Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

NothingMan wrote: »
    is 8 Full Metal Jacket? Think it looks like the bathroom of the famous scene.

It's not but you're on the right track for the genre of film

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

8. is it Taps?

8. is it Taps?

Nope. It's a more recent film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Jarhead?

NothingMan wrote: »
    Jarhead?

Nope....older than that:)
    One of the main stars was an Oscar winner in the 70s

8. A Few Good Men

8. A Few Good Men

Good try, but no. Its a movie from the late 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Biloxi Blues? (Walken being the 70s Oscar winner).

Biloxi Blues? (Walken being the 70s Oscar winner).

Spot on, well done.
    And this one should help you work out the theme of the set....if you haven't noticed it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I already said they were films based on stage plays.
    Is there more to it?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Advertisement

I already said they were films based on stage plays.
    Is there more to it?

You're not wrong in that. But I'm looking for a more specific answer

... for which the original playwright wrote or co-wrote the screenplay for the film adaptation.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

... for which the original playwright wrote or co-wrote the screenplay for the film adaptation.

Nope, afraid not (actually I had'nt checked that...so you may be right....but in any case that's not the link I had in mind!!)
    But the play is certainly part of the link.

The plays all won the Tony award for Best Play.
    Damn, this link is specific.

The plays all won the Tony award for Best Play.
    Damn, this link is specific.

That's a gold star very well earned! Yes, they were all Tony award winners for Best Play....later adapted for the screen. Well done.

That should make the remaining two a bit easier.
    #2 is from the 80s and one of the lead stars won an Oscar for this film.
    #6 is the film version of a play by a famous Irish playwright

Capture5_zps2f2742ed.png

Capture6_zps40b8f8da.png

Children of a Lesser God
    Da

Children of a Lesser God
    Da

#2 Correct
    #6 Wrong

6. Dancing at Lughnasa

6. Dancing at Lughnasa

Yes, well done.
    That completes the set.

• Advertisement

1.i399949.jpg

2.i225225.jpg

3.i340500.jpg

4.i065059.jpg

5.i550827.jpg

6.wir00rc7.5065.jpg

7.i011430.jpg

8.i385302.jpg

9.combek.4854.jpg

10.i029346.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

6.wir00rc7.5065.jpg

Is that Kelly LeBrock? Weird Science?

Opps actually its The Women In Red

Yes, it is (literally) The Woman in Red. :)

8. Nashville

3. Norma Rae

7. Is it Vertigo ?

10 Wonder Boys ?

Nashville is right. Well done.
    It's not Vertigo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

4. The Pleasure of His Company?
    5. Dog Soldiers?

• Advertisement

Nashville is right. Well done.
    It's not Vertigo.

Just added a few more guesses in my last post

Zeek12 wrote: »
    3. Norma Rae
    10 Wonder Boys

Both correct. Well done.
    Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    4. The Pleasure of His Company?
    5. Dog Soldiers?

Neither, I'm afraid. It's the same city as The Pleasure of His Company, but it's from the mid-seventies.
    Dog Soldiers is an inspired guess, but regrettably not right. It's a much better known film.

And the answers given so far might point someone towards the link, which will enable some further deduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dog Soldiers is an inspired guess, but regrettably not right. It's a much better known film.

is it Skyfall?

It certainly is! Well done.
    That hopefully should provide a further clue too, based on the answers already given. :)

It certainly is! Well done.
    That hopefully should provide a further clue too, based on the answers already given. :)

yeah I have the link now alright

• Advertisement

4. The Towering Inferno

Correct. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

1. The Thomas Crown Affair

7. The Man who knew too much?

2 The Joker is Wild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

9. Days of Wine and Roses

nucker wrote: »
    1. The Thomas Crown Affair
    Zeek12 wrote: »
    7. The Man who knew too much?

Both correct!
    Riskymove wrote: »
    2 The Joker is Wild

Inspired logic, but just a couple of years out.

9. Days of Wine and Roses

Correct. Well done!

2. A Hole in the Head

Very well done.
    And that's the lot, I think.
    As you've all probably deduced, they all won the Oscar for Best Original Song. Some are naturally more well-known than others, but I figured if I put a few in whose songs are significantly associated with the film (The Thomas Crown Affair, The Woman in Red, Skyfall), that might set it up nicely for some detective work. You wouldn't necessarily associate some of them with having won Oscars in that particular category:

1. The Thomas Crown Affair – Windmills of Your Mind
    2. Hole in the Head – High Hopes
    3. Norma Rae – It Goes Like It Goes
    4. The Towering Inferno – We May Never Love Like This Again
    5. Skyfall - Skyfall
    6. The Woman in Red – I Just Called to Say I Love You
    7. The Man Who Knew Too Much – Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera Sera)
    8. Nashville – I’m Easy
    9. Days of Wine and Roses – Days of Wine and Roses
    10. Wonder Boys – Things Have Changed

• Advertisement

As you've all probably deduced, they all won the Oscar for Best Original Song.

Scanning through the winners is certainly interesting

great films with very memorable tunes

other not so great films where, as you say, you probably wouldn't even connect it to the song (I just called to say I love you? never would have connected it toa film)

also, a lot of disney in recent years

also how else would Phil Collins get Oscar nominations?

He's been up a few times, hasn't he?
    Against All Odds, Buster and eventually winning for Tarzan.

I remember a guy I knew ruefully remarking in the mid-nineties that Prince had an Oscar (for Best Original Song Score) and Martin Scorsese didn't.

A quick one:

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h21m48s72_zpsb283e916.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h14m37s113_zps0984859a.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h19m43s115_zpsa67946ed.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h06m33s163_zps93af25f7.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h05m10s96_zps1267a096.jpg

1. Micmacs
    2. Welcome to the Sticks/Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis
    3. Nothing to Declare/Rien a Declarer

It's a Boonfest! :D

1. Micmacs
    2. Welcome to the Sticks/Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis
    3. Nothing to Declare/Rien a Declarer

It's a Boonfest! :D

Yep. That's the best I could do for a connection!

The remaining 2 are unrelated to these.

A quick one:

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h06m33s163_zps93af25f7.jpg

The Final Countdown

Love that movie

Theta wrote: »
    The Final Countdown

Love that movie

Yep. Just this one left:

vlcsnap-2013-06-06-20h05m10s96_zps1267a096.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

5. Time Bandits?

Wild guess....

Barna77 wrote: »
    5. Time Bandits?

Wild guess....

No, it's more obscure than that. It was made in a country that doesn't exist anymore!

• Advertisement

No, it's more obscure than that. It was made in a country that doesn't exist anymore!

Looking through films of the Soviet Union isnt as fun as I thought.

Advertisement