Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sms 160 character limit

Options
  • 31-05-2010 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

i got a new mobile today nokia 3109

When I write an SMS, it allows 1000 characters (or at least it counts down from 1000 characters)

I thought the limit was 160 characters for an SMS (or that you get charged for every 160 characters)

If I write a 1000 character sms on my new phone, will I be charged for 1 text message, or 7 text messages ?

I'm nearly sure the answer is 7

Why did Nokia show a 1000 character countdown (and not a 160 character countdown), is it configurable ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

You're right, you will get charged 1 text for every 160 characters.

It use to be a real hassle having to send 3 messages to say what you want.

If I remember correctly the digit counter should tell you when you are onto your 2nd text.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One network used to charge more than that , they inserted the characters saying eg 'part one of 7' while segmenting the message and reduced the size of each text accordingly...I think the broken texts were c.130 chars each with 'part' data top and bottom of each part.

Advertisement