Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap one way flights home

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    been looking for flights home for me and the missus in late july and all we've found is prices circa 2k each!

Does anyone know where I can get flights a helluva lot cheaper than that? The above prices were direct to London but we'd have no problem stopping off somewhere for a week or so (NZ/Asia/LA etc) if it means the flights are cheaper!

I really dont wanna blow that much cash on our flights coz that'll leave us with feck all money for travelling. Has anyone managed to get home for under a grand?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

If you're looking to go that cheap then Air Asia will probably be your best bet. Just had a look on their website and you can fly Melbourne to KL in July for about $240ish (possibly cheaper too, I just picked a date to see) and then from KL to London for about $470 - $540 so you'll end up with flights in your price range there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ex6

I suggest you first check out following 2 sites:

And after finding suitable routes/dates/airlines, check the airline sites for cheaper prices... sometimes you may get cheaper price from airline homepage, than from the "middleman" like Amadeus or SkyScanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    been looking for flights home for me and the missus in late july and all we've found is prices circa 2k each!

Does anyone know where I can get flights a helluva lot cheaper than that? The above prices were direct to London but we'd have no problem stopping off somewhere for a week or so (NZ/Asia/LA etc) if it means the flights are cheaper!

I really dont wanna blow that much cash on our flights coz that'll leave us with feck all money for travelling. Has anyone managed to get home for under a grand?

Cheers.

Jesus I just had a look ... there is shag all out there....

Dreading forking out to go back at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Cheers.

Airasia
    I picked a date 11th August, can fly to KL for 269
    then 16th august -> London for 414.05
    grand total of 683 ... plus extra for baggage and meals

that's pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hmm, august 11th might be a little too late, as my visa expires july 27th! dont wanna get stung as an overstayer!! :p

That cheap flight to KL and on to london looks decent enough! Gonna check the AirAsia site as well as the other 2 listed and see if I can get a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Booked this just on Saturday last ..
    Melb - KL total $421
    KL - London (Stan) $512

For the 12th and 13th of July... looked for ages dont think you can get cheaper than airasia, just seems like an expensive time to be flying June/july/aug

Thought about staying in KL for a couple of days myself wasnt bothered tho.... I looked at these flights about a month ago and then were $600 all in.... naturally I waited till they got more expensive to book them ! :rolleyes:

Just need a ryanair flight from stansted and im laughing. if your only stayin a stopover in KL stay at tune hotel there across the rd from the LCCT and the only hotel, the rest are at the 'real' airport!! or downtown, cost $40 for the night, but is a new hotel, well worth a decent kip if you ask me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

KL's a great place for a stopover also. Cheap electronics. I was looking everywhere for my camera, and cheapest I got was €400. In KL it was €250.
    Should have bought more!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

This is the best website ive found for searching the cheapest date to fly out for a given month
    http://www.itasoftware.com/
    click on search airfares using qpx
    Click log in as a guest
    select month long search
    select one way
    set to and from airports and set sales city to 'dub' for euro prices.
    click go and it should return all the airlines and the prices they charge for the full month.
    looks like the cheapest from auckland is 961 euro and you have loads of dates to choose from.

it wont search the air asia airline as they cant service the full route but as posted above you may find them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

+1 air asia if its only one way you're going, when we looked into it for return flights in late july, its almost as expensive as anywhere else to do it return. we got quoted just 2,092 to do sydney - abu dhabi - london - dublin which is the route we wanted and dates we wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Air Asia is 50 hours chock to chock compared to 25 hours for any other airline. Think carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Confab wrote: »
    Air Asia is 50 hours chock to chock compared to 25 hours for any other airline. Think carefully.
    It's seats are also reputedly designed by the same guy who designed the plastic McDonald's chairs. Designed to be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dont give a shoite about comfort to be honest. As long as we can get home. 50 hours travelling wouldnt even bother me. Though obviously a stopover for a day or two in KL wouldnt go amiss.

Was looking there at the flight centre site. they're doing free flights to Bangkok. Is it still dodgy over there? OR would it be safe by the end of july?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Air Asia really arent that bad.... you get what you pay for (not much!!)
    You do have to pay for your luggage, food, and tv is extra too!

Seats imo are just standard airplane seats..

You dont get a lot of choice for flying times as theres only (from what i can see) one flight a day.. so connecting can be a problem, but for me I have loads of time just not loads fo cash!

Heres the itinerary I booked

Mel - KL [Dep 12:25pm, arr 18:40] Flying time 8hrs

KL - Lon (next day) [Dep 15:10, arr 22:10] flying time 12hrs 25min

Only cra**y things is which would be worth checking anyone doing this, when I arrive in Stansted (at 22:10) ive just missed the last flight back to dub.... next one aint till 6:30 the next day... (never checked when I was booking it!)

Still checked the pirce of hotels (i aint crashin at the airport!) and I reckon its still cheaper than other airlines. Pretty slow journey... and I'll be heading back on my own but im pretty good company...so wont be too bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Check out Thai's 50th Anniversary Sale. Those fares are awesome. See $1200 return to London for July.

Edit: 2000 each with taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

I'm in the same boat. I'm due to go home in a few months. Best I could find http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/ about 1100 to dublin depending on the day I pick.

I must look into it in more detail as my return day is fast approaching. Not looking forward to it.

B_man must meet up again at home for a pint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

For those looking for a bargain home..
    Qatar are offering Melbourne-Brussels for AU$790 return inclusive of taxes, fly until 31March. Up to yourself to book a seperate flight to Ireland
    http://www.zuji.com.au/site/travel_deals/flights/top_flight.html?DPAAP=Brussels&dep_city=Melbourne&source=CRM_EDM_BREAKING-DEALS_QANTASSALE_210111_QATAREUROPE

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

When flying form ireland to oz is it better depart london at say 10 in the morning or 10 at night from a jet lag point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

When flying form ireland to oz is it better depart london at say 10 in the morning or 10 at night from a jet lag point of view?

I look more at the time the flight lands in australia. If it lands in the morning, i try to sleep as much as possible on the plane, especially on the leg from asia to australia. If it lands in the evening, i try to stay awake as much as possible.

I find by doing this i get very little jet lag. Flying from oz to ireland late last year i landed in shannon at 11.30am and was at work at 1pm...everyone thought i was crazy, but i felt fine as i had gotten 8hrs sleep from singapore into LHR, had breakfast at LHR and then onto the flight to SNN.

Advertisement