Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Is it Separate Lies?

Yeah, that's it. Well done. That was a difficult one.

One left:

4. It's a Korean film from the last 10 years. The profession in the picture is part of the title...
    vlcsnap-2013-04-16-22h57m35s166_zps1025205c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The President's Barber.

Based solely on the clue.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

The President's Barber.

Based solely on the clue.

Yeah, that's the one. It's worth a watch!

1. i135011.jpg

2.i137177.jpg

3.i013298.jpg

4.i165472.jpg

5.i079416.jpg

6.i165973.jpg

7.i544599.jpg

8.i490295.jpg

9.i386312.jpg

10.i010716.jpg

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

8. Hot Fuzz

• Advertisement

2. looks like a Carry On film. God knows which one!!

4. Dog Day Afternoon
    5. Schindler's List
    6. The Firm
    7. First Blood
    9. Shine
    10. Twister

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    2. looks like a Carry On film. God knows which one!!

4. Dog Day Afternoon
    5. Schindler's List
    6. The Firm
    7. First Blood
    9. Shine
    10. Twister

Well done, and to Scouttio too for Hot Fuzz.

It's not a Carry On film, but the rest are correct.
    Only the first three are left now, which are certainly the trickiest ones.

Is 3 Hope and Glory? (complete guess!)

Not a bad guess, but it's set a bit later.
    Post-War, Austerity Britain: 1947, to be precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

1. i135011.jpg

Flash Gordon

• Advertisement

Very well done! It's the opening (post-titles) scene of Flash Gordon. Robbie Coltrane makes a very brief appearance as "Man at airfield". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not a bad guess, but it's set a bit later.
    Post-War, Austerity Britain: 1947, to be precise.

is that the one where they raise a pig at home for food? cant think of name

Well done, and to Scouttio too for Hot Fuzz.

It's not a Carry On film, but the rest are correct.
    Only the first three are left now, which are certainly the trickiest ones.

Is that Terry Scott in the phone box? That's what made me think of Carry On.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Riskymove wrote: »
    is that the one where they raise a pig at home for food? cant think of name

A Private Function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Here are some old ones I don't think anyone got yet

#1 is centred around a boys relationship with a dog (not his dog btw)

It's The Mighty Celt. I actually answered this a few days ago, but you must have missed my post. It was driving me nuts for ages. I initially thought it was Mickybo & Me, but I done a bit of snooping around and came across it.

Well done to Riskymove for figuring out the film and Dark Crystal for remembering the name. It is indeed A Private Function.
    The headscarf man in the phone booth is probably best remembered for playing the central role in a long-running British legal drama from the late 1970s to early 1990s.

Well done to Riskymove for figuring out the film and Dark Crystal for remembering the name. It is indeed A Private Function.
    The headscarf man in the phone booth is probably best remembered for playing the central role in a long-running British legal drama from the late 1970s to early 1990s.

So it's Leo McKern...... I've no idea what film it is now!

McKern and the cult members are out to recover an item that's crucial to a sacrificial ceremony that they wish to perform. The item has ended up in the possession of a well known musician...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

McKern and the cult members are out to recover an item that's crucial to a sacrificial ceremony that they wish to perform. The item has ended up in the possession of a well known musician...

Help!

It is indeed The Beatles' Help!
    Well done.

• Advertisement

I would never have got that one.

Well, I try to get a balance. For each set of ten, I usually have two or three that are a bit more "obscure".
    Mind you, I'm still wondering what the hell Zeek12's last remaining two are.

1.i124015.jpg

2.i005657.jpg

3.i427332.jpg

4.i218544.jpg

5.i109348.jpg

6.i059477.jpg

7.i143029.jpg

8.i162688.jpg

9.i009100.jpg

10.i450775.jpg

Well, I try to get a balance. For each set of ten, I usually have two or three that are a bit more "obscure".
    Mind you, I'm still wondering what the hell Zeek12's last remaining two are.

I wasn't criticising your choices. It'd be no fun if they were all easy! I'm just not familiar with that film at all.

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I wasn't criticising your choices. It'd be no fun if they were all easy! I'm just not familiar with that film at all.

Ah, I know. A Beatles nut would have probably identified Help! immediately, but could have been struggling with some of the ones you got outright. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

10. The Help

10 is Jessica Chastain in The Help. Well done. :)

5. Patriot Games?

It is Patriot Games. Sean Bean on the left, Anne Archer driving the car. Well deduced. :)

• Advertisement

These were a bit obscure so to help jog the memory, I've added another shot from #6 at the bottom. Once you get that one you should be able to work out #1 based on the clues from before!
    Zeek12 wrote: »

I don't think these were got yet.
    Another clue for #1: one of the main stars was posted by someone else here (in shot from a different film) within the last 3 days!

Some clues for the ones still left:

1. A darkly comic crime film from the early 90's. The writer/director went on to receive acclaim for another movie later that decade which was similarly dark but humorous

6. A bit of an obscure shot from a very well known 90's movie which had an all star cast - one of whom was the lead actor in movie 1 above!

886052D4AB354A39BCFF367B98D5B643-0000362688-0003222023-00386L-CB3E19E8B1E043CABD457A29943EFBC6.png

F61DA77ABCA94993B201303DB0F02C49-0000362688-0003222017-00614L-F36D3863A9BE4A7EBBAEE51B3082375C.png

6. (ii)
    826CFF0FD9004230886A10904340B6D3-0000362688-0003226857-00599L-219A95B80AA04D98BEA7AF61202806C0.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

1. is Tootsie

These were a bit obscure so to help jog the memory, I've added another shot from #6 at the bottom. Once you get that one you should be able to work out #1 based on the clues from before!

6 is Glengarry Glen Ross.
    Is 1 Carlito's Way?

Ryaller wrote: »
    1. is Tootsie

Well done. :)

6 is Glengarry Glen Ross.
    Is 1 Carlito's Way?

Correct on 6, well done.

1 is not Carlito's Way...it doesn't feature Pacino at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

3 there is friends with benefits?

• Advertisement

Miami Blues, starring Alec Baldwin and directed by George Armitage, who went on to direct Grosse Pointe Blank.
    This may not be right, but it does add up with all your clues. The imdb is my friend on this one. :D

scouttio wrote: »
    3 there is friends with benefits?

Yes it is. Well spotted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

2. Eyes Wide Shut

Miami Blues, starring Alec Baldwin and directed by George Armitage, who went on to direct Grosse Pointe Blank.
    This may not be right, but it does add up with all your clues. The imdb is my friend on this one. :D

Correct. Excellent sleuthing!

It is indeed George Armitage's Miami Blues co-starring Fred Ward (who had been posted here in a shot from The Right Stuff a few days ago).
    If you haven't seen this one but liked Grosse Point, you should give it a watch. Dark, occasionally violent....and very funny!!

2. Eyes Wide Shut

Correct - well done.
    Correct. Excellent sleuthing!

It is indeed George Armitage's Miami Blues co-starring Fred Ward (who had been posted here in a shot from The Right Stuff a few days ago).

The initial Glengarry still was annoying the hell out of me, and it took a second shot to make me realise what it was. I've never seen Miami Blues, but Grosse Pointe Blank is a classic. To add insult to injury, I did stumble across Miami Blues as a possible answer several days ago, while conducting some sleuthing based on your initial clues, but I cannot remember for the life of me how I ended up there. It certainly wasn't through the Mamet. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Five down, five to go:
    4.i218544.jpg

6.i059477.jpg

7.i143029.jpg

8.i162688.jpg

9.i009100.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Five down, five to go:

Is 8 All the right moves ?

The initial Glengarry still was annoying the hell out of me, and it took a second shot to make me realise what it was.

It wasn't an easy shot to be fair. But it was about the only one I could get that didn't feature the office and/or any of the main cast :D (which would have been a giveaway)

rednik wrote: »
    Is 8 All the right moves ?

Yes it is - well done.
    It wasn't an easy shot to be fair. But it was about the only one I could get that didn't feature the office and/or any of the main cast :D (which would have been a giveaway)

It was one of those shots that was very familiar to me, but I just couldn't place it.
    Which, I suppose, is the whole challenge of the thread anyway... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

9. Three Days of the Condor

DeepBlue wrote: »
    9. Three Days of the Condor

Correct. Redford's bike outside the American Literary Historical Society. :D

Bit of a random guess....is 6. Chariots of Fire?

Always worth a guess... it is Chariots of Fire. :D

Always worth a guess... it is Chariots of Fire. :D

1920's setting + waving Union Jacks helped narrow it down a bit:)

1920's setting + waving Union Jacks helped narrow it down a bit:)

Yeah, but it doesn't have men in white t-shirts and shorts running along a beach, so it wasn't immediately obvious. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement