Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

brian_t wrote: »
    8. is Shirley MacLaine in The Children's Hour I think.

That's the last one guessed correctly. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I think the one of the waves crashing against the rock is Airplane!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Nope, afraid not.
    I'm getting some very unusual guesses for this one:D

Well, to be fair, it's quite a generic shot and Grease, Haywire and Airplane! all fit the bill.
    It's just that none of them are right... :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

05132011_zpsd2462bd9.jpg

511079_1281265840582_full-e1311344514503_zps10f9365d.jpg

17064_zps79aa5ec0.jpg

vlcsnap-4375121_zps2758ad39.png

i079479_zps90cdca28.jpg

original15666280_zps3cab29d1.jpg

060_list_zps7d5395f6.png

wnso_pic_zpsf55001e4.jpg

Well, to be fair, it's quite a generic shot and Grease, Haywire and Airplane! all fit the bill.
    It's just that none of them are right... :D

I know what you mean, I can certainly see why you thought it was Airplane:)
    As for Grease, well I'll take your word for it. That's not one I go back and watch very often!
    But these guesses are way off in terms of the genre.

Here's a clue: It's a well known Oscar nominated movie from the 90's. One of the main stars was appearing in a successful TV sitcom at the time.

1. The Magnificent Ambersons

6. The Godfather Part III

Zeek12 wrote: »
    1. The Magnificent Ambersons

6. The Godfather Part III

Both correct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

7 is Rebecca.

• Advertisement

Ryaller wrote: »
    7 is Rebecca.

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

And 2 is 10 Things I Hate About You.

Ryaller wrote: »
    And 2 is 10 Things I Hate About You.

Also correct, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Is 8 walkabout?

Is 5. Pleasantville ?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

17064_zps79aa5ec0.jpg
    Strange Days

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Is 8 walkabout?
    Is 5. Pleasantville ?
    SVG wrote: »
    Strange Days

All correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Here's a clue: It's a well known Oscar nominated movie from the 90's. One of the main stars was appearing in a successful TV sitcom at the time.

Based solely on the clue, I'll guess As Good as it Gets??

vlcsnap-4375121_zps2758ad39.png

Just this one left....

• Advertisement

Based solely on the clue, I'll guess As Good as it Gets??

Good guess....but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Good guess....but no.

Okay, then I'll go for Six Degrees of Seperation?? After that, I'm outta ideas!

Nope!

Ok, I'm clutching at straws here, but is it Saving Private Ryan?

Giovanni Ribisi was appearing in Friends around that time!

Another good guess, but no.

Its more obvious than you might realise! The actor in question played one of the main characters in the TV show. The movie and the show pre-date Friends and Saving Private Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Just this one left....

4. The Pink Panther?

• Advertisement

It's Barton Fink!
    John Goodman being the link to the sitcom (Roseanne) and it was up for three Oscars.
    Phew...

Barton Fink?
    John Goodman being the link to the sitcom (Roseanne) and it was up for three Oscars.

Got it! Well done!

The wave splashing against the rock is in the final scene on the beach which appears to bring to life the picture from Fink's grimy hotel room.

Now just one left from this set!
    This is quite a recent movie, released within the last three years. The actor in the shot is a previous winner of the Oscar for Best Actor.
    F4FF44161C7F4818B3687A31B3BCBFDE-0000362688-0003239705-00800L-7B55F153EBEB49E0AA18B83125C3228A.png

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    4. The Pink Panther?

Correct! That's that set done and dusted, well done..

Now just one left from this set!
    This is quite a recent movie, released within the last three years. The actor in the shot is a previous winner of the Oscar for Best Actor.

Adrien Brody in Detachment.

• Advertisement

Adrien Brody in Detachment.

Correct. Well done.

1.171720-BadBeautiful6bis.jpg

2.combawl4.8397.jpg

3.Honeymoon00001.jpg

4.snapshot20080502173641sw9.835.jpg

5.paysage9bfk9.2870.jpg

6.i073917.jpg

7.i198430.jpg

8.i208374.jpg

9.vlcsnap2011050908h16m38.417.jpg

10.235454-Sabrina11bis.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I don't think anyone got this one of mine yet:

9. Crime caper. Probably the least well known film from a very well known director....
    vlcsnap-2013-05-02-20h23m50s177_zps1e28635e.png

2. Anatomy of a Murder

6. The Spy who came in from the cold

9. A Place in the Sun.

10. Sabrina ?

2. Anatomy of a Murder

6. The Spy who came in from the cold

9. A Place in the Sun.

10. Sabrina

All correct. Well done.

Four down, six to go...
    1.171720-BadBeautiful6bis.jpg

3.Honeymoon00001.jpg

4.snapshot20080502173641sw9.835.jpg

5.paysage9bfk9.2870.jpg

7.i198430.jpg

8.i208374.jpg

Wild guess....is no.1 A Star Is Born? (1937 Janet Gaynor version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

Four down, six to go...

1. The Bad and the Beautiful

No. It's later, from the early 1950s. You're obviously on the right track in that it's set in the world of showbusiness, hence the Oscar statuette.
    The film holds the distinction of having won the most Oscars without being nominated for Best Picture.

Edit: while I was typing up the clue, Brian T got it. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

Four down, six to go...

7. Anthony Perkins in The Trial

• Advertisement

Also correct. Well done.

Is 4. Room at the top ?

It certainly is. Well spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Wild guess but In Cold Blood?

3.Honeymoon00001.jpg

5.paysage9bfk9.2870.jpg

8.i208374.jpg

3 is from 1970 exploitation film that has become a cult classic.
    5 is an atypical scene from a 1940 drama that could be seen as a "road movie".
    8 is a 1961 comedy. If you recognise the (Oscar-nominated) actor in the middle, you'll figure it out.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Wild guess but In Cold Blood?

Good guess, but no. I've now posted a clue above, which should help.

I thought some of these might be fun...

1. 228779-DefiantOnes3.jpg

2. TheKingofMarvinGardens2.jpg

3.WitnessProse00005.jpg

4.TheKilling00002.jpg

5.Bananas3.jpg

4. The Killing

Indeed.
    Sterling Hayden + racehorses = The Killing.
    Well done.

• Advertisement

1. The Defiant Ones?

Advertisement