Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

1 is Sharon Stone in Stardust Memories. 10 is of course Superman II, and I was only joking about being pedantic. It's from "Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut" - Zod doesn't use the machine gun in the Richard Lester version, unless I'm misremembering. :o There are so many missing and alternate scenes from Superman II, it's hard to keep track. Anyway, well done on both. :)

Interesting. Never realized there was a Directors cut of this. Would u recommend it? II was always my favorite in the series anyway. I recognized Zod straight away but couldn't recall the machine gun scene, so this explains it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It is The Last Temptation of Christ. Well done. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Interesting. Never realized there was a Directors cut of this. Would u recommend it? II was always my favorite in the series anyway. I recognized Zod straight away but couldn't recall the machine gun scene, so this explains it!

It's a great watch imho. It's not seamless (iirc they even use rehearsals or screentests at one point?) but I think overall the movie is better in the new cut. Either way I'd say it's a must-watch for fans of Superman II.

Zeek12 wrote: »

It'd be the makings of a whole other thread, and I couldn't begin to go into it here, but the wikipedia page on it is decent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II:_The_Richard_Donner_Cut

While it'd be unfair to critique it as a true alternate version (given the fact that they simply didn't have all the necessary footage at their disposal), I was very pleased when it was released, and it's definitely well worth a look if - like me - you have great affection for the film anyway.
    I particularly like the fact that they excise a lot of the Lester "comedy" elements (especially during the assault on Metropolis), but there was a limit to what they could do, since Donner didn't get to finish the film in the first place: they even have to rely on screen tests to fill the gaps of some unfilmed scenes. Still, I think it was worth doing, and if you've never seen it, you should seek it out.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

It'd be the makings of a whole other thread, and I couldn't begin to go into it here, but the wikipedia page on it is decent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II:_The_Richard_Donner_Cut

While it'd be unfair to critique it as a true alternate version (given the fact that they simply didn't have all the necessary footage at their disposal), I was very pleased when it was released, and it's definitely well worth a look if - like me - you have great affection for the film anyway.
    I particularly like the fact that they excise a lot of the Lester "comedy" elements (especially during the assault on Metropolis), but there was a limit to what they could do, since Donner didn't get to finish the film in the first place: they even have to rely on screen tests to fill the gaps of some unfilmed scenes. Still, I think it was worth doing, and if you've never seen it, you should seek it out.

Thanks. I will definitely look for it. This was one of the classic films of my youth:-)

2. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy9X7_lHaQboCnOIGSwlTbmYH2NOMafeqquUAa3u0HrrStYpEUHg

3. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBBEPF-ZB4g3fk4_0ThpP0WWjnLmkb3mfCqfouDIBsKDyiFWrKAA

4. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyDQUBbk6XJB8SRdgMjHqGvtFztLIS_heZea4E_5Q9cK-bMgDYIQ

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLebGGPaQtm1rJJG3UinFh8YOrvuFBrqDH1QF0wjIabNk8E_XEMA

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScqu4gxRBDjrw8GQxBIsbgT_F1WGfyTziPaMTFkinl0YEWDRAJcQ

7. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfk2UgZx-J2eF2LC6rV1zS6v2Ma350g7wp8v2xdKcUZMwyrGymwA

9. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd-poFqic-p9fwX-VOEEvTGaK_GF4pxVRYlcHYqofaqkaTmnb5

I've edited these down just to keep the thread tidy and restore some order.
    These are all outstanding from this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

9. Looks like Hilary and Jackie

Why, yes it does! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLebGGPaQtm1rJJG3UinFh8YOrvuFBrqDH1QF0wjIabNk8E_XEMA

Looks like Searching for Sugar Man, only seen it about 2 days ago!

It is from one of the brief animated sequences in Searching for Sugar Man.
    Well spotted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

roanoke wrote: »
    ^^ Ghost Dog (Way of the Samurai). Class film!
    Yep! So underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I've edited these down just to keep the thread tidy and restore some order.
    These are all outstanding from this morning.

3. The Natural?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

2 is Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Delbert #6 'the brinks job'?

Your Airbag: The third photo down (numbered as 4) is The Natural. I'm assuming that's what you meant. Anything else would be just a freaky coincidence.
    Tricky D: It is The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.
    Well done, both.

The Purple Tin: It's not The Brinks Job - inspired guess though!

Your Airbag: The third photo down (numbered as 4) is The Natural. I'm assuming that's what you meant. Anything else would be just a freaky coincidence.
    Well done, both.

Is no.6 The In-laws?

No. It's not The in-Laws.

1 3241-26988.gif

2 erns26bp.jpg

3 mac_03_jpg_594x334_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,760 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

3. is unfortunately Mac and Me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, in 2013, do we still need to warn in title those using 56k modems? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Well done, both.

Sorry my bad. I meant the pic with Robert Duvall. Great film with a great score btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

2 is Ernest Scared Stupid I had terrific taste in films as a kid :eek:.

2 is Ernest does Halloween I had terrific taste in films as a kid :eek:.
    You're very close...
    3. is unfortunately Mac and Me.
    It certainly is, that awful ET rip off :D

2 is Ernest Scared Stupid I had terrific taste in films as a kid :eek:.
    ;)

Sorry my bad. I meant the pic with Robert Duvall. Great film with a great score btw.

Agreed on both counts. Some of the keyboard parts are a bit dated, but the orchestral score is magnificent, and the opening suite (Prologue 1915-1923) is easily one of my favourite pieces of music. Randy Newman's score for Ragtime is also terrific.

• Advertisement

3. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBBEPF-ZB4g3fk4_0ThpP0WWjnLmkb3mfCqfouDIBsKDyiFWrKAA

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScqu4gxRBDjrw8GQxBIsbgT_F1WGfyTziPaMTFkinl0YEWDRAJcQ

7. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfk2UgZx-J2eF2LC6rV1zS6v2Ma350g7wp8v2xdKcUZMwyrGymwA

Clues:

(3) A film by one of the great independent American filmmakers, featuring one of his frequent collaborators (the man in the picture).
    (6) Let's just say that Mr. Falk is talking to someone significantly shorter than he is.
    (7) 1990s drama by an American playwright, starring his wife and an actor more famous for his comedic roles.

Clues:

(3) A film by one of the great independent American filmmakers, featuring one of his frequent collaborators (the man in the picture).
    (6) Let's just say that Mr. Falk is talking to someone significantly shorter than he is.
    (7) 1990s drama by an American playwright, starring his wife and an actor more famous for his comedic roles.

Based on your clue, I'll guess #3 is Ben Gazzara in The killing of a Chinese bookie.

Yes, it is. Well deduced.

6. I knew I recognised that scene from somewhere! Colombo is conversing with Kermit on a park bench in The Great Muppet Caper! :D

Well done! You get the gold star. :D

• Advertisement

7. Your clue would lead me to guess at either Sam Shepard or David Mamet, so I'll plump for The Spanish Prisoner, as it seems to fit your description the best!

Gold star upgrade!

Now, I've got to go off and come up with ten more...

1. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkgcMKmz_zbhzO56SYrMXFeJ-3mfW8sXmmSa4CEKIBTGivE6Gl

2. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0GvfbulMXBwqpjIswN7rJCsawKNFSP-N_bMSsfNAWzMdPYszE

3. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUbfmRdvI5JWpwKGXf6U6cBnLwYOfZy7F1DcUNL7awSRN6o0un4A

4. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBU5o1iUXT3g26kZG-A0lNd6BSiF1P1nPyiIGlG3pm1MvRLU_x

5. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCGtnGWlZrudOWXOdC4Rs-_Bt3f6c8DEgtFdDKKO9T4HKMBLfR4A

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGllBv-fls17-JEHzE4WEu2frPZzAAOgkPGfLRQ7XjwRZSPYzf

7. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1_C-sJ5tVji0hRq0_itnoqb5A6bM6-hxCpopGrXYeSxKUyziI

8. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReVwl_V8JR3V9VivzhPvo3_GUeup83u6d60U7txnGMVzerFP4DZQ

9. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCzKJv4v-m8E4KxbxTtZsi7d32_8wuSs_BGHldaYsr8rzHH5JX

10. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHuVLzryJOUM4k9nz4JgQIHm0zwuqj1WV9d8j6bivKDfIZ-KdRmg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

8. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReVwl_V8JR3V9VivzhPvo3_GUeup83u6d60U7txnGMVzerFP4DZQ
    The Game?

Network?

The Game is right, but Network (a very good guess) is wrong.
    It's William Holden alright, but it's a couple of years earlier.
    :)

4. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBU5o1iUXT3g26kZG-A0lNd6BSiF1P1nPyiIGlG3pm1MvRLU_x

6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGllBv-fls17-JEHzE4WEu2frPZzAAOgkPGfLRQ7XjwRZSPYzf

10. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHuVLzryJOUM4k9nz4JgQIHm0zwuqj1WV9d8j6bivKDfIZ-KdRmg

3. Easy A
    4. Gaslight
    5. Network
    6. High Road to China
    10. Bananas

Easy A and Network are wrong.
    The others are right.
    Well done in particular for High Road to China.

Ok, William Holden... Is it The Towering Inferno?

Also is 9. Sense and Sensibility?

It is The Towering Inferno - well done.
    It's not Sense and Sensibility.

• Advertisement

It's not Sense and Sensibility.

That's Titanic?

No, it's not.

No, it's not.

Hmm. Well it's defo from around that period. Hamlet then? (after that I give up :) )

Oh, alright then.
    It's Hamlet. :D

1. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkgcMKmz_zbhzO56SYrMXFeJ-3mfW8sXmmSa4CEKIBTGivE6Gl

7. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1_C-sJ5tVji0hRq0_itnoqb5A6bM6-hxCpopGrXYeSxKUyziI

These are what's left, to save everyone scrolling back through the thread.

2. Flash of genius?

3. It's definitely Emma Stone, so I'll go for The House Bunny

It's not Flash of Genius, but it is The House Bunny.
    Well done.

1. Captain America? (Just going by the poster in the backround :o)

Absolutely. Can't believe nobody spotted it before now. :P

• Advertisement

Auto Focus?

Advertisement