Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup stars detest their balls

• 31-05-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

So it's not just the goalkeepers who are unhappy about the new ball design, as is usual with most major finals. But I won't lie, the main reason I posted this was simply because of Arbeloa's quote :D
    JOHANNESBURG (AP) -- Several players are going all out against the new World Cup ball, with more than one comparing it to those bought at a supermarket.

And this time it's not only goalkeepers who are complaining. Strikers, defenders and midfielders are also lashing out at the Adidas ball just a few days before the monthlong tournament is to begin in South Africa.

The ball is called Jabulani, which means "to celebrate" in isiZulu, but not many are celebrating it so far. It's hard to find a player who is happy with it, and those who don't like it are not saving adjectives to describe their feelings.

"It's very weird," Brazil striker Luis Fabiano said Sunday. "All of a sudden it changes trajectory on you. It's like it doesn't want to be kicked. It's incredible, it's like someone is guiding it. You are going to kick it and it moves out of the way. I think it's supernatural, it's very bad. I hope to adapt to it as soon as possible, but it's going to be hard."

Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar on Saturday called the ball "terrible" and was the first to compare it to those plastic ones bought on a supermarket. Italy striker Giampaolo Pazzini said the same thing, calling it a "disaster."

"It moves so much and makes it difficult to control. You jump up to head a cross and suddenly the ball will move and you miss it," Pazzini said. "It is especially bad for the goalkeepers if it means they concede a goal because they can't judge the trajectory."

Adidas traditionally launches new balls for each World Cup and they usually cause controversy because of the changes prompted by the new technology being introduced. Most of the time the ball becomes speedier and goalkeepers are the ones most affected by it. But this time the livelier ball is causing problems to field players too.

"There is no way to hide it," Brazil midfielder Julio Baptista said. "It's bad for the goalkeepers and it's bad for us. It's really bad. The players try to cross it and it goes to the opposite direction they intended it to go."

Spain goalkeeper Iker Casillas also expressed his anger at the design of the ball after the European champion's 3-2 friendly win over Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

"It's sad that that such an important competition like the World Cup has such an important element like this ball of appalling condition," he said.

Adidas said the technology on the Jabulani is "radically new," and when it launched the ball in December is said that it would sail true because small dots on the surface would help improve reliability in the air. It said the ball would have "an exceptionally stable flight and perfect grip under all conditions."

FIFA and Adidas did not immediately return messages seeking comment Sunday.

Adidas has released some promotional materials in which some of its sponsored players praise the ball, including Kaka, Michael Ballack, Petr Cech and Frank Lampard. Ballack called the ball "fantastic."

Spain defender Alvaro Arbeloa, who also wears Adidas gear, had a simple answer when asked about the ball: "It's round, like always."

"It happens every time, the players always complain about the ball," said former Brazil great Tostao. "It used to be the goalkeepers only, but now we have the others complaining too. At the greatest competition in the world you would think that the players would like the ball, but that's not the case."

Players were already expecting the ball to be affected by the high-altitude in Johannesburg and some other host cities. A study by Adidas last year showed the altitude will have an impact of up to 5 percent on the ball's speed, meaning a 20-yard free kick will reach the goal line 5 percent faster than it would at sea level.

The ball is made up of 11 colors to represent the players in a starting lineup and the 11 official languages and the 11 communities of the host country.

"That's the ball they chose and we have to accept it," Baptista said. "But it's going to be complicated."

The World Cup begins on June 11 with South Africa playing Mexico.

The liathróid in question:

2010_world_cup_ball.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Does a minimum weight exist for a ball?
    These complaints are so predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Every year they do it. Its just advertisment for it. Arbeloa's quote is class though fair play to him. Its a ball get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It does look crap though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Think it looks decent, prefer the 06 one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

It's 2010. You'd have thought they'd have created the most ideal football by now. Fúckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Why do they have to change it every tournament. It is not as if the last one was something similar to what they were using in the 60's. There is no need to change it all the time, all it is , is an opportunity to make more money for the sponsors. A bit of controversy is all they want to promote their new product.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Why do they have to change it every tournament. It is not as if the last one was something similar to what they were using in the 60's. There is no need to change it all the time, all it is , is an opportunity to make more money for the sponsors. A bit of controversy is all they want to promote their new product.:mad:

I think you answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I got one of these a few years ago as a gify think they were €170, its like the light leathers you buy 2 for a fiver in JJB grand for kids as they are light. But **** all weight in it.

ultimax_footballs_200_00013129.jpg>>>>>>>>>>>2010_world_cup_ball.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Remember this one?

1998Tricolore.jpg

From France 98. That was a cracking football. Had one of them for years, absolutely loved it until it got so worn I couldn't use it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Style over tehncological advances ftw

Bring back these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fR1Uu4DJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Archimedes wrote: »
    World Cup stars detest their balls

Great title :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Remember this one?

1998Tricolore.jpg

From France 98. That was a cracking football. Had one of them for years, absolutely loved it until it got so worn I couldn't use it anymore.
    Ah, it's no Questra... okay, it pretty much is. But this is the first one!

1994questra.jpg

I loved that ball, so much fun to smash off the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Have to say I'd love them to bring back the retro design, with alternate black/white hexagons :) Look superb when spinning / with curl

I recently bought an AdiPURE, and think its a fantastic ball, but had a quick kick around with the new WC ball and didn't like it myself. It does feel a bit like a crappy plastic ball, very light, and when struck with power moves around in the air a LOT.

Meh. Could they not just use pretty much the same materials in every ball, and merely change the colours or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wow, €150 for a football - is there no end to the nonsense?

Wow, €150 for a football - is there no end to the nonsense?

Yeah, just don't buy it. Get a replica ball in in Lifestyle Sports for 20 quid nobody will notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Why the fup can't they introduce these new balls at the start of the season before a World Cup? It's ridiculous that players have to try to adapt in a matter of weeks before a major tournament.

Its a round thing that they kick its hardly a big deal to change. Its not at all really.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Why the fup can't they introduce these new balls at the start of the season before a World Cup? It's ridiculous that players have to try to adapt in a matter of weeks before a major tournament.

Well the only thing I can see here is, all teams have to play with the same crappy balls. So no team at the tournament has a specific advantage or disadvantage anyway.

Every player has to deal with it.

I just hope that it doesn't ruin the quality of football at the tournament.

Ah, it's no Questra... okay, it pretty much is. But this is the first one!

1994questra.jpg

I loved that ball, so much fun to smash off the post.

Pfft, just a poor man's version of the best of them all -

12542.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

KerranJast wrote: »

Most of the major leagues use Nike balls, the WC uses Adidas balls, the CL also uses Adidas balls. That's why they can't implement the WC ball from the start of the season.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Most of the major leagues use Nike balls, the WC uses Adidas balls, the CL also uses Adidas balls. That's why they can't implement the WC ball from the start of the season.

And if I'm not mistaken, different clubs within a league can use different football's according to which company sponsors them. Once it fits the official guidelines for a football in that league [size, weight, material etc].

Though I think in the Prem the official balls are supplied by Nike. (not sure if other balls can be used though)

Plus they can't do it with internationals either because each association has its own sponsors and therefore those with Adidas would get an unfair advantage of having used the balls before everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pfft, just a poor man's version of the best of them all -

12542.jpg
    Gtfo with that bad imitation of the greatest ball.

1986Azteca.jpg

Is this actually happening? Are we actually trying to score points by proving previous WC balls were more 1337 or something? :p

Pfft, none of ye know a good ball if it hit ye in the...balls. Presenting the daddy of footballs...

old-soccer-ball1.jpg

Pfft, none of ye know a good ball if it hit ye in the...balls. Presenting the daddy of footballs...

old-soccer-ball1.jpg

GAH balls are still modelled on that.

Pffft, back in my day we used this.

500x_dqu.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I was kicking one of these around the other day and they are horrible. You hit a corss or dead ball and it's going perfectly and then suddenly is just moves in the air and you miss your target by 2/3 yards. It's really like the cheap plastic balls you'd get in a supermarket in that way.

There will be a LOT of screamers this year because of it. if you smack a daisy cutter from 20/30 yards there is no telling where the **** it's going to be by the time it gets to the goal, the poor keeper doesn't have a hope if it's moving as speed.

I expect a few goals from De Rossi and Pirlo from long range.

Watchout for Kolarov for serbia too, that boy can really smack a ball.

500x_dqu.jpg

Oh God, I'll never forget the day I saw one of those stone balls outside my grannies house when I was young. I was in a pair of slippers, and thought it was a discoloured football. So I went to give it a kick and damn near broke every bone in my boot. My slippers were covered in blood, and I bawled my eyes out for a good half hour.

• Advertisement

Is this actually happening? Are we actually trying to score points by proving previous WC balls were more 1337 or something? :p
    No I really think the '86 ball was the nuts. Some great goals, Maradona scored two wonder goals(not the cheating handball one), the Vulture scored 4 in one game, Belanov scored 3 in one game and lost in what to this day is the most exciting world cup match I've ever seen, Belgium won 4-3 over the Soviet Union.

Best World Cup by miles and nobody was complaining about the ball.

500x_dqu.jpg
    Yeah but you guys wore boots, back in my day we played with that ball in our bare feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We've been playing with this ball for the last few months and I think its a fine ball.
    It is light and it does travel pretty far but its pretty true and nice and soft to kick and pass.
    I'd certainly be worried about using it at altitude as it will go too far and gain some speed.
    Its a very hard wearing ball too ,we have kicked the daylights out of it and it is still in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Ive yet to see a tournament where the players moan about the ball to the extent you reckon its going to make the tournament sh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It looks like the ball England used against Japan, nothing was mentioned then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

You know when you've been Tango'd...

adidasworldcupball1982.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ball-4.jpg

Best football ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Just when you thought we could have a thread without a Liverpool fan mentioning Istanbul.

I really loved this ball at the time;

worldcup_2002_japan_south_koreafevernova2.jpg

They were expensive, but I bought (and wore out) about three of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Columbia wrote: »
    Just when you thought we could have a thread without a Liverpool fan mentioning Istanbul.

Thats strange I didn't mention istanbul, its a nice ball, they would have been using that ball had Liverpool not been in the final so up yours.

I actually still have my one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

The nicest ball ever was either the 2008 or 2009, whenever the one brfore 2010 was on African cup of nations ball, I'm on my mobile so I can't upload a picture but just google it, it's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

All the people who say they've been using this ball, have you been using the real thing or the replica? They wouldn't be the same to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fullstop wrote: »
    All the people who say they've been using this ball, have you been using the real thing or the replica? They wouldn't be the same to play with.

Real.

2:36 check out the strike by Alonso.

Cech - I like the shape lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

fullstop wrote: »

The real one,think it cost ~90 euro.
    Oddly enough I saw a cheaper replica version at soccer last night and it had imploded ,burst like a balloon !

The real one,think it cost ~90 euro.
    Oddly enough I saw a cheaper replica version at soccer last night and it had imploded ,burst like a balloon !

The replica's only similarity is the printed design. The materials used, the shape of the panels, the outer skin, bladder etc are all totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Coming up with subjectlines for threads that are as stupid as they are misleading?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Who pissed in your coffee?

Just watched Australia v Denmark at altitude and Schwarzer had awful problems with the ball. He's a good judge of crosses but struglled badly.

He said afterwards that the ball moves a lot more than usual and will be quite difficult to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Who pissed in your coffee?

Fair enough. Reaction may be a bit strong. Maybe not havin' the best of days.
    But still. Seen this lately. Not good enough to open a thread.
    Must be something like.

"Rafa finally goes". Then the thread is about some 3rd division player called Rafalukowski who goes to the loo.
    "Wigan sign Becks". And the thread is about the Wigan club bar making a deal with Becks beer.

This one seems in the 'wanted to make a funny subjectline too but could only come up with some halfwit stuff' bracket.

So what is it with that?

Boskowski wrote: »
    Fair enough. Reaction may be a bit strong. Maybe not havin' the best of days.
    But still. Seen this lately. Not good enough to open a thread.
    Must be something like.

"Rafa finally goes". Then the thread is about some 3rd division player called Rafalukowski who goes to the loo.
    "Wigan sign Becks". And the thread is about the Wigan club bar making a deal with Becks beer.

This one seems in the 'wanted to make a funny subjectline too but could only come up with some halfwit stuff' bracket.

So what is it with that?

How about if you don't like it, you steer clear? And somehow I doubt you're the authority on what subject warrants opening a thread :rolleyes:

Back OT.

Lets hope for a few good goals, and no excuses being placed on the balls come the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I thought it was funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement