Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aid Floatillas Attacked

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Actually, the same and worse happens all the time in countries such as China, Syria, Iran, Thailand, etc.
    Try finding any type of serious discussion here on boards that relates to human rights abuse in these countries...
    You also won't find too many UN resolutions that address human rights issues in these countries...

And that makes it all right then?

There have been threads discussing all those by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Archie D Bunker

karma_ wrote: »
    And that makes it all right then?

There have been threads discussing all those by the way.

Doesn't make it right, I just find it strange that a conflict which accounts for say 10% of all the suffering in the world gets 90% of the world's attention, while other conflicts or human rights issues which account for 90% of all the suffering in the world get 10% of the attention.

(all numbers are just for argument sake and are not accurate figures...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

prinz wrote: »
    You know what this reminds me of? Whataboutery...... the very thing that some of the posters here love to scream when attacks on Israelis are mentioned. Pathetic.

So, it whataboutery when someone else does it, but not when you do it. Good to know.

Doesn't make it right, I just find it strange that a conflict which accounts for say 10% of all the suffering in the world gets 90% of the world's attention, while other conflicts or human rights issues which account for 90% of all the suffering in the world get 10% of the attention.

(all numbers are just for argument sake and are not accurate figures...)

Yeah, that would be fair point, but every single one of your 42 posts are on topics about Israel (as of this typing). Perhaps you need to practice what you preach, before hurling such accusations at others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭joesoap007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

wes wrote: »
    So, it whataboutery when someone else does it, but not when you do it. Good to know.

So you see the hypocrisy too then. Glad it's not just me. Good to know. Screams of whataboutery is not my first line of defence on a regular basis.

O THE IRONY. On this very thread and all...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66178333&postcount=1068

Now are you going to claim that some scumbag little settler is on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

I wouldn't be starting a political thread in here if it wasn't so serious and needed immediate attention. If people could try not to deviate away from the main issue here it would be appreciated as this is important and something that extends beyond merely politics, but has become a humanitarian issue

Reports coming in at the minute, and hopefully will turn out not to be false in the morning, that volunteers on the boats bringing badly needed aid and supplies to Gaza were killed when the IDF opened fire on them leaving some injured and a reported 3 dead.

It would astonish me if this did not become a huge international issue. The agenda of those on the ships were clear and yet Israel continued, in international waters, to fire on innocent men and women only trying to deliver much needed aid to a region that has been crippled by blockades. I Believe ,in case of a situation like this, many political activists from across the world and many media representatives were included on the flotilla to document what goes on. So hopefully a transparent report of events will come to light very soon.

As I'm typing there is live footage on this link http://www.livestream.com/insaniyardim, you can hear gunfire as IDF soldiers are lowered upon one of the vessels.

There can be no justification for any of these actions by the IDF, regardless of anyone being dead which is still obviously unconfirmed among all the commotion aboard the flotillas. In international waters attacking ships trying to deliver aid is outrageous and any right minded individual would condemn this.

Yawn fest...

*changes station*... oh look Family Guy!... :D

Oh snap!.. right on topic too!...

"Congressman: There is no just cause for an invasion of Iraq.
    Peter: Well that may be, but what were all forgetting is anyone that doesn't want to go to war is gay.
    Congressman:I want to go to war.
    Congressman:I want to go to war.
    All of Congress:I want to go to war.
    Dick Cheney:I was the first one who wanted to go to war. "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Aye, whataboutery. That's a great nonsensical word, isn't it? You keep rolling it out son, thinking you're clever. It merely highlights the holes in your arguments.

Yeah, that would be fair point, but every single one of your 42 posts are on topics about Israel (as of this typing). Perhaps you need to practice what you preach, before hurling such accusations at others.

The flotilla debate is the first time I've ever commented in boards.ie, even though I've been reading threads for several years now (not just Israeli/Palestinian ones btw). The other threads I've been reading are really boring in comparison...
    Once this debate is over and I lose interest there will probably be some other issue that I will focus on - now that I know how much fun it is to post :)

So you see the hypocrisy too then. Glad it's not just me. Good to know. Screams of whataboutery is not my first line of defence on a regular basis.

Nah, its just a statement of fact, when people want to drag the thread off topic.

What irony?
    Now are you going to claim that some scumbag little settler is on topic?

Why would I do that? Its clearly off topic, but I do find the cries of whatboutery by those who engage in it to be pretty hypocritical. Also, notice I didn't actually make claims about scum bag settlers, btw.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    Aye, whataboutery. That's a great nonsensical word, isn't it? You keep rolling it out son, thinking you're clever. It merely highlights the holes in your arguments.

What holes? Also, I know I am clever ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Doesn't make it right, I just find it strange that a conflict which accounts for say 10% of all the suffering in the world gets 90% of the world's attention

Because Israel is a MODERN state supposedly peopled by enlightened,schloarly,bookish types that were hard-done by during the 2nd World War...now that they have thier own stae to avoid further persecution they're determined to inflict racist savagry on the indiginous people and indeed on anybody who questions them.
    The irony is that they're treating people in the settled areas as bad or worse than Hitler treated thier own people 60 years ago.

Why would I do that? Its clearly off topic, but I do find the cries of whatboutery by those who engage in it to be pretty hypocritical. Also, notice I didn't actually make claims about scum bag settlers, btw.

But you thanked the post that introduced the links? And you failed to remprimand those posters as you did the first poster with the link to Israeli deaths? Any reason for the sudden change of heart about people dragging the thread off topic? Or for some reason, is it only off topic if it involves Israeli deaths...?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66195369&postcount=1434

Off topic admitting to Israel bashing for the sake of it. Thanked by your good self.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66195136&postcount=1431

Why did this post not get a reprimand from yourself for engaging in off topic whataboutery?

The flotilla debate is the first time I've ever commented in boards.ie, even though I've been reading threads for several years now (not just Israeli/Palestinian ones btw). The other threads I've been reading are really boring in comparison...
    :)

Once this debate is over and I lose interest there will probably be some other issue that I will focus on - now that I know how much fun it is to post :)

Welll no that isn't true, you replied to me in this post back in March:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64843559&postcount=40

Since then all yours post have been on Israel/Palestine threads. So how about practicing what you preach, before making accusations against others. You have not posted on any other topics, and I have checked all yours posts. So, how can you criticise others for posting in these topics, when thats all you have done on here yourself?

Degsy wrote: »
    The irony is that they're treating people in the settled areas as bad or worse than Hitler treated thier own people 60 years ago.

I must have missed all the millions of dead Palestinians.

But you thanked the post that introduced the links? And you failed to remprimand those posters as you did the first poster with the link to Israeli deaths? Any reason for the sudden change of heart about people dragging the thread off topic? Or for some reason, is it only off topic if it involves Israeli deaths...?

I don't have to reprimand all posters. Perhaps you should give it a go ;).
    Off topic admitting to Israel bashing for the sake of it. Thanked by your good self.

Yeah, your right it is off topic, but considering you have made sevaral such posts yourself, I think it bit rich to complain.

Welll no that isn't true, you replied to me in this post back in March:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64843559&postcount=40

Since then all yours post have been on Israel/Palestine threads. So how about practicing what you preach, before making accusations against others. You have not posted on any other topics, and I have checked all yours posts. So, how can you criticise others for posting in these topics, when thats all you have done on here yourself?

Damn, you caught me, I forgot I commented on other threads before.
    OK, I'll admit it. I'm a Mossad agent sent to infiltrate boards.ie. Now shut up and give me your passport.

Damn, you caught me, I forgot I commented on another thread before.
    OK, I'll admit it. I'm a Mossad agent sent to infiltrate boards.ie. Now shut up and give me your passport.

I never claimed you were up to something, just that you are complaining about people talking about a topic, that you yourself only seem to talk about.

What irony?

The irony is that you are mighty quick to denounce someone linking the the lynching of two unarmed Israelis as off topic whataboutery, yet link to settlers mistreating Palestinians.... not a word, hey you even thank them. That is called hypocrisy.

The irony is that you are mighty quick to denounce someone linking the the lynching of two unarmed Israelis as off topic whataboutery, yet link to settlers mistreating Palestinians.... not a word. That is called hypocrisy.

Fair enough, I am a hypocrite, and if that the case, someone who posts off topic whataboutery complaining about others doing the same is also a hypocrite.

• Advertisement

I never claimed you were up to something, just that you are complaining about people talking about a topic, that you yourself only seem to talk about.

TBH, I don't really care about people. I can understand that some issues are more important to people than others.
    What annoys me is the UN and human rights groups that concentrate all their time and effort on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, when there are other much more serious conflicts and human rights violations that are ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

TBH, I don't really care about people. I can understand that some issues are more important to people than others.
    What annoys me is the UN and human rights groups that concentrate all their time and effort on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, when there are other much more serious conflicts and human rights violations that are ignored.

Ahahahhahahahhahahahhahahdahhahashdahhahasadahsahahhaha

Fair enough, I am a hypocrite, and if that the case, someone who posts off topic whataboutery complaining about others doing the same is also a hypocrite.

Fine with me. At least own up to your agenda, about as humanitarian as the people on that floatilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jerus

p

Well, I would disagree with your perception of thing personally.

Fine with me. At least own up to your agenda, about as humanitarian as the people on that floatilla.

I have never claimed to be a humanitarian actually, so your above comment is utter nonsense.

Also, of course I have an agenda, and never claimed otherwise. You I am sure have your own agenda as well, as does everyone else.

Also, the floatilla peoples agenda was to break the illegal siege, and deliver aid, last time I checked.

The IDF agenda seems to have been to murder people based on the people they killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Which UN groups are concentrating all of their time on Israel while ignoring other human rights violations? Of course there are some advocacy groups predominantly focused on the Isreali conflict but there are others predominantly focused on almost all other conflicts and human rights violations.

The fact that this is a hot topic atm doesn't mean that anyone is a hypocrite, or against Israel just for being Israel.. it means that people are obviously fed up of that country's disregard for international law & protocol and its reluctance to comply with requests to be transparent

I'm sure that if you look back over threads from the past, the same amount of outrage has been shown towards countless other nations/groups/policies.

I have never claimed to be a humanitarian actually, so your above comment is utter nonsense..

So just to clarify an Israeli life to you is worth less than someone else's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I must have missed all the millions of dead Palestinians.

Maybe the israelis did with them what Hitler supposedly did with "millions" of the jews..ie they vanised off the face of the earth leaving no traces at all.
    Hell,maybe in a few years a gang of inflential palestinians will demand thier own country in whats now Israel,citing persecution and genocide.
    It'll be history repating itself with a touch of delicious irony thrown in.

• Advertisement

So just to clarify an Israeli life to you is worth less than someone else's?

All Human life is equal. Sadly the IDF don't share my belief on this, when they murdered those people on the floatilla.

So do you think the IDF can go around and kill whoever they please btw? Also, are the IDF the only people allowed to defend themselves?

(Taught I would ask my own leading questions too).

Advertisement