Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Advice

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Back to the forum now that I have the summertime to rekindle my interest in amateur radio. Im still unlicenced but have got my hands on a Yaesu FT 1802 but no antenna. where do i goto from here? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

exam in July

Watson 300 aerial?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

cheers watty! I know very little about antennas, is it possible to use a random wire to receive on 2m for the time being?

make it non-random :)

About 0.5m of wire (or coax with inner and outer shorted at both ends connected to inner of end of coax. Not suitable for TX.

Or a Discone aerial on chimney works well. It also works for TX on 10m, 6m, 4m, 2m, 70cm and 23cm bands.

Avoid the discone with a spike on top, so called "royal discone". Maplin did have one.

Ideally use 50 Ohm RG58 for short run or RG213 for longer run. Actually Satellite grade Coax will work (75 Ohm), but you will have to drill out the back of the PL529 connector designed for RG58, or use soldered copper foil packing on PL529 designed for RG213.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

How does one attach wire to a coax connection? Its all pointless anyway as i've no power supply just yet to run the 1802 from, trust me to overlook it! any short term temp solution?

Coax cable with plug at radio. run coax to attic or outside

remove insulation at far end and make sure screen and inner don't touch.

Twist bare ends and tape,
    or
    screw terminal

• Advertisement
Advertisement