Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup stuff on TV (including Mario Rosenstock on BBC3)

• 31-05-2010 3:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Just been checking up on the line-ups that the TV stations have planned ahead of the World Cup. Some of it is interesting, some of it is quite whacky and some of it is downright bizarre.

BBC

Jose returns to TV after his stint with Setanta in a BBC3 show from the 11th June which will go out at 10:30 pm. It's being billed as a 'topical spoof phone-in show'. More on it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/pages/special1tv

As regards the main coverage on the channel, Emmanuel Adebayor is their main new addition and joins Jurgen Klinsmann and Clarence Seedorf. Also according to The Guardian:
    The BBC also intends to use the World Cup to introduce a "3D matrix-style device", called Libero, that will generate virtual camera images to back up discussions of key talking points of each match.

For the first time all World Cup matches broadcast by BBC TV will be available to view live online in the UK on the BBC Sport website, with a choice of alternative commentary options including Radio 5 Live. Video highlights of non-BBC broadcast matches will also be available.

The BBC TV coverage will be backed by more than 250 hours of programming from BBC Radio 5 Live.

TV coverage will be lead by the usual lineup of Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon, as well as former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan.

Highlights of the World Cup will be presented by Colin Murray, who presents BBC Radio 5 Live show Fighting Talk, on BBC 2 at 10pm each night during the tournament. Murray was confirmed today as the new Match of the Day 2 host, replacing Adrian Chiles.

Gabby Logan will provide news from the England camp and also report from pitch-side during matches.

Match commentary will be by Guy Mowbray, Jonathan Pearce, Steve Wilson, Simon Brotherton and Steve Bower, with co-commentary from Mark Lawrenson, Mark Bright, Mick McCarthy and Martin Keown.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/22/emmanuel-adebayor-bbc-world-cup

I don't see John Motson listed here but I think he will be there judging by what I read on the BBC website. I thought he was planning on stepping aside for this World Cup but maybe not.

This looks a solid line-up to me. It will be interesting to see how Murray gets on in Chiles's shoes. I'm glad Strachan and Mick are involved. Mario's show will be worth a look.

ITV

Here's where things get a bit puzzling. ITV have got Patrick Vieira on board which is fair enough (expect at least one question on the handball of course) but they have also weirdly gone for Francois Pienarr, who captained South Africa to their Rugby World Cup win in 1995. Wha? Could they not have found a former South African footballer? Quinton Fortune maybe? Saw him on ESPN a few months back so I'm sure he would have done it. Or perhaps Lucas Radebe? Can't work out their logic here.

As well as these two and new anchor Adrian Chiles, ITV will have Marcel Desailly, Kevin Keegan (with ESPN's blessing I guess) and Edgar Davids. ITV will air 32 live games from the event in high definition for the first time.

Not to be outdone on the comedy front, James "Who is his agent?" Corden will be providing a supporting programme called World Cup Live, which will air on ITV1 and ITV4 after every evening match and feature a "World Cup legend" and celebrity guests. ITV's answer to Apres Match?

Other stuff from The Guardian:
    On top of its live coverage, ITV1 will broadcast a one-hour highlights programme each day World Cup matches are played.

ITV said that it had taken lessons from the popularity of its multimedia coverage of the the general election campaign and will be launching "dual screen" coverage through ITV.com.

The initiative, called ITV Live, will allow viewers with laptops to customise ITV.com with a range of interactive elements from a chat service – which can link to Facebook – to polls, quizzes and statistics on teams and players. ITV.com will also be simulcasting matches.

Apple iPhone owners will be able to download a free ITV World Cup app which will have news, match highlights and a TV guide as well as a links to a live mobile streaming service. ITV will also be running podcasts.

A red-button TV service will give access to World Cup Extra, a video stream with daily news bulletins and interviews from the England team camp. It has been produced by ITN Productions. Viewers will also be able to post, and read, comments on the ITV Live web service through the red button on TV. Viewers will also be able to text in comments.

Other TV programming will include four-part series World Cup Rock'n'Goal Years and Gazza's Tears - The Night That Changed Football, which will be broadcast on ITV1. On ITV4 Neil Morrissey and Richard Fox will appear in Men Brewing Badly, where they take a truckload of their own beer through Africa to the World Cup.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/27/itv-world-cup-patrick-viera-francois-pienaar

This bit particularly caught my eye though:
    Each morning GMTV will broadcast live from South Africa with segments including one fronted by Danielle Lineker, wife of BBC presenter Gary Lineker.

WAGtastic. Not to be missed. Have to say I'm not terribly impressed with ITV's plans, some of which I find very odd, but maybe it will come good?

RTE

RTE seem to be keeping their cards close to their chest on their line-up. (Or else they haven't worked it out yet which is quite plausible) but according to the website:
    From the opening ceremony, and the first game of the tournament where hosts South Africa face Mexico, on 11 June to the final on 11 July you won't miss a kick of the ball here on RTÉ.

With every match live, a highlights programme every evening, and the very best in analysis from the greatest team of pundits on television, RTÉ is the only place for the best coverage of the biggest tournament in football.

All coverage will also be streamed live right here on RTÉ.ie/sport on our dedicated World Cup website, where we will also have live web-only coverage of all matches in the final round of simultaneous group games.

So stick with RTÉ this summer for a feast of football action from FIFA World Cup 2010.

I'm guessing the usual line-up of Dunphy, Giles, Ronnie, Trevor, Kenny, etc. Maybe Souness will be there?

Apres Match have been confirmed to appear. It's being reported in promotion of their comedy tour and it was confirmed by Risteard Cooper in an interview here.
    Your daily sketches during Euro 2008, many of them live, were hugely popular. Are you doing similar work on this summer's World Cup?

Yeah and we're doing quite a lot of live sketches again. People really loved us reacting to matches that were just over instead of playing pre-recorded material. It's a lot more enjoyable for us too.

That's a big plus for RTE's coverage. I'm guessing they will be good entertainment value.

So anything catch your eye? What station do you plan on watching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Thanx for the info, btw is BBC3 on Sky digital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Awesome.

Watching Marcel Desailly is about as funny as television gets these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Thanx for the info, btw is BBC3 on Sky digital?

Yes but you have to tune it in yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The ITV James Cordon thing looks like it might be class, I reckon its the current version of Baddiel and Skinner's Fantasy Football. At least hopefully anyway that show was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Yes but you have to tune it in yourself.

Thats the same thing with ITV isn't it, though i never bothered tuning that in, suppose be worth it tuning in both them channels for the WC if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are baddiel and sinner not doing their program ? fairly sure i read somewhere they were.

bah

http://www.frankskinnerlive.com/news-pop-up.php?id=118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    The ITV James Cordon thing looks like it might be class, I reckon its the current version of Baddiel and Skinner's Fantasy Football. At least hopefully anyway that show was awesome.

The less I see of James Cordon the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

greendom wrote: »
    The less I see of James Cordon the better

Ah James Cordon is class. He is bordering on Justin Lee Collins (Being funny at first but then showing up on every show ever) but James gets away with it as he is funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Ah James Cordon is class. He is bordering on Justin Lee Collins (Being funny at first but then showing up on every show ever) but James gets away with it as he is funnier.

He is the unfunniest thing on tv. And the worst thing about him is he thinks he's fantastic. On all those chat/quiz type celebrity programmes he spends the whole time pissing himself laughing at his own jokes. Terrible, terrible.

I could watch Justin Lee Collins but James Cordon needs a slap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

"Special 1 tv" is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

special1tv_682x400_740143a.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement