Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best beer?

• 31-05-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

In your opinion, what is the best beer on the irish market? Something that is readily available across the country if possible! (Or just in Cork..:P)

Price isn't an issue

Can, bottle, or tap - I'm not picky
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I keep hearing people mention a German beer, cant remember though :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

digme wrote: »
    I keep hearing people mention a German beer, cant remember though :mad:

Thats helpful :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Danger781 wrote: »
    Thats helpful :P

beer2.jpg

Should suit you just fine.

Osu wrote: »
    beer2.jpg

Should suit you just fine.

God no.. I refuse to drink that mouldy crap :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For the past four years, IrishCraftBrewer.com has run an award for best Irish beer, based on a poll of drinkers. It has been won twice by Galway Hooker, and Clotworthy Dobbin tends to score highly. So there's two for a start.

The Porterhouse has also run its own, more limited competition among the Irish beers, and the winner this year was their own bottled Oyster Stout.

Hooker you'll get on draught in The Bierhaus on Pope's Quay. For the others, your best bet is probably Bradley's on North Main Street. Time was you'd be best going to the Abbot's Ale House on Devonshire Street, but I'm told their selection has taken a serious turn for the worse lately.

• Advertisement

Well I'm planning on going to the Franciscan well brewery sometime so hopefully they have something nice in there :rolleyes: I've never heard of any of those beers though.. :confused:

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've never heard of any of those beers though.. :confused:
    Now you have. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Lech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 treacy52

Franciscan Well is a great spot if you're looking for good beers. I'd recommend Duvel (Belgian) and Weihenstephan (German). Both absolutely beautiful beers. Can be a bit pricey but both worth it if you're looking for something a bit more special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Tried the new Galway Hooker pilsner yesterday. Top notch stuff. I think its only available in Galway Though

http://www.galwayhooker.ie/flash/site/locations/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Best beers I've found available in Ireland (from off-licenses) are probably Delerium Tremens, Tripel Karmelite, and Chimay White/Red, but that's just my taste. Go into any good off-license, and have a browse in the craft beer section.

Best beers I've found available in Ireland (from off-licenses) are probably Delerium Tremens, Tripel Karmelite, and Chimay White/Red, but that's just my taste. Go into any good off-license, and have a browse in the craft beer section.

That I will :) I'm just going to try something new every week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Keep an eye out for Ola Dubh or Old Engine Oil, I know in Cork you can get them in Bradleys on North Main st., and probably elsewhere. They have a good selection of interesting beers there, well worth browsing.

Sarky wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for Ola Dubh or Old Engine Oil, I know in Cork you can get them in Bradleys on North Main st., and probably elsewhere. They have a good selection of interesting beers there, well worth browsing.

Thanks for the info! Will have a look during summer! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've recently fallen in love with an Estonian beer called Viru.

Wonderfully crisp flavour to it.

Very distinctive bottle too:

viru_prodpic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I've recently fallen in love with an Estonian beer called Viru.

Looks interesting, nice and hoppy is it? Where've you found it?

McHugh's off licenses have it anyway.

Think it's €6.99 for 4 bottles.

Oh and Victory Golden Monkey is a good one too.

victory_golden_monkey.jpg

This stuff is 9.5% but really doesn't taste like it at all. A very tasty beer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Your in cork pop down to the Bierhaus and work away on what they have on tap - especially this weekend as they have a little craft festival - the best regular on draught their is Galway Hooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Lager = Tyskie
    Ale = Bishops Finger.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Your in cork pop down to the Bierhaus and work away on what they have on tap - especially this weekend as they have a little craft festival - the best regular on draught their is Galway Hooker.

I've heard of that place actually.. Definitely worth a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For me, the best offie deal at the moment, in Cork, is among the 4 for €10 English beer deal in Bradley's, North Main St. It is Young's London Classic Ale.
    You will not be disappointed with 4 of them (ideally shared), I guarantee you!

Bierhaus is a must. (Ask for recommendations, read the boards and menu...lots of beers here!)

Abbot's Ale House, while up and down stockwise, always has something interesting to offer, both in the shop and bar.

Franciscan Well's FriarWeiss is available about town (CraneLane, CornerHouse, Sin É, Mutton, Bodega, Oval, FionBarra and more) and is away from the normal pint, as is BlarneyBlond and Rebel Red, all well made beers. And sometimes seasonal brews at the brewpub.

Or have a Pint Bottle of Guinness or a pint of Beamish in Calanan's.

And I've heard talk of other Irish microbews in FionnBarra (hope it continues).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

Really enjoying Brooklyn beer at the moment. Darker than regular lager but still falls under the category of lager i would think. Pretty sure its only available in tesco but worth a trip to get some because it has quite a unique taste.

Brooklyn Lager is gorgeous. You can get it a few places: specialty beer off licences and the odd Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

you are not drinking much until you are drinking dutch

you are not drinking much until you are drinking dutch
    Too right.
    3590997338_9cb1f9cd99.jpg

Advertisement