Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Here's what's left.

1. John Alton was the cinematographer
    2. Released in the same year as 1. The lead prepared for his role by studying addicts going cold turkey.
    3. Also released in the same year as the above. Could also say it inspired parts of Lost Highway.
    10. Considered to be one of the first film-noirs.
    Renn wrote: »
    Time for some oldies...

123xlvo.jpg

2zzu5qu.jpg

dyk2on.jpg

15dnwo7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

1. Knight moves.

10. Cape fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Delbertgrady:

1: Knight moves
    3. The Sweet hereafter?
    7. Hang em high
    9. Copycat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Based on the extra clues...

Renn 2 is The Man with the Golden Arm (Saul Bass credits)
    Renn 3 is Kiss Me Deadly

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Delbertgrady:

1: Knight moves
    3. The Sweet hereafter?
    7. Hang em high
    9. Copycat

Knight Moves, The Sweet Hereafter and Copycat are all correct. It's not Hang 'Em High. It's a very generic shot, admittedly, but that's the challenge, I suppose.

Rednik was also right with Knight Moves and spotting Martin Balsam in Cape Fear.

Well done, both.

Some furious activity on this thread this morning. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Based on the extra clues...

Renn 2 is The Man with the Golden Arm (Saul Bass credits)
    Renn 3 is Kiss Me Deadly

Both are right!

Knight Moves, The Sweet Hereafter and Copycat are all correct. It's not Hang 'Em High. It's a very generic shot, admittedly, but that's the challenge, I suppose.

Rednik was also right with Knight Moves and spotting Martin Balsam in Cape Fear.

Well done, both.

Some furious activity on this thread this morning. :D

Is the Clint movie Pale Rider ?

7. Two mules for sister sara

Here's what's left.

2. Released in the same year as 1. The lead prepared for his role by studying addicts going cold turkey.
    3. Also released in the same year as the above. Could also say it inspired parts of Lost Highway.

1. The big combo. Again would never have got without the extra clues.

• Advertisement

Correct rednik.

It's not Pale Rider, Rednik. It is Two Mules for Sister Sara. Well done Zeek12.

These pics were a bit on the small size, so just re-posting larger versions

4E47FB0DF03848CC850782405B9F3640-0000362688-0003190378-00500L-5AAF32B1BC5248578F826B73178D84F2.png

Only one left from this lot. Any takers?

Hint: The director is a very famous Academy Award winner, but this film was a bit of a departure and is'nt typical of his work from the period.

These pics were a bit on the small size, so just re-posting larger versions

4E47FB0DF03848CC850782405B9F3640-0000362688-0003190378-00500L-5AAF32B1BC5248578F826B73178D84F2.png

Only one left from this lot. Any takers?

Hint: The director is a very famous Academy Award winner, but this film was a bit of a departure and is'nt typical of his work from the period.

Argh! The Last Waltz!
    Can't believe I didn't get that.

Argh! The Last Waltz!

Right you are! It's The Staple Singers brilliant performance of "The Weight" from Scorcese's The Last Waltz.

Well done.

Can't believe I didn't get that.

I'm kinda surprised it went this long - thought it would be spotted straight away.

(I really wanted to do a pic of Van the Man strutting his stuff on stage, but that would have been way too obvious:D)

It never even occurred to me. It looks so properly "cinematic", I thought it was from a feature film biopic, or a music-centric film, in a similar vein to Nashville. Ridiculous that I didn't get it immediately. I'm very annoyed at myself. :mad: :P

Here's what's left.

Is 10 I am a fugitive from a chain gang ?.

Nope. This was released in 1940.

• Advertisement

The Stranger on the Third Floor.

Correct!

2. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrG33SDCMDIupu5b4qkTr6E7RjKvFojby1828Mz9yqNC7K9wz0kw

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5aDDahpp9sxfZpFtq2QyDlP1-fLnV3rlyPxa8kiXXk0DWFqs

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiNc5jT953BwKhjOt3bkfjpN7bNLzynT95LaFvXzb8V-3FoN3cog

8. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3ga-rtH-Mc32RDfLvcrjoXAqmcWeY_OzcfCaIQrH1EaszO740SQ

These are the remaining ones of my most recent set.
    I'll hold off on clues for the moment, but I will say the last one is a documentary.

Looking back through those early film noir days what incredible imagery was used. The use of shadows was stunning. I must checkout some of these to view. I have seen some through the years but I have a lot more to see. They are simply stunning, thanks for that Renn.

rednik wrote: »
    Looking back through those early film noir days what incredible imagery was used. The use of shadows was stunning. I must checkout some of these to view. I have seen some through the years but I have a lot more to see. They are simply stunning, thanks for that Renn.

Yeah, I second this. It's a bit like when you (Rednik) posted a still from Race with the Devil and I went off and bought the DVD 'cos I was so keen to see it again, this thread is great for prompting interest in films you've either not seen in ages, or perhaps have never seen.
    A lot of these film noir images - from films I've not watched since the mid-1990s in most cases - make me want to seek them out.
    Renn, your work here is done. :)

These are the remaining ones of my most recent set.
    I'll hold off on clues for the moment, but I will say the last one is a documentary.

Is #2 The Company of Wolves?

(Bit of a random guess. Have'nt seen it in years, but the scene does ring a bell)

• Advertisement

This too is still up for grabs.

17DC5DC1C59C4ED789A007FC853D7C80-0000336305-0003191225-00640L-2FA78598928D402AA7C8044F4F896E4E.jpg

Is #2 The Company of Wolves?

(Bit of a random guess. Have'nt seen it in years, but the scene does ring a bell)

Very well done. It is The Company of Wolves.
    It's just a cameo from Mr. Stamp. He's uncredited.

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI86NRxn5hzU_pn56f9ErK9vPhVdh1NxxXDhQqgsXWM-UDCqmp9A

I don't think anyone got this 2012 mumblecore film either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One last lot from me:

1. 2ypbw9v.png

2. jkelie.png

3. 5lteky.png

4. wjywp.png

5. 34eyd1y.png

6. 33kaerq.png

7. hu0t9y.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think anyone got this 2012 mumblecore film either.

Your Sister's Sister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Scubrick

@Rednik, Shooter?
    @johnny_ultimate, 1. The Virgin Spring.

Your Sister's Sister?

It is. Well done. I'm about to scrutinise your post now. :)

Scubrick wrote: »
    @Rednik, Shooter?
    @johnny_ultimate, 1. The Virgin Spring.

Shooter it is.

One last lot from me:

2. jkelie.png

5. 34eyd1y.png

Andrei Rublev and Mon Oncle.

They're the only two I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

dg3.jpg
    No takers?
    Mid nineties film. Got a lot of flack on release for strong scenes of sex and violence...

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRa5aDDahpp9sxfZpFtq2QyDlP1-fLnV3rlyPxa8kiXXk0DWFqs

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiNc5jT953BwKhjOt3bkfjpN7bNLzynT95LaFvXzb8V-3FoN3cog

8. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3ga-rtH-Mc32RDfLvcrjoXAqmcWeY_OzcfCaIQrH1EaszO740SQ

No. 5 is the 1978 directorial debut of a subsequent Oscar-winning director. Yes, that is Mr. Lennon on the screen. That's key to identifying the film.
    The director went on to have a fruitful commercial partnership with the director of No. 6, which is a film based on real events, featuring a future James Bond.
    No. 8 is from an acclaimed documentary about an American family, which started out as a film featuring one family member, and his job as a party clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I don't recognise your still, but 8 is a film I've seen. Capturing the Friedmans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,317 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One last lot from me:

6. 33kaerq.png

7. hu0t9y.png

6. Amelie?

7. the Neverending Story?

roanoke wrote: »
    I don't recognise your still, but 8 is a film I've seen. Capturing the Friedmans

It is Capturing the Friedmans. Well deduced.

No. 5 is the 1978 directorial debut of a subsequent Oscar-winning director. Yes, that is Mr. Lennon on the screen. That's key to identifying the film.
    The director went on to have a fruitful commercial partnership with the director of No. 6, which is a film based on real events, featuring a future James Bond.
    No. 8 is from an acclaimed documentary about an American family, which started out as a film featuring one family member, and his job as a party clown.

Is 6 Defiance ?
    Is 8 I wanna hold your hand ?

• Advertisement

No, it's not Defiance, but you've got the right James Bond.
    The screen shot is from a 2005 film, a year before Casino Royale.
    If it's I Wanna Hold Your Hand (which it is: well done), that makes it Robert Zemeckis, who collaborated with...

No, it's not Defiance, but you've got the right James Bond.
    The screen shot is from a 2005 film, a year before Casino Royale.
    If it's I Wanna Hold Your Hand (which it is: well done), that makes it Robert Zemeckis, who collaborated with...

Spielberg/Munich. ;)

Ah, yes. It's the science of deduction! :)

1. FF4AEB11A5BF42AA9438CCE273FE7731-0000336305-0003191233-00640L-53FA6AA2080F46C682AF184C8FBAD6D5.jpg

2. 4F2A77F454DC4E81BB62F81CB3AC0569-0000336305-0003191219-00640L-D01187272D254A529639F2D50B277507.jpg

3. 4AC9A42299F9453C9EBFD69CDF33BE8D-0000336305-0003191218-00300L-6BEF55DC2B374AB3A316AF97745B0E59.jpg

4. FE3FD24C602D45A396AB31EFF63A2A96-0000336305-0003191216-00640L-8239BE22F9F24697A412EB460709F9A4.jpg

5. FDE27D54ACE94196A994151F498F83F9-0000336305-0003191217-00640L-219B37E7082C4B558D0932D3A87299E6.jpg

Ah, yes. It's the science of deduction! :)

We get there eventually.:)

1 is Peter Grant, not complaining about pirate posters, in The Song Remains the Same
    2 is Kill Bill, Vol. 1
    3 is Angel Heart
    4 is Leon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

5 Blood Diamond

1 is Peter Grant, not complaining about pirate posters, in The Song Remains the Same
    2 is Kill Bill, Vol. 1
    3 is Angel Heart
    4 is Leon

All correct.

tricky D wrote: »
    5 Blood Diamond

Correct.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

6. Amelie?

7. the Neverending Story?

Neither guess is correct I'm afraid.

Advertisement