Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It is Ted. Well spotted.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    One of mine still left: A Chinese film by well known Chinese director. Story is centred around Mao's revolution from one family's point of view.....

To Live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

To Live.

Correct!

Some more clues for these.

1. The lead is known for playing one of Swedan's most famous detectives and featured in enjoys spending time in the sun.

5. One of musics most dynamic artists was heavily involved in this.

8. One of the stars of this was lost for awhile and his costar is an independent film maker who often documents his habit.

11. Takeshi Kaneshiro is in this one.
    7363450636_c4f1543e4f_b.jpg

4672344384_a30e5eab6c_b.jpg

4096619670_b96db561a9_o.png

3612896102_fd66ab52cc_o.png

6. this is one of the most unusual independent American films to come out in recent years and follows a group of friends preparing for the end of the world. Much flame is thrown...

8. This is a film from the master of action and features an Asian actor known for living a simple life though often caught up in intireus and affairs involving those close to him

8650621882_0485e23dcf_b.jpg

8650621596_53620c0e70_b.jpg

3.i402461.jpg

This is from a 1984 epic gangster film. This comes immediately after a scene set in the 1930s, and is being watched by the protagonist (who has been missing for many years) in 1968.
    1. i211055.jpg

7. i075380.jpg

8. i174495.jpg

10.i058552.jpg

1. 1972 film: this is in a town called Aintry, on the Cahulawassee River.
    7. This is a drunken best man leaving a 1985 wedding, from a film released in 1998.
    8. This is from a 1993 film with a set of interweaving stories: there's a brief mix up at the photo booth when customers each get the wrong set of photographs.
    10. The tagline for this film was: "They killed his wife ten years ago. There's still time to save her".

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Is 7 the wedding singer?

Yes, it is indeed; Steve Buscemi staggering away. Well deduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Some more clues for these.

1. The lead is known for playing one of Swedan's most famous detectives and featured in enjoys spending time in the sun.

I presume you are talking about Wallander?? So its either Krister Henriksson or Kenneth Branagh?

Theta wrote: »
    I presume you are talking about Wallander?? So its either Krister Henriksson or Kenneth Branagh?

I deduced the same, but either way, I still haven't a clue what the film is! :p

• Advertisement

This is from a 1984 epic gangster film. This comes immediately after a scene set in the 1930s, and is being watched by the protagonist (who has been missing for many years) in 1968.

Once Upon a Time in America?

Yes! I honestly thought people would have got that sooner. I sent it to someone as an e-mail attachment and they got it immediately. It's just after
    Noodles drives the car into the lake
    (which is where they used to conclude part one whenever it was shown on TV over two nights). It then cuts to this news report on the TV, and we're in 1968 again.
    Well deduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

5. One of musics most dynamic artists was heavily involved in this.

Ghosts...of the Civil Dead
    6. this is one of the most unusual independent American films to come out in recent years and follows a group of friends preparing for the end of the world. Much flame is thrown...

Bellflower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

SHORT CUTS?

8. This is from a 1993 film with a set of interweaving stories: there's a brief mix up at the photo booth when customers each get the wrong set of photographs.

I don't remember the actual shot but it sounds like Deliverance

Zeek12 wrote: »
    SHORT CUTS?
    I don't remember the actual shot but it sounds like Deliverance

Both correct, well done.

• Advertisement

Still no takers on this one....I've added a 2nd screenshot underneath which may jog someone's memory!
    This one seems to have slipped through, even though it's pretty well known in the crime genre.
    So time for the giveaway clue....the lead actor was renowned for his lazy laconic style and sported one of the most famous dimpled chins in Hollywood.

Someone's gotta get it now!

F8E2449DAD56459B88226DEA2ACBD900-0000362688-0003219259-00500L-8B4515229EA344CD89415BE0805F0767.png

84EE6FFC79D742F7A383E00153823173-0000362688-0003223379-00579L-373403BBF6074BB18C063E7C93D03CCB.png

SHORT CUTS?

I remember this was on TV one night. I'd never heard of it, or Robert Altman. I love ensemble pieces, and interlocking stories. Needless to say it blew me away. However, one sequence made me feel like I'd seen it before, and I spent much of the film wondering why I could remember that story, but none of the others. I later found out that the movie is based on a number of short stories by Raymond Carver. The story I remembered was also adapted into the movie Jindabyne with Gabriel Byrne, which I had already scene. Head-scratching solved, movie enjoyed.

Still no takers on this one....I've added a 2nd screenshot underneath which may jog someone's memory!

84EE6FFC79D742F7A383E00153823173-0000362688-0003223379-00579L-373403BBF6074BB18C063E7C93D03CCB.png

Argh! The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Starring Robert Mitchum, 1973. Directed by Peter Yates, who had directed Robbery and Bullitt.
    The mask gave it away, but the first shot you posted is when she turns up and the robbery is already in progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

7. This is a drunken best man leaving a 1985 wedding, from a film released in 1998.
    10. The tagline for this film was: "They killed his wife ten years ago. There's still time to save her".

10 has to be Time Cop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Trawling through Marlon Brando and Kurt Douglas movies is proving fruitless.

• Advertisement

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I remember this was on TV one night. I'd never heard of it, or Robert Altman. I love ensemble pieces, and interlocking stories. Needless to say it blew me away. However, one sequence made me feel like I'd seen it before, and I spent much of the film wondering why I could remember that story, but none of the others. I later found out that the movie is based on a number of short stories by Raymond Carver. The story I remembered was also adapted into the movie Jindabyne with Gabriel Byrne, which I had already scene. Head-scratching solved, movie enjoyed.

Altman was the original master of the interconnecting stories movie.
    If you haven't seen it yet you should check out Nashville. It follows a similar pattern and is one of his best, but takes a more darkly comic tone.

Trawling through Marlon Brando and Kurt Douglas movies is proving fruitless.

I'll save you some time.....it's neither of those two:pac:

But the lead actor was of a very similar age to Douglas and if memory serves correct, they appeared in a great film noir together at one time.

At last!! What kept you? :D
    I thought the mask shot might give it away. Yes, the first shot came just moments before the second one, when the female employee arrived at the bank only to realise there's trouble afoot...

Well done.
    Argh! The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Starring Robert Mitchum, 1973. Directed by Peter Yates, who had directed Robbery and Bullitt.
    The mask gave it away, but the first shot you posted is when she turns up and the robbery is already in progress.

Altman was the original master of the interconnecting stories movie.
    If you haven't seen it yet you should check out Nashville. It follows a similar pattern and is one of his best, but takes a more darkly comic tone.

Yes, I've read about Nashville but I haven't seen it. My girlfriend recorded something called 'Nashville' recently, and I was dead impressed with her. How does she know I like Robert Altman? But then I find out it's a sub-Treme drama series that even she thinks is ****. Not good.

p to the e wrote: »
    10 has to be Time Cop

Why, yes it does! Well done. :D
    Altman was the original master of the interconnecting stories movie. If you haven't seen it yet you should check out Nashville. It follows a similar pattern and is one of his best, but takes a more darkly comic tone.

I remember in the pre-DVD mid-1990s, Nashville - which was unavailable on video at the time - was on television (a very rare occurrence), and I was so keen to have a copy that I recorded it on TWO machines on two different televisions, just in case one of the videotapes turned out to be dodgy. Sad, really. :o
    At last!! What kept you? :D
    I thought the mask shot might give it away. Yes, the first shot came just moments before the second one, when the female employee arrived at the bank only to realise there's trouble afoot...

Well done.

Thanks, but I really should have got it sooner. :mad::p

Ah, those were the days, when you really had to work hard for your love of film! I seem to remember doing something similar with Apocalypse Now (I didn't have a second VHS, so made a friend tape it for me too.... just in case!)

I remember in the pre-DVD mid-1990s, Nashville - which was unavailable on video at the time - was on television (a very rare occurrence), and I was so keen to have a copy that I recorded it on TWO machines on two different televisions, just in case one of the videotapes turned out to be dodgy. Sad, really. :o

Off-topic, but anyway:

I still have BOXES of stuff taped off the TV, but it's all buried away. I remember being really pleased because I got THREE films on one 240 minute tape once, due to some strategic planning (and editing of ads). Monsieur Hire and December Bride were two: I can't remember the third.
    I also remember recording Reds off the BBC on August 30th, 1997 (the reason I know the date will become clear). The tape was duly labelled and filed away. Many months (or even years) later, while setting up the tape to record something after it (there would have been an hour left after the movie), I stumbled across a news bulletin that had been broadcast after the Beatty film, in the small hours of August 31st, stating that Diana, Princess of Wales had been involved in a car crash in Paris and was reported to have a broken arm...

1. i486206.jpg

2. i336432.jpg

3. i344846.jpg

4. i155423.jpg

5. i436557.jpg

6. cap066uq8.2032.jpg

7.i020567.jpg

8.i516085.jpg

9.i005218.jpg

10.i322143.jpg

3. The Right Stuff

9. The Big Lebowski

6. Foul play

9. The Big Lebowski (Brother Seamus):D

7. Falling Down?

• Advertisement

3. The Right Stuff

9. The Big Lebowski
    6. Foul play

9. The Big Lebowski (Brother Seamus):D

7. Falling Down?

All correct. I was waiting for my previous batch to run its course before I put up another ten. It is indeed Barbara Hershey making a run for it in Falling Down. It's just occured to me that she was in my last set of pictures too (in Hoosiers), and she's in The Right Stuff! Purely a coincidence.
    Well done, both. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

2. Dirty Harry.

It is indeed Dirty Harry. Well spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

4. Goldeneye

4. Goldeneye

It is indeed Izabella Scorupco in GoldenEye. Well done. :)

10. A View to a Kill?

Very well done. A throwaway token "gag", it is from A View to a Kill, during the fire engine chase. Well spotted.

Is 8. Argo?

It is: Ben Affleck arriving at the CIA in Argo.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

1. i486206.jpg

The Artist

Correct. Well done.
    Only this one left. It's from a documentary, so if you recognise the guy in the image...
    5. i436557.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

Senna?

It is Senna. Well deduced.

6A58FB80A36F4021A7317E96B451E7A8-0000362688-0003223859-00577L-37B0738E52764CFD81BDDE98A83C6268.png

BDF5506E65CE46068C40BE1FFF69B531-0000362688-0003223858-00466L-A77CE73CA38344ECABE6ACB2B02EAD35.png

4B4FC581AAB7441C855057D59CC7040C-0000362688-0003223857-00500L-823C1B4E6E904DC9A3F92BE3CE879AFC.png

59ACFC8C7CAF40E3BBFEE77568BDABC3-0000362688-0003223856-00566L-22411255A0D44D75810E3DF9DFD651EB.png

C2145B99575749C7AE6F9067CAA693B8-0000362688-0003223855-00582L-1AF3025667AC4777994872689F0208E5.png

F3D5DCE4488C46469FE6600EFA7A2D3F-0000362688-0003223853-00595L-8721D9A99C974893B34B3A8E7A04F0CD.png

577E965CD082470AB53243F6C16517A9-0000362688-0003223854-00610L-DD51C5AFFFD243DC988025692FE58BCB.png

5523DCDAD5CC455AA2795F407F6A1D66-0000362688-0003223852-00616L-6F4E868521F74989820F6688DE45DCFC.png

FC513CF275024DEE82D01EE1C181204C-0000362688-0003223851-00596L-F865D9AC49E24718B815713D181ED3B7.png

I think 3 is The Illusionist
    6 is The Descendants
    There is a scene in Straw Dogs where Dustin has two pots boiling, but it looks too bright to be that, so I'll take a chance and say the 2011 remake of Straw Dogs for 8.

• Advertisement

I think 3 is The Illusionist
    6 is The Descendants
    There is a scene in Straw Dogs where Dustin has two pots boiling, but it looks too bright to be that, so I'll take a chance and say the 2011 remake of Straw Dogs for 8.

3. Good try....but no.

6. Correct

9. Very close...but you should've gone with your first instinct:pac:

Finally someone got em. Was surprised it took so long to get Ghosts of the Civil Dead but I suppose it is one of those great films that never got a proper release over here.

The character I referenced is Wallander but it's neither of those two actors.

577E965CD082470AB53243F6C16517A9-0000362688-0003223854-00610L-DD51C5AFFFD243DC988025692FE58BCB.png

Martha Marcy May Marlene

3. Good try....but no.

6. Correct

9. Very close...but you should've gone with your first instinct:pac:

Argh! Is it the Peckinpah? :eek:
    Giamatti must be The Last Station then...

FC513CF275024DEE82D01EE1C181204C-0000362688-0003223851-00596L-F865D9AC49E24718B815713D181ED3B7.png

The Tempest

• Advertisement
Advertisement