Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

27 year old returning from Oz

Options
  • 31-05-2010 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've been in Australia for nearly 2 years and my visa is up so I'll be home in the next 2 months.

As there are no jobs at home, so I'm told, what better use of my time is there than upskilling!

So, I came on here in the hope that someone can give me advice on obtaining a grant. I will be unable to study without some form of assistance.

So heres my details:
    I already have a diploma/ordinary degree (level 6).
    Looking to apply for advanced entry into the final year of a Bachelors (Bsc level 7.
    I've never applied for the grant before.
    I'm 27.

There's 2 courses i'm applying for, directly to admissions office, not through CAO. One of them is my local IT, so i'll be living at home if I get that one.
    The other is about 100 miles away so I'll have to move and get accommodation there.
    Would it make a difference which college i went to? I know mature students get the non-adjacent grant no matter where they live.

I wont be starting from 1st year in either course, i'll be jumping into either the 3rd yr of the local or 4th year of the non-local one. With the grant, can you get it for just one year or do you need to be doing a minimum of 2 years in college?

And also, would I be better off living with the parents or moving out, in terms of financial assistance? I could possibly move in with my girlfriend, but thats relying on her being able to get a job in Dublin which pays enough to support us both! I'd still need the grant then and If she cant get a job, she'll be moving back home anyway so that's not the greatest plan to be relying on.
    But the reason I mentioned her is that I know I'd be a mature dependant if i was at home, then the grant would pay X amount, but if i live with her as a mature independant, does it go up to X+Y? ie do you get more if you're independant?

I'm in Australia at the moment so cant pay a visit to any local offices, unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I reckon you could be too late to apply for for the academic year 2010/2011 as a mature student at this stage considering tomorrow is the start of June. CAO deadline for matures was 1st February. First thing you should do is call the colleges you wish to attend and find out if there is still time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 islandgirl

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling you wouldn't be eligible for a grant anyway. I am returning to Ireland to do a Master's this year and have looked into it, and I am pretty sure that grants (as well as all other forms of social assistance) are only available once you have been back resident in the country for a year or so. :( The info is online somewhere, can look it up for you if you can't find it.

islandgirl wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I have a feeling you wouldn't be eligible for a grant anyway. I am returning to Ireland to do a Master's this year and have looked into it, and I am pretty sure that grants (as well as all other forms of social assistance) are only available once you have been back resident in the country for a year or so. :( The info is online somewhere, can look it up for you if you can't find it.

I read that a person must be resident in the state for a minimum of 3 of the past 5 years to be eligible. Also resident in an EU state for 3 of the past 5 years counts but you will not get the full grant if that is the case. The application form for the grant is a minefield and in my opinion is designed to deter people from applying. They literally want to know your life story and all financial details about you ie: savings, investments, wages, pension, state benefits and gifts or inheritances and this also applies to your parents if still living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

redout, I am applying directly. I've already been in touch with both colleges and both of them said its not too late. In fact, I've already applied for the local IT, so the application date is not the problem.

The issue is whether or not they will offer me the grant even though I've already done a diploma (renamed to ordinary degree). And if so, would I be better off living at home or moving out, in terms of grant level.

One more thing, in the worst case scenario that I actually fail the year, I'm assuming nobody is entitled to the grant for a repeat, regardless of whether you received it before or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

The_B_Man wrote: »
    redout, I am applying directly. I've already been in touch with both colleges and both of them said its not too late. In fact, I've already applied for the local IT, so the application date is not the problem.

The issue is whether or not they will offer me the grant even though I've already done a diploma (renamed to ordinary degree). And if so, would I be better off living at home or moving out, in terms of grant level.

One more thing, in the worst case scenario that I actually fail the year, I'm assuming nobody is entitled to the grant for a repear, regardless of whether you received it before or not?

deffo not on the latter count

• Advertisement

From here:
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/he_tlt_scheme.pdf?language=EN
    This scheme applies to: those who require higher level initial education and training to enhance their employment prospects in line with the Government's sectoral employment priorities and who are entering approved Middle Level Technician (M.L.T) or Higher Technical and Business Skills (H.T.B.S.) courses for the first time in the 2010/11 academic year or mature candidates re-entering in order to complete such a course.

Candidates are ineligible if:
    • they already hold an Honours Bachelor Degree or equivalent Level 8 qualification;
    • they have completed more than the first year of an Honours Bachelor Degree or equivalent Level 8 course;
    • they are pursuing a Level 8 Honours Bachelor Degree course

check. Have level 7.
    "re-entering" means entering as a mature candidate following a break of at least three years and having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardian, and having previously attended a course approved for the purposes of the Third Level Maintenance Grants Scheme for Trainees [TLT].

Check - i think its 4 years since i i left actually.
    Also, I've lived in Ireland for "3 of the past 5 years".
    5.4.3 In the case of a candidate other than an independent mature candidate, the candidate's reckonable income shall be that of the candidate and of the candidate's parents or legal guardian, except where the candidate's parents are divorced, legally separated or it is established to the satisfaction of the Vocational Education Committee that they are separated, in which case, the candidate's reckonable income shall be that of the candidate and of the parent with whom the candidate resides. [Note: See Section D of the Guidance Notes for criteria applied by the Vocational Education Committee in establishing separation.]

5.4.4 In the case of an independent mature candidate, the reckonable income shall be that of the candidate and his/her spouse, if applicable

Heres the tricky part. When I move home in 6 weeks, I'll either be moving back home, or moving with my gf into the spare room of her friends apartment. Depending on which path I take, it will affect my grant (assuming I can get it).

The first scenario, if I become a sponge, means I can possibly get away with no part-time the job. The second means I'll need one to pay rent etc.
    In terms of being means tested:
    Reckonable Income Limits for the ordinary rates of grant *
    for the period 1 January, 2009 to 31 December, 2009 (the tax year 2009)

Number of
    Depen child | Full   | Part(75%)| Part(50%)| Part(25%)| Full Fees Only (Charge for Student Services & Registration)
    Less than 4 | €41,110 | €42,235 | €44,720 | €47,205 | €51,380
    4 – 7       | €45,165 | €46,415 | €49,145 | €51,880 | €56,460
    8 or more   | €49,045 | €50,400 | €53,360 | €56,320 | €61,295

Well, I've no kids and we defo wont be earning over 40k, let alone over 50k! My parents would though.
    I should point out as well I have never applied for the grant ever.

crikey! Just got an email back saying that coz I was not living in the country on 1st October 2009, then i am classed as mature dependant, and will be assessed on my income and my parents! I wont qualify for the grant if this is the case!

Can anyone confirm this? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

crikey! Just got an email back saying that coz I was not living in the country on 1st October 2009, then i am classed as mature dependant, and will be assessed on my income and my parents! I wont qualify for the grant if this is the case!

Can anyone confirm this? :(

But how can you be dependant on your parents if you didn't live in the country? It doesn't make sense.

They do try their best to put you off applying for a grant. I would still apply anyway. If you do move home, if your parents earn enough you definitely won't get a grant.

I'm definately moving back to Ireland, and initially I'll definately be living at home. I didnt qualify for the grant before so doubt I'll qualify now.

Pain in the arse. What about Jobseekers Allowancem, or the dole? If I havent lived in Ireland for nearly 2 years can I apply for that? Even if I'm living at home, I really dont wanna be dependant on my parents giving me "pocket money"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm definately moving back to Ireland, and initially I'll definately be living at home. I didnt qualify for the grant before so doubt I'll qualify now.

Pain in the arse. What about Jobseekers Allowancem, or the dole? If I havent lived in Ireland for nearly 2 years can I apply for that? Even if I'm living at home, I really dont wanna be dependant on my parents giving me "pocket money"!!

Yes, you will be entitled to the dole. Make sure you have evidence of your return date. I used my airline ticket stub!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance but you may not receive this payment while studying as the condition of receipt is that you are actively seeking work. The payment you need to be eligible for is the BTEA, Back to Education Allowance.

Eligiblity criteria here.
    3. How do I qualify for BTEA?
    The BTEA is for a wide range of people who might want to return to education, so people qualify in different ways, depending on their age and personal situation.

One way to qualify for BTEA is if you have claimed Illness Benefit for two years or more (from September 2007).

Another way to qualify is if you:

are aged at least 21, or
    are aged at least 24 if you want to do postgraduate study, and
    getting one of the following for at least,
    3 months (78 days) for the Second Level Option
    12 months (312 days) for the Third Level Option (See following Note on 9 month condition)
    Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit (formerly known as Unemployment Assistance or Benefit),
    Farm Assist,
    One-Parent Family Payment,
    Deserted Wife's Allowance or Benefit,
    Widow's or Widower's Contributory or Non-Contributory Pension,
    Prisoner's Wife's Allowance, or
    Carer's Allowance
    You can also qualify for BTEA if you:

are aged at least 18, or
    12 months (312 days) for the Third Level Option
    Blind Pension,
    Disability Allowance,
    Invalidity Pension, or
    Incapacity Supplement (formerly known as Unemployability Supplement) (based on a life Disablement Pension)
    You can also qualify for BTEA if you:

are aged at least 21, or
    12 months (312 days) for the Third Level Option
    Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit, or
    One-Parent Family Payment.
    If you have been awarded Statutory Redundancy, you may access the BTEA Scheme. However, you must first establish an entitlement to a Social Welfare payment, before starting an approved course of study.
    http://www.welfare.ie

To boil it down you you need to be getting Jobseekers for a minimum of 9 months before being eligible for the BTEA to do a college, IT or Uni course unless you are entitled to statutory redundancy in which case you can access BTEA with no waiting period.

EDIT: FETAC level 5/6 courses are classified as second level so the waiting period is 3 months instead of 9-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Balls to that! I'm in almost the same boat, living in Oz the last year and a half having applied to college at home. Was hoping on getting the grant or some grant. Noticed they changed the grant form and was hopeful over the living at home for 3 out of the last 5 years. If it means I'll be classed as dependent even though I haven't lived at home I won't get anything.

They sure don't make it easy (or logical at that) :confused:

I rang them last night.
    They said they'd look at it again and get a second opinion and then ring me back.
    Never got the call back! :(

Hopin they'll ring me on monday with confirmation else i'll be ringin again tuesday til i get an answer.

EDIT: So, am i eligible for the dole then? How much is that a week?

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance but you may not receive this payment while studying as the condition of receipt is that you are actively seeking work. The payment you need to be eligible for is the BTEA, Back to Education Allowance.

Eligiblity criteria here.

http://www.welfare.ie

To boil it down you you need to be getting Jobseekers for a minimum of 9 months before being eligible for the BTEA to do a college, IT or Uni course unless you are entitled to statutory redundancy in which case you can access BTEA with no waiting period.

EDIT: FETAC level 5/6 courses are classified as second level so the waiting period is 3 months instead of 9-12.

Jobseekers allowance will be cut off if you start college. 100% certain on that as I only enquired about that this past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wired101

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a query myself. I only got back from Oz there in April. I've been very lucky, in the sense that I managed to get work straight away with my old job. I'm working 3 days a week, with the possibility of it being extended to full time eventually. Cos I'm only working the 3 days a week, i am entitled to the jobseekers benefit, which I am claiming at the moment.

I also would like to go back to college. The course I want to do is a part time one, and its on par with a FETAC one, so it wud be considered a second level course, I would assume? Basically its a fully comp make up artistry course and lasts for 5 months. Its quiet expensive tho. :( So I'm wondering if I'm eligible to get the full course paid for? Or some money towards it? I did find a form that needs to be filled out, and sent it in to my local social welfare office, but havent heard anything yet?

Can someone please advise where I can go from here? who I can email or speak to about this further? Or wat I might be entitled too?? I would be very grateful

B man: The full jobseekers allowance is €196 a week, which is the full dole. And the jobseekers benefit is €98 a week if you work 3 days a week.

wired101 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a bit of a query myself. I only got back from Oz there in April. I've been very lucky, in the sense that I managed to get work straight away with my old job. I'm working 3 days a week, with the possibility of it being extended to full time eventually. Cos I'm only working the 3 days a week, i am entitled to the jobseekers benefit, which I am claiming at the moment.

I also would like to go back to college. The course I want to do is a part time one, and its on par with a FETAC one, so it wud be considered a second level course, I would assume? Basically its a fully comp make up artistry course and lasts for 5 months. Its quiet expensive tho. :( So I'm wondering if I'm eligible to get the full course paid for? Or some money towards it? I did find a form that needs to be filled out, and sent it in to my local social welfare office, but havent heard anything yet?

Can someone please advise where I can go from here? who I can email or speak to about this further? Or wat I might be entitled too?? I would be very grateful

B man: The full jobseekers allowance is €196 a week, which is the full dole. And the jobseekers benefit is €98 a week if you work 3 days a week.

Best thing to do is go to your local social welfare office. No appointment needed as they have an info desk. Just tell the person your situation and they will tell you what you are entitled to there and then. If only doing a part-time course you might be entitled to jobseekers though I am not 100%. I can tell you that if it is a fulltime course then you are not allowed to claim jobseekers allowance as you are classed as not being actively seeking or available for work. If you done a college course inside the past five years and had fee's paid for by the state then I do not think the state will pay for you again. Check the student finance website and call the institution you are looking to attend as they should know if you qualify once you tell about your past courses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

redout wrote: »
    Jobseekers allowance will be cut off if you start college. 100% certain on that as I only enquired about that this past week.

Thats what I said...:)
    Best thing to do is go to your local social welfare office. No appointment needed as they have an info desk. Just tell the person your situation and they will tell you what you are entitled to there and then. If only doing a part-time course you might be entitled to jobseekers though I am not 100%. I can tell you that if it is a fulltime course then you are not allowed to claim jobseekers allowance as you are classed as not being actively seeking or available for work.

If you are doing a part-time course, (especailly if its a BTEI course) you can retain your Jobseekers.

Also in this category are the Labour Market Activation Courses / Schemes which are available to people in receipt of DSP payments. Check these on the qualifax website http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=258:lma-pointers&catid=76&Itemid=164

If you are doing a full-time course then you have to be eligible for BTEA, Back to Education Allowance. The qualification criteria for this payment for Uni/ College or Inst of Tech courses is that you have been in receipt of Jobseekers (or a number of other DSP payments) for a minimum of 12 months before applying to college. This waiting period drops to 9 months if a DSP Job Facilitator recommends you apply for college.

It drops to 3 months if you are looking at doing a FETAC level 3,4,5 or 6 or a Junior / Leaving Cert in and Adult Education Centre.

The waiting period drops to nothing if you are eligible for statutory redundancy, i.e. can produce a RP50 however in this case you must first establish an entitlement to Jobseekers or any other DSP payment before applying for BTEA.

Redout is correct re Jobseekers; its not generally permissible to retain a Jobseekers payment, either JSA or JSB, and attend a full-time course as you are given JS on the understanding that you are available for /actively seeking work.
    If you done a college course inside the past five years and had fee's paid for by the state then I do not think the state will pay for you again. Check the student finance website and call the institution you are looking to attend as they should know if you qualify once you tell about your past courses etc.

If you started but did not complete a third level course more than five years ago then your free fees entitlement may still be applicable. You can check if it is with the 'Financial Assistance in Further & Higher Education Section' of the DES in Tullamore. Tel : 057 9325317.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement