Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess The Screenshot (Mobile Data Unfriendly)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

However, it's always been the case that if an actor or actress is recognisable in an image, or if there have been some clues (or a link), then there's nothing wrong with general Google detective work.

I've done this a few times. Most of the images posted I draw a complete blank on, but when you see one with an image of a place or person and you can't quite put your finger on it, it's infuriating! Checking imdb for that person's filmography or maybe films set in a certain place can remind you. I think that's fine, but googling the image name is pointless.

Most fun for me is posting or guessing some obscure screenshots from films that are well known. Hiding the lead actor just out of shot etc (the King of Comedy one a while back was a good example).

With one exception, all of my screenshots are taken from my own DVDs (have them all ripped one a HDD media player, which makes it easy), so the exact images wouldn't necessarily exist on the internet. Does this make them immune to googling? I am not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    With one exception, all of my screenshots are taken from my own DVDs (have them all ripped one a HDD media player, which makes it easy), so the exact images wouldn't necessarily exist on the internet. Does this make them immune to googling? I am not sure.

I think it might, but I'm useless when it comes to this type of thing. :p

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Iron Maiden, Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Ok, I'm glad that general googling is allowed because I've felt like a complete film idiot compared to others here when I'm usually the "film guy". I'll be doing some detective style googling now.

I don't think anyone should stop posting because someone could cheat, I think everyone should have the benefit of the doubt. I was thinking I'd love to take Netflix screenshots in the hope it would be chea proof but not possible in work.

Anyway, back to screnshots, sure it's why we're all here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I've done this a few times. Most of the images posted I draw a complete blank on, but when you see one with an image of a place or person and you can't quite put your finger on it, it's infuriating! Checking imdb for that person's filmography or maybe films set in a certain place can remind you. I think that's fine, but googling the image name is pointless.

yeah, same here

I have googled to track down the answer given clues or who/what's in the picture etc

I had no idea you could simply google the image itself

Have I inadvertantly given people a way to cheat they didn't previously know about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Must admit I'm a bit lost here. So are you saying there's a website that actually pinpoints exact shots...how does that work exactly? I have occasionally done some googling to confirm a hunch I might have about a shot, but even then its a bit of a random search and may not yield anything at all

You can google an image and it searches the look of the picture and gives back similar pictures. Or more often than not the exact pic on other websites like imdb with the title and even the name of the actor or character. It's pretty spot on and impressive.

That's never happened for me. What do you mean by googling an image exactly? I might Google particular actors or google on a clue that was given but I've never been served up an answer like that. It usually involves more searching and referencing Imdb

Zeek12 wrote: »
    That's never happened for me. What do you mean by googling an image exactly? I might Google particular actors or google on a clue that was given but I've never been served up an answer like that. It usually involves more searching and referencing Imdb

I feel like I'm giving the game away but this is a handy function for some scenarios in real life too.

Copy the image URL into google, it will return some random results or none but give you the option to Search the Image instead. Then it searches the look of the image and not the URL.

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    I feel like I'm giving the game away but this is a handy function for some scenarios in real life too.

Copy the image URL into google, it will return some random results or none but give you the option to Search the Image instead. Then it searches the look of the image and not the URL.

Right, never knew about that. Wouldn't use it either tbh...it would take the fun out of it! Does this also work even if we've created our own images and haven't taken images already online?

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Right, never knew about that. Wouldn't use it either tbh...it would take the fun out of it! Does this also work even if we've created our own images and haven't taken images already online?

I don't know. I checked and it found all of IMCDB and most photobucket stuff. I would say if you take your won screenshots then you should be safe but it sometimes recognises objects or poeple so it's possible.

Might be better if we create our own images then....or else use the " honour system" and ask that only general googling on actors or clues etc. be used. Not much fun to the game otherwise:)

You can google an image and it searches the look of the picture and gives back similar pictures. Or more often than not the exact pic on other websites like imdb with the title and even the name of the actor or character. It's pretty spot on and impressive.

Janey Mac :eek: I didn't know you could do that. I thought the idea was to google the filename of the picture to see if it was taken from a website.

Have I inadvertantly given people a way to cheat they didn't previously know about?

It certainly appears so. :(:mad::D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Cat well and truly out of the bag!

Still, I reckon most people will ignore it.....like I said, not much fun to the game if there isn't a challenge, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

One solution would be to take your own screenshots rather than just posting ones you find online. Not ideal for a number of reasons of course, but it's how I've seen it done in similar threads on other forums.

That's what I've done for the vast majority of mine....and most still get spotted pretty quickly! The movie knowledge on this thread is very strong....I think we may be overstating the occurence of too much Google help

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Any I have found have been through searching IMDB, search engines etc, memory or guesses (as you will have seen from the number of times I have been wrong) or I just havent even attepted some at all. I just picked an Uma Thurman pic at random that I didnt know from an earlier batch and was stunned to see this google images search identify it within milliseconds.

Even one of the really really obscure ones I 'photobucketed' appears immediately.

Bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DeepBlue wrote: »
    nfZGwlX.png
    Reposting this one from a couple of months ago that no-one got.

Clue: The female character (one of the two main characters in the film) with her back to us in the centre of the frame was married to the director at the time.

Is it House of games?

Seem to remember Crouse and Mamet were married

• Advertisement

Yep. Mamet seems to cast his wives in his movies. I guess he's whipped. :pac:

I'm surprised it wasn't got the first time around although I suppose Crouse wasn't particularly distinct in that screenshot.

Don't want to drag this thread completely off topic, but I just had a thought: If I take a picture of myself, can I google that to see if there's anyone else out there that looks like me :D. Taking the "google your own name" to the next level!

Don't want to drag this thread completely off topic, but I just had a thought: If I take a picture of myself, can I google that to see if there's anyone else out there that looks like me :D. Taking the "google your own name" to the next level!

You probably can, although you may not like the results :pac:.

You probably can, although you may not like the results :pac:.

Yeah, at the moment I am the only person who doesn't have to look at my ugly mug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

That's why I've been kinda doubting some answers. I have googled some when its annoyed me but not posted the answers. I noticed on one set the only one that took ages to get was the only one google couldn't recognise. A little suspicious really.

Nah, I'm 150 million percent certain nobody's cheating here. :pac: It's just pure coincidence that every single question/pix I posted here that gave hits on google images was correctly guessed without clues and the few I posted that I never got a correct answer to .... also gave zero matches on google images. :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_mobc3ysRAH1qz90kro1_500.png

Shouldn't be too difficult:

5AiRxNO.png

y5JLjpc.png

djJ47sE.png

QZ17KsG.png

yC588AL.png

xYx8Tup.png

Is 3. Headhunters?

Is 3. Headhunters?
    Yes, Good work. I thought that might be the most tricky one.

Yes, Good work. I thought that might be the most tricky one.

That whole scene was quite memorable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

4. Man of Steel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

5. Dawn of the Dead (2004) ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

4=Rust and Bone ?

nucker wrote: »
    4. Man of Steel?
    Sorry, no.
    5. Dawn of the Dead (2004) ?
    Correct. :)
    ASJ112 wrote: »
    4=Rust and Bone ?
    Correct. Well done. I think that was the only ungoogle-able pic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

6 is Chronicle. Great opening shot.

robvondoom wrote: »
    6 is Chronicle. Great opening shot.
    Correct. I only noticed the prophetic sketch by the mirror now.

So just 2 left.
    5AiRxNO.png

y5JLjpc.png

1. Unforgiven
    2. The Reader

1. Unforgiven
    No, although I can see why you'd think that. This film is a few decades older.

Not The Reader either, sorry.

Lawrence of Arabia?

• Advertisement

Lawrence of Arabia?
    Yes, 1 is Lawrence of Arabia. :)

Yes, 1 is Lawrence of Arabia. :)

:eek: Random guess at old deserty type film. I'm shocked that was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

e_e wrote: »
    tumblr_mobc3ysRAH1qz90kro1_500.png

Surprised that this lasted long enough for me to have a crack at.

Is it A Scene at the Sea by Takeshi Kitano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

4. Incendies

I was going to do a set of pictures on trains, but decided to check them all against Google first and was surprised how many the search found correctly (even though these are all screenshots pulled from DVDs). So I dumped the ones Google could match and added some more random ones. All are "clean" in Google :D but not necessarily that difficult anyway....

I think I am starting to get paranoid :(

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h57m51s67_zpsf3369f6e.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-22h01m36s246_zpse93b778b.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h33m53s39_zps5b714629.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h35m14s70_zps1d74ffcb.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h38m58s252_zpsc04a02ab.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h26m36s57_zps5d41192f.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h28m09s177_zps80bc0465.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h24m21s154_zps90f40910.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h30m51s241_zps5c78b983.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-13-21h20m54s123_zps1cb0e0f8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

7. Emperor of the North Pole
    10. Brubaker

• Advertisement

rednik wrote: »
    7. Emperor of the North Pole
    10. Brubaker

yep
    1. ???
    2. ???
    3. ???
    4. ???
    5. ???
    6. ???
    7. Emperor of the North
    8. ???
    9. ???
    10. Brubaker

4 is Klute
    5 is Narrow Margin
    6 is The Natural

4 is Klute
    5 is Narrow Margin
    6 is The Natural

4 and 5 are correct
    6 is not The Natural
    1. ???
    2. ???
    3. ???
    4. Klute
    5. Narrow Margin
    6. ???
    7. Emperor of the North
    8. ???
    9. ???
    10. Brubaker

4 and 5 are correct
    6 is not The Natural

Is 6 Eight Men Out? I was sure it was The Natural, 'cos it has the "look" of it, but seeing it again, it looks like John Sayles in the shot.

2 is The Ghost and the Darkness. Val Kilmer on the right.

Is 3 Donnie Darko?

• Advertisement
Advertisement