Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super SFIV League season 1 @ XGC

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Right I've put off doing this way too many times, let's see if there is interest in this:

Super SFIV league, consisting of 6 seperate sessions over this next 2-3month summer period.

Dates: The First tournament Will take place on Saturday June 12th

Provisional dates for the other 5 sessions
    June 26th
    July 10th
    July 24th
    July 31st
    August 14th

Entry fee: €3
    The aim is to keep this cheap n cheerful, encourage offline play, while giving the session a focus and hopefully boost numbers.

Prize money: The prizepot will be all collected entry fees minus the cost of console rental.

Prize split: 50% of Prizepot for the winner on the day, 50% will go towards the prize for the overall champion at the end of the season

Tournament format: Unseeded Single Elimination.
    All matches will be best of 3 games.
    In the semis and final they will be best of 5.

League format: Players will be awarded 1 point for paying the registration fee and taking part.
    For each subsequent match victory, they will receive an additional point.
    A Semi final will carry 2 bonus points (total 3)
    The final will carry 4 bonus points (total 5)

At the end of the season the player with the highest amount of points will be declared the Champion.

On the day: Sign ups will take place between 1 and 2pm
    At 2pm on the dot. Sign ups will close. No one will be permitted to join after this point.
    All names will be entered into a random draw (from a hat) and shortly afterwards the tournament shall begin.
    A player will be called twice for their match, if they cannot be found, they will forfeit their match and their opponent will be advanced.

I will rent 2 consoles for this to be run on, if more are needed on the day, then we'll get them.

Before and after the comp the consoles are casual, winner stays on. Maximum of 3 wins (to ensure rotation)
    At 6 pm they will be switched off and paid for.
    To play casually (on these consoles), you must enter the tournament.

This will be run on xbox and when not playing I can provide a stick for anyone who needs one (as long as they are respectful of course)

Right then, I'm sure I've forgotten to say a bunch of stuff, but chew on that for a bit and get back to me.
    Also I'll need the 1 spare copy of SSFIV if someone is kind enough on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Sounds good, few questions.

About the tourney format, why single elimination?

Why 360 only? Maybe have it on 1 360 and 1 ps3 no?

Lastly , in the chance that inferno might have to fall on one of these dates are you cool with changing the date if that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Single elim, because I based on a tournament using this format and wanted to keep it simple, quick and to the point. Every match could be your last, Plus it differentiates it from what we have.

Xbox 360: Because I personally have a copy for 360, and again want to keep it simple. Also don't want a situation where 2 people want to play on different formats. Also I'd like to have the games played in one area (preferable at the top where there is more room.) As I said, I'll let anyone who wants use my stick (TE)

Dates: absolutly. I've avoided the 1st Sat of every month which seems like it will be infernos home from now on.
    The date were chosen to be fairly regular, and not have too long a gap between them
    Although The first session will be the 12th, all other dates are provisional, and if the community wants them changed we'll try to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Far as I know the NI lads were going to try and schedule their events 2 weeks after Infernos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sounds good, up for this

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You would put the last one on my BIRTHDAY wouldn't you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I doubt I'll be up for any of these unless I happen to be in Dublin on the day. Cork's a long aul trip =)
    The one thing I'd be worried about would be running Infernos, this league and possible team tourneys over the Summer - all in Dublin - would dilute the player base pretty substantially.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    I doubt I'll be up for any of these unless I happen to be in Dublin on the day. Cork's a long aul trip =)
    The one thing I'd be worried about would be running Infernos, this league and possible team tourneys over the Summer - all in Dublin - would dilute the player base pretty substantially.

These events simply will not get the same numbers as Inferno. Nothing in Ireland does, tbh. I would expect this to attract only local players.

If you ran a tournament in Limerick or Cork or Galway I would try to get to them first. I would consider strengthening the scene accross the country more important than weekly tournaments in Dublin.

That said, I'd attend the league when there's nothing else on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Far as I know the NI lads were going to try and schedule their events 2 weeks after Infernos

Really? **** I was planning on doing DOC regularly two weeks after Infernos. Maybe I will make every two months then.

Sounds good to me. I've always wanted to do a league situation and as Doom said I can see this pretty much just being between the XGC regulars. Although maybe the limericks lads could run something similar and then at the end of both leagues, the league champions face-off at an Inferno. Get the most recent DS champ down (Newtype?) and we got a nice little All-Ireland competition in the works.

I need clarification on the money. Currently the XGC is running at €5 a head and as many consoles as needed are rented. Is the €3 euro for the league only? Are you going to be renting two consoles exclusive for the league? I just want to double-check the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

We don't want to risk tournament overload as Ken B mentioned in another thread but having said that, i will always be in xgc on saturdays so I'm sure i'd be entering. But as doom said above, you're likely to only get the xgc regulars at these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Sisko wrote: »
    Why 360 only? Maybe have it on 1 360 and 1 ps3 no?
    And what if one person insists on playing 360 and one on PS3 and end up getting drawn against each other? If you play one on each, and they get one win each, how would you then decide which system the tiebreak is played on?

Rest assured, this would end up being waaaaayyyyyyy more work than it's worth.

• Advertisement

We've dealt with all this before, if that happens , its played on 360 with the ps3 pad player using a ps2 pad and adapter.

At least this way he gets to use his pad for most of his fights and only gets stuck with the ****ty pad for the time he has to face a 360 pad player.

Orim wrote: »
    Really? **** I was planning on doing DOC regularly two weeks after Infernos. Maybe I will make every two months then.

Sounds good to me. I've always wanted to do a league situation and as Doom said I can see this pretty much just being between the XGC regulars. Although maybe the limericks lads could run something similar and then at the end of both leagues, the league champions face-off at an Inferno. Get the most recent DS champ down (Newtype?) and we got a nice little All-Ireland competition in the works.

I need clarification on the money. Currently the XGC is running at €5 a head and as many consoles as needed are rented. Is the €3 euro for the league only? Are you going to be renting two consoles exclusive for the league? I just want to double-check the situation.

Well the 3rd sat of the month are free for DOC i see no reason not to have it. in my mind now is the time to have lots of comps, level up and have most importantly of all a laugh. offline.

re: €3 yeah, pays for two consoles and the comp. before and after the comp they can be used casually. winner stays on.

about coming from cork: i really wouldnt expect it, its only ment to be a small and relativly informal thing. not like inferno. still welcome of course!
    I'll be coming from wicklow...

and yes donion i chosse that date on purpose :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

These events simply will not get the same numbers as Inferno. Nothing in Ireland does, tbh. I would expect this to attract only local players.

If you ran a tournament in Limerick or Cork or Galway I would try to get to them first. I would consider strengthening the scene accross the country more important than weekly tournaments in Dublin.

That said, I'd attend the league when there's nothing else on.

oh get off the fence :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Vyze wrote: »
    And what if one person insists on playing 360 and one on PS3 and end up getting drawn against each other? If you play one on each, and they get one win each, how would you then decide which system the tiebreak is played on?

Rest assured, this would end up being waaaaayyyyyyy more work than it's worth.

coin flip ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Koone_20

this sounds pretty interesting, i might try and get up to Dublin for this next week even though i'll more then likely get my ass handed to me i could pick up tips off of fellow players, if there willing to help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Would I be able to join this league on the second date, June 26th? I'll miss the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I would suggest making the league it's own thing at the casuals. I say this because the casuals have a nice payment system going and another way of paying for consoles could get confusing. So casuals €5 and the league is another payment. Do you get me?

Another thing I would suggest is dividing a player's points by the number of tournaments he has been in. This would prevent someone from missing out on winning the league due to not being able to make it to all the days. The only issue I could see is someone winning one day and not entering anymore or not making it to anymore but in the case of drawn points I suppose the person who made it to the most events would get the ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I'd agree with Orim there.

June 26th
    July 10th
    July 24th
    July 31st
    August 14th

Q con will be on the 26th June, So session 2 can take place on June 10th.
    An extra date to make up for this can be added after the August 14th session.

Is this ok with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

im comming home from america on the 29th of June so ill only be able to make it on July 10th and on words :P

• Advertisement

So people still up for this tomorrow then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I might be out of the running for League I, due to Melty Blood.

Also, might I suggest a Formula 1-style points system? It gives huge rewards to Top 3 in a bid to reward the most consistent finishers, but allows someone who scores big (eg 4th three times) a good shot at going up the leaderboard.

thats essentially the system in place, which also reflects number of games played. 16 32 or 6r man tounies have different amt points on offer, same is true if groups are used.

(1st and 2nd are getting bonus points, do you want third to get some too is it?)

results froms yesterdays impromptu tournament.

1st: redman
    2nd: anima x
    3rd: doyler
    3rd: dreddy
    5th: kiki
    5th: owwmykneecap
    5th: xinkai
    5th: jay
    9th speedboat
    9th darren
    9th orim
    9th chueyto
    9th khanman
    9th linouid
    9th andy
    9th doom

Props to Doyler for his Akuma shenanigans - your Super Demon setups shall be missed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

2nd: anima x
    3rd: doyler
    3rd: dreddy
    5th: kiki
    5th: owwmykneecap
    5th: xinkai
    5th: jay
    9th speedboat
    9th darren
    9th orim
    9th chueyto
    9th khanman
    9th linouid
    9th andy
    9th doom

lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »

Least I showed up.

:P

missed this too, sorry kneecaps. been all over the place that weekend.

Plus it was single elimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Didn't you know, all of reds matches from that day were rendered null and void because of his cheating shenanigans in melty blood :D

Advertisement