Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular Team Tournaments?

Options
  • 31-05-2010 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Okay , for those not there on Saturday, it wasn't all negative.

We ran a team tournament instead. Random teams chosen, fiver in. All held on one machine. For the 1st time ever, we got direct recording of the entire thing. As well as the doom cam recording the players and crowd.
    I shall be putting the entire thing together and uploading during the week.

Now this little event turned out to be really great fun. I had a blast despite playing horrible and getting knocked out early and letting down my teammate.:o
    Speedboat became the legendary giant killer and made for some very entertaining matches to watch.
    It was just a really good buzz I must say and everyone agreed that they'd love to do it again.

So I'm putting forth the questions to the community. Would you like to have a regular team tournament , maybe.... once a month in between the inferno's?

All aspects of this are up for debate :

date, pricing, console, etc etc although I think a fiver and keeping it to 1 console works well.

2ndly we need a name. So I'm looking for all suggestions for name as I'll need one for editing these vids!

So please everyone I'd love to hear input on this. :D

**edit**

I'd also like to give a shout out to Terry for helping me with the direct recording, couldn't have got it going without yea m8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Definitely up for this, I vote for a fiver per person in, doesn't bother me what console it's run on though I agree it should be kept to one machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Also yeah the fact that it was random teams kinda worked nicely , keeps it more light hearted new player friendly - where anything can happen.

We don't necessarily have to run it on a Saturday, might be something that could work on a Sunday or Wednesday too - not saying we should deffo do this, just saying its worth discussion.

It can be more of a flexible kinda thing.

These things really are great fun, I was on the edge of my seat watching sairus (my teammate) and speedboats fight , it makes an atmosphere for the spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm glad I got to see the tail-end of it, Speedboat repping Abel and beating those OTHER top-tier whores! :D

I don't really like the idea of random teams every time

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I really, really enjoyed Saturday is the funny thing!

The ending to my and speedboats match must be awesome, that's twice he's ruined my day :)

My only concern would be overkill with the SF tournaments. Especially as kneecap wants to run a league.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I don't really like the idea of random teams every time

Well thats up for debate of course but everyone there at the time thought it worked out nicely.

How would we go about doing a non random one anyway?

I really, really enjoyed Saturday is the funny thing!

The ending to my and speedboats match must be awesome, that's twice he's ruined my day :)

My only concern would be overkill with the SF tournaments. Especially as kneecap wants to run a league.

Yeah was thinking that when I saw kneecaps thread , something to discuss alright too. Before kneecaps posted that , the talk of the day was to just to have inferno and this once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Sisko wrote: »
    I had a blast despite playing horrible and getting knocked out early and letting down my teammate.
    Someday I may be able forgive you.

However, I agree. Even being knocked out in the first round, it was a great event.

I dont know how it'd be possible to slot these in along with the Infernos and the new League without oversaturating the scene with XGC tourneys though.
    Maybe not have these as a regular event and just stick one on whenever there's a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im easily in for this, pity I wasnt there on Saturday.... Will be there next saturday though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Don't forget DoC! I want to get that established.

I think it's too much, we already have a regular SSF4 tournament in Inferno. The team tournaments are good crack but I think they are best off as a random event depending on numbers etc rather than being an established event.

I would also be against an established team tournament being random teams. That's fine when it's just something that's done on the day but if you say we have a team tournament on the second week of the month and advertise it, random teams doesn't cut it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Could we kill two birds with one stone and make DoC a team tournament from now on?

• Advertisement

Fair enough but I'd foresee problems with non random teams...

but I'd deffo wanna see more of these, maybe no so regular I guess.

Irregular team tournaments might be better alright , again not always having to take place on a saturday etc etc

Can the anti random people give more info on why they'd be against it and how set teams would work? I notice the anti random teams are people who missed the event , maybe yeas need to have been there :p

Also , guys, either way, we still have one done and dusted and recored. I need a name for it! Help!!!:pac:
    Could we kill two birds with one stone and make DoC a team tournament from now on?

Well personally I'd rather the team tourney to be a super sf4 thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Would you like to have a regular team tournament , maybe.... once a month in between the inferno's?

I'd also like to give a shout out to Terry for helping me with the direct recording, couldn't have got it going without yea m8.

Whether not this goes through as a regular event i think it should be named after the winners of the inaugural event! So it should be called the "AzzamaX" tournament :P

Even though i carried the team but you know, you have to give azza a mention for being there.

I'm really glad we could test the recording and am looking forward to the vids but i've also been thinking about an alternative. Since we ended up playing in standard def anyway, it might be less laggy to go into a DVD recorder and then scart output to tv. This is what i did in my original recording in the direct feed thread and if i remember correctly, it would have been a bit less sluggish than saturdays setup. I might post more info in an update to the direct feed thread.

Sisko, I was at the first team tournament, I was involved in organising the first team tournament so I know how much of a laugh they can be.

However if you try to make it a regular event, then you might get people travelling specifically to enter the team tournament. What do you do then?

Also it's too much SSFIV imo. I've no problem making some of the DoC games team tournaments but from the first one, it looks like they won't get enough interest to make it worthwhile.

I would say keep it random in and of itself. Any casuals where there is a good number of people then try and run it but I think it's not the time for a regular team tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I dont think these should be a regular 'event'. They are great fun and open up a different side to the game.

But we are organising and scheduling a lot of stuff at the moment and I think something like this should be left to an impromtu suggestion at casuals, numbers permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I'm up for any team based tournaments. Count me in. Either established or random teams. Adds to the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

This sounds good, my only problem is playing xbox because its a major handicap for me as I'm terrible on the PS1/2 pad. Its just not the same. I think I'll be better using a standard xbox pad tbh.

Don't worry hound I'd push for this to be on PS3 , it makes far more sense to do it on that unless cobelcog turns up.

Orim wrote: »
    Sisko, I was at the first team tournament, I was involved in organising the first team tournament so I know how much of a laugh they can be.

Ah but how do you know the one you were at was as fun as this one eh? EH? :p :pac:

Was it random and on a single machine?

However if you try to make it a regular event, then you might get people travelling specifically to enter the team tournament. What do you do then?

Eh... play the team tournament? I don't see the problem :confused:
    Also it's too much SSFIV imo.

I'm not gonna force people to play a game they don't wanna play and I also don't think we should disallow events for a game people do wanna play just cause it's played too much for some peoples tastes. :confused:

The tournament was random teams and on a single machine.

It was also single elim if that makes a difference.

People travel to team tournaments in a team. They will will want to play together. Do you break them up or do you allow them to play together? If you allow them to play together, what if other people want to play together?

Tournaments tend to take over on the day they are on regardless of how many machines they are on. With regular team tournaments that will be the third SSF4 tournament/event and that is too much imo.

I have pushed for more team tournaments in the past but I don't think they should be a regular, planned event. They work just fine as once in a while event at casuals that have the numbers to sustain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Teams of 3, only one instance of each charcter per team.

do it in a pub!

Can the anti random people give more info on why they'd be against it and how set teams would work? I notice the anti random teams are people who missed the event , maybe yeas need to have been there :p

I don't even understand why this needs to be explained, and agree with what Orim said. Random teams are fine if it's just an on-the-spot thing but if you're running a regular teams tourney there's no reason for people not to be allowed to pick their teammate. I'm sure people who show up and don't have one sorted will be happy to team with each other on the day anyway.

• Advertisement

People travel to team tournaments in a team. They will will want to play together. Do you break them up or do you allow them to play together? If you allow them to play together, what if other people want to play together?

Eh , no like if it was a random team tourney event, obviously it'd be advertised as so , so they'd know well in advance that their teammate will be randomly chosen.

Just for clarity I'm not putting this forward as 'my' idea , we ran that event, everyone loved it and everyone thought it'd be great to do another, I have vids recorded so I'm looking for a name for the event thus I made the thread.

Eh , no like if it was a random team tourney event, obviously it'd be advertised as so , so they'd know well in advance that their teammate will be randomly chosen.

Just for clarity I'm not putting this forward as 'my' idea , we ran that event, everyone loved it and everyone thought it'd be great to do another, I have vids recorded so I'm looking for a name for the event thus I made the thread.

People selectively read and I would bet that at a team tournament at least one pre-made team would turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Sisko you jerk i can't play on ps3 pad what now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

The Hound wrote: »
    This sounds good, my only problem is playing xbox because its a major handicap for me as I'm terrible on the PS1/2 pad. Its just not the same. I think I'll be better using a standard xbox pad tbh.

I have fightpads for both consoles..... Was unable to make Sat but Doom could have brought them :)

ayjayirl wrote: »
    I have fightpads for both consoles..... Was unable to make Sat but Doom could have brought them :)

He plays on a regular Dual Shock 3 controller, which although looks very similar to a Dual Shock 2, it feels very different to use.

Regarding the vids guys I'm just gonna put them up next week, in this thread and then maybe we talk a bit more about all this.

Doom I've got all the footage on my HD now so I can give yea your card back.

It seems some of the player footage is missing though, the 1st bit of footage on the card is lep v doom so we're missing me/sarius v speedboat/hakan player and then a doom v a vega players reaction shots (kneecaps I assume).

But we have all the fights and all the other reaction shots from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Londons exceed team tournament has fixed teams, but that rule isn`t enforced, if one of the team members can`t make it anybody can play to make up the numbers.

I don`t mind either way, although having proper teams would be cool, am down for random select as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

yip thats me.

A Team tourny would work really well in a pub only one xbox would be needed and the crowd would know who to support and who to boo ( terry's team)

• Advertisement

Lads anyone know the name of the hakan player that was at the random team tourney?

There was 3 new guys in total, can people name them all actually?

Advertisement