Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBCRI Sex & the City party

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Did anyone here apart from myself go to this event? Are you feeling slightly 'robbed'.

Ok the website made it out to be this great party with free cocktails (note the plural) 'goodie bags' et all.. The tickets were €35 euro from the website and the event started at 7.45pm we arrived at 7.40 waited inline to give our tickets and get signed in, got our goodiebags and they were absolutely pathetic. In your mind, what would you imagine a goodie bag to hold? lots of makeup samples, maybe a lipstick, a coupon for a free make up makeover, lots of stuff...it was a bag of flyers, a hartmans CATALOGUE, a packet of cisps and a Galway Now magazine and a Quinn Direct Pedometer that was broken?? Firstly, I dont read that magazine, I have no use for a pedometer that doesnt work and not on the lookout to buy a 3,000 ring, getting married and getting a Tiffany not a Hartmans ring thanks. Upon entering the hall, we got our free 'cocktail' which was a small glass of cranberry juice, the alcohol wouldn't make a mouse drunk. The canepes were scarce and I barely finished my drink before I was ushered to the bus to the cinema.

Arriving at the Omniplex I was given a burned and hard cupcake from 'Born to Bake' in Tuam with an oversweetened buttercream (my dog loved it!). Watched the Movie and told the party was really starting back at Fagans and more FREE COCKTAILS!!!

Arrived at Fagans, no free cocktails in sight, had to pay for all our drinks, they played the S&TC soundtrack once and then the bar was open to the public, we shared the bar with a stag night or something..

All in all I feel a little violated and robbed. I am saving for my wedding in Nov and struggling as it is so I'm not throwing money about. I would have been better going and buying a ticket at Eye cinema, a cocktail in the G and it would have been cheaper and more fun. Okay it was in aid of NBCRI but I would have preferred to make a small donation in that case....VERY expensive cinema ticket. They cant hide behind the 'Ohhhh its for Breast cancerrrrrr' mask.

Basically I just wanted to see if I was alone in my annoyance over this and get feedback from other girlies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Did anyone here apart from myself go to this event? Are you feeling slightly 'robbed'.

Ok the website made it out to be this great party with free cocktails (note the plural) 'goodie bags' et all.. The tickets were €35 euro from the website and the event started at 7.45pm we arrived at 7.40 waited inline to give our tickets and get signed in, got our goodiebags and they were absolutely pathetic. In your mind, what would you imagine a goodie bag to hold? lots of makeup samples, maybe a lipstick, a coupon for a free make up makeover, lots of stuff...it was a bag of flyers, a hartmans CATALOGUE, a packet of cisps and a Galway Now magazine and a Quinn Direct Pedometer that was broken??
    Brilliant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

It's feckin' laughable isn't it...you should have seen the girls behind the ticket desk, hoochie mammas is not in it...I could actually see her crotch under her Pennys mini!

It's feckin' laughable isn't it...you should have seen the girls behind the ticket desk, hoochie mammas is not in it...I could actually see her crotch under her Pennys mini!
    Your such a perv, maybe that's why they gave you one of the crappy bags.

Trust me...it wasn't hard to see! JOHN WEST FREE FOR ALL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I could actually see her crotch under her Pennys mini!

Pics

• Advertisement

Boys......will be boys!!!!! Back to the rip off 'party' now please! lol!

Boys......will be boys!!!!! Back to the rip off 'party' now please! lol!
    Will there be girls in mini skirts at this rip off party?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I find it funny that someone is surprised that a Sex and the City party in the Omniplex turned out to be ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Talk to joe....

I find it funny that someone is surprised that a Sex and the City party in the Omniplex turned out to be ****e.
    Also, it was for charity, was it not?

The NBCRI may have received something for putting those flyers in the "goodie bags". Fair enough, the goodie bags were cack, but when it comes to charity events I tend not to grumble about value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Agree with Skelliser...but it is a bit cheap giving ye a bag of crisps (may I ask which kind?) and a copy of Galway Now.. Even if it is for charity that stuff wouldve been donated as would a lot else... Bit tight.

I bet the Omniplex didn't waive the price of the tickets.

Agree with Skelliser...but it is a bit cheap giving ye a bag of crisps (may I ask which kind?) and a copy of Galway Now.. Even if it is for charity that stuff wouldve been donated as would a lot else... Bit tight.

Velvet crunch....if I knew what was in those bags I would have handed it back and said 'I have enough rubbish thanks. As for the flyers...dont we get enough s*** posted through our letterboxes every day?????????????

Dare I mention the 'R' word here? People are arguing the charity thing but I would have preferred to make a SMALL donation instead of being made believe it was something it wasn't.... never going to an NCBRI event again..

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Dare I mention the 'R' word here? People are arguing the charity thing but I would have preferred to make a SMALL donation instead of being made believe it was something it wasn't.... never going to an NCBRI event again..

so your getting your wedding ring in tiffanys and bringing up the R word cos you feel like you got ripped off at a charity event !

poor you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

For added comic effect, I recommend you imagine the OP being read out in the narrative style of Ferris Bueller's horsewife...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

I think you are overreacting!!

It was for charity, what were you expecting? I thought that they made a great effort with the decorations etc and they thought of little things like the cupcake, which was delicious. All the staff in the omniplex dressed up etc.

There were cosmopolitans back in Fagans again, you must have missed that.

So you paid €35 for a charity ticket, it was hardly expensive. The ticket for the film alone would have been €10.

I thought it was a lovely idea and all the girls dressed up together, the laughter during the film etc, that was the reason we went, not to be wined and dinned by a charity for the night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

A Tiffany ring is far more of a rip off than anything else mentioned in this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Feel good thread of the week. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Ok the website made it out to be this great party with free cocktails (note the plural) 'goodie bags' et all.. The tickets were €35 euro from the website and the event started at 7.45pm we arrived at 7.40 waited inline to give our tickets and get signed in, got our goodiebags and they were absolutely pathetic. In your mind, what would you imagine a goodie bag to hold? lots of makeup samples, maybe a lipstick, a coupon for a free make up makeover, lots of stuff...it was a bag of flyers, a hartmans CATALOGUE, a packet of cisps and a Galway Now magazine and a Quinn Direct Pedometer that was broken?? Firstly, I dont read that magazine, I have no use for a pedometer that doesnt work and not on the lookout to buy a 3,000 ring, getting married and getting a Tiffany not a Hartmans ring thanks. Upon entering the hall, we got our free 'cocktail' which was a small glass of cranberry juice, the alcohol wouldn't make a mouse drunk. The canepes were scarce and I barely finished my drink before I was ushered to the bus to the cinema.

Arriving at the Omniplex I was given a burned and hard cupcake from 'Born to Bake' in Tuam with an oversweetened buttercream (my dog loved it!). Watched the Movie and told the party was really starting back at Fagans and more FREE COCKTAILS!!!

Arrived at Fagans, no free cocktails in sight, had to pay for all our drinks, they played the S&TC soundtrack once and then the bar was open to the public, we shared the bar with a stag night or something..

All in all I feel a little violated and robbed. I am saving for my wedding in Nov and struggling as it is so I'm not throwing money about. I would have been better going and buying a ticket at Eye cinema, a cocktail in the G and it would have been cheaper and more fun. Okay it was in aid of NBCRI but I would have preferred to make a small donation in that case....VERY expensive cinema ticket. They cant hide behind the 'Ohhhh its for Breast cancerrrrrr' mask.

Basically I just wanted to see if I was alone in my annoyance over this and get feedback from other girlies!

I was there and do not feel at all robbed. The start time was 6.45 and we arrived around 7pm.There were loads of canapes amd cocktails, there were also hairdressers and make-up artists, the room looked fab and the staff were really nice. OK so the goody bags weren't great but so what if it's for charity? The coaches were leaving at 8 so I think you just got there a bit late!! At the party afterwards there were, again, cocktails a-plenty, I think you missed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

wily minx, thanks for registering only to set things straight.

• Advertisement

Velvet crunch....
    Not even Tayto! :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

You paid €35, I'm assuming about €10 was for the actual ticket, and you were transported to the venue too right?
    You did get at least 1 cocktail and 1 bun...but it seems like you got your wires crossed, the details for the event are here:
    http://www.msbevents.ie/index.php/sex-and-city-2-charity-screening-galway/

........not on the lookout to buy a 3,000 ring, getting married and getting a Tiffany not a Hartmans ring thanks.......

You should feel more violated and robbed buying a Tiffany engagement ring, plus if you didn't buy the Tiffany engagement ring you could have put the difference between that and an identical ring that isn't overpriced towards the wedding.

I would say you're very alone in your rant about the charity night, especially after that engagement ring comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Carrie Bradshaw: “As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up and just keep going.”

wily minx wrote: »
    I was there and do not feel at all robbed. The start time was 6.45 and we arrived around 7pm.There were loads of canapes amd cocktails, there were also hairdressers and make-up artists, the room looked fab and the staff were really nice. OK so the goody bags weren't great but so what if it's for charity? The coaches were leaving at 8 so I think you just got there a bit late!! At the party afterwards there were, again, cocktails a-plenty, I think you missed them.

Carrie Bradshaw: "Meanwhile, Charlotte was downtown posting on boards, frantically trying to battle the negative publicity her little soiree was receiving."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

ScumLord wrote: »
    Not even Tayto! :mad:

They are made by Tayto actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So which is your favourite character?
    Horse, Slut, Prude or Redhead?

/bans self

They are made by Tayto actually.
    It's not the same, those things are an abomination against the potato, proper cheese and onion tayto crisps are classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not the same, those things are an abomination against the potato, proper cheese and onion tayto crisps are classy.

But they are not 'lady like' like the type of clientelle that a Sex and The City party would attract. :D

Can't see a bunch of over dressed cinema goers horsin down a normal packet of tayto cheese and onion followed by a small bottle of orange cadet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

Now thats what im talkin bout!

But they are not 'lady like' like the type of clientelle that a Sex and The City party would attract. :D

Can't see a bunch of over dressed cinema goers horsin down a normal packet of tayto cheese and onion followed by a small bottle of orange cadet.
    The thought of a room full of classy ladiees horsing into packs of taytos has me in stitches.. It's like a farmers wet dream, all it's missing is the hang sangwedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They were dressed up for the night at work weren't they?

Sounds Like perfectly appropriate attire for a celebration of Sex and the City ( or "Three Hookers and Their Mom" if you watch Family Guy).

Advertisement