Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering For RNLI

Options
  • 31-05-2010 1:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    Ive always been fascinated with the RNLI and have always wanted to volunteer. Could anyone tell me more as I cant find much from the official website? what criteria are they looking for and whats the atmosphere like (ie. friendly?) Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

xp90 wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    Ive always been fascinated with the RNLI and have always wanted to volunteer. Could anyone tell me more as I cant find much from the official website? what criteria are they looking for and whats the atmosphere like (ie. friendly?) Many thanks

We dont get many RNLI posters here. Try a post in volunterism

You best bet is call into your local RNLI station and meet the Lifeboat operations manager. Are you far from an RNLI station??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmatty06

criteria is pretty simple you must be over 17 and live within 3 miles of your local station. as nga said try find out when your local crew are training and call in and speak to them about joining and they'll point you in right direction.ive been on crew for three years and still love it, atmosphere in our station is fantastic and most other stations ive been to is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cliff Hanger

Have a look at this link below. Click on your local station and it should have the contact details there for you to give them a shout.

http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/ireland/division_map

Hope it works out for you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

dmatty06 wrote: »
    criteria is pretty simple you must be over 17 and live within 3 miles of your local station. as nga said try find out when your local crew are training and call in and speak to them about joining and they'll point you in right direction.ive been on crew for three years and still love it, atmosphere in our station is fantastic and most other stations ive been to is the same.

What exactly are they looking for in a volunteer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmatty06

xp90 wrote: »
    What exactly are they looking for in a volunteer?

obviously all the things youd expect they look for like ability to work in a team etc etc. but most importantly i think is commitment.. theres a lot to rnli volunteering in the way of training etc.. most crews would train weekly and some during the winter would also have shore based training some evening during the week on top of the weekly on the water training. however as we are all volunteers it is not expected for you to turn up to absolutely everything. a willingness to learn is vital also but no background knowledge of sea or boats is necessary! this may surprise you but the rnli have changed their training a great deal lately as gone are the days when the local fishermen manned the crew so they have adapted to take on complete novices and train them up to be competent sea goers. where is your nearest station?

• Advertisement
Advertisement