our new kitten "Lisa" to my dissapproval. Is it just me or is that a crap name for a cat? Id prefer something along the lines...Tiger or Salom etc...

what do you all think are cool cat names?!?
    felix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It should be something with S in, cats listen better to S names afaik.
    Stronzo? Google it but don't tell the GF ;)

biko wrote: »
    It should be something with S in, cats listen better to S names afaik.
    Stronzo? Google it but don't tell the GF ;)

Really? That's interesting!

I have two cats called Sugar and Sakura and they do know their names well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sabrina!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

What about Trixie or Daisy??

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

how about seefor .... as in c for cat ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Not helpful, I guess, but just to share:

My friend's dogs are called John, Fred and Pam :-D

Weirdest/most 'normal' names for dogs I've ever encountered, but it works for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

She now said she want kitten to be called Lisa or Maggie...(Simpson's theme maybe?)

I countered with Rubens (after my favourtive F1 driver), it was shot down.

Some good suggestions though...thanks a million

getting the kitten in a few weeks so I'll let you all know what I bargained her with!!!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Ruby perhaps? A compromise to Rubens. And it's girly. That's my youngest cats name. Suits her down to the ground. My other cats are Lucy, Ollie and Oscar.

Took ages to decide on them because my BF shot down nearly everything I suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Why not wait til you get the kitten? In my experience babies and animals have to be seen before being named. Whatever names you've picked out beforehand may or may not (in most cases they don't) fit the personality of the new member of the family, and it takes a few days before someone suggests just the right name.

I was a victim of this 11 years ago when we got our eldest dog. I decided to call her Penny (she was an adorable 8 week old lab/collie cross puppy) before we picked her up. It took approximately 2 hours to convince me that this name definitely didn't suit her and the name Scamp was put forward as an alternative. Scamp she became and Scamp she is to this day (although I called her much worse the day she chewed my glasses to pieces)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

thanks Ghost!

Maybe best to see what name suits her when we actually get her. Also Ruby! Great suggestion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Waiting is a good idea - when we got our two kittens I got to decide the female's name - I wanted to call her Harper (after the Author Harper Lee) but it just didn't suit her, instead I picked the name of one of her charcaters in 'To kill a mockingbird' and Scout suits the cat much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I called mine Chairman Meow. RIP little fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Pick something that is easy to call. One or two syllables. So it's easier for them to learn. I heard cats can learn 20 words (vocal commands). So keep their name simple, I think?

Also, consider you'll have to call it. So some names might be weird calling. I had rescued a dog and named him Lopez, my brother adopted him but lived in a neighborhood with alot of spanish-speaking people, so he decided "Buddy" was a better name.

But yeah, as other said, you have to wait to meet the kitten!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

call the cat...... boogaloo....very unique ...and you could train it to do the electric boogaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've got:

Frank
    Eric
    Hahn
    Turbo Diesel
    Cleo
    Sasquatch

Believe it or not, 'Eric' is a great name for a cat in terms of the sharp 'c' at the end. Plus there's two syllables, so on - whatever the reason, he most certainly knows his name - even if someone comes over and he's sleeping on the bookshelf and they ask about him, I see his ears twitch when he hears his name.

• Advertisement

I countered with Rubens (after my favourtive F1 driver), it was shot down.

I had two kittens called Kimi and Massa :D Kimi was a girl and Massa was a boy. Oh yeah, I also had Fisi after Fisichella, my favourite driver! I think she was a girl too actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

my friend has a cat called Ozzy! suits quite well I think

Advertisement