Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costa Coffee Letterkenny Rip-off

• 31-05-2010 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I visited the Costa Coffee shop in Letterkenny (middle of car park opposite Halfords) last Friday evening. The place is a real rip off. Two coffees, two sandwiches and a hot chocolate cost more than €20 - and we we charged 50 cents for 3 of the pink/white marshmallows which came with the hot chocolate - they even had the nerve to have these listed seperately on the till receipt.
    We will certainly never go back there and will discourage everyone else we know from doing so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Were the prices not displayed on a large board behind the counter - was it a matter of life or death to call into Costa - you have gone elsewhere where the prices would be so much better.

So long as people will pay for the Costa experience they are gonna charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

If people were not willing to pay those prices, Costa would not be open at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ftnbase wrote: »
    I visited the Costa Coffee shop in Letterkenny (middle of car park opposite Halfords) last Friday evening. The place is a real rip off. Two coffees, two sandwiches and a hot chocolate cost more than €20 - and we we charged 50 cents for 3 of the pink/white marshmallows which came with the hot chocolate - they even had the nerve to have these listed seperately on the till receipt.
    We will certainly never go back there and will discourage everyone else we know from doing so.

all of them, not just the LK branch, generally are, as are most coffee shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks. I'll steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i went in there. It Costa wile lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

ftnbase wrote: »
    thats why i drink tea ,Coffee yukkkkk:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Costa Coffee prices are high all over the country. It is a good price to pay for a big mug of tetley tea and a little bar of quality chocolate though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

.17hmr wrote: »
    thats why i drink tea ,Coffee yukkkkk:D

lol; I am the opposite. but now have a wee camping stove in the car. Saves so much money.... And I can brew up in the most beautiful places.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Its probably a prime rent location and the cost of doing business in Ireland is quite serious - Rent Rates wages etc

If its a franchise the operators are probably paying for that too.

I can see why it is dear but this is a problem for lots of businesses in the South

Heard it is quite expensive and anyone I have heard went there never return due to cost.

Its a shame really, though I am still amazed at the amount of coffee shops etc in that area post celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Sounds like a real rip-off... if people are willing to pay those sort of prices, let them. There is better value to be found elsewhere in the town. I won't be going in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

They do a good quality Tetley Tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I always find the best tea to be the one you make yourself though.
    I don't know how they get away with being this expensive really.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

This thread should be renamed please , it's not fair to leave a statement like that on Boards for so long , Maybe a simple question like; Have you tried Costa Coffee ; would do now, its hard enough for businesses to survive without boards members rounding on them, Its good enough that you have warned us now and I thank you for that but Im sure the gossip mongers will do the rest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

puffdragon wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed please , it's not fair to leave a statement like that on Boards for so long , Maybe a simple question like; Have you tried Costa Coffee ; would do now, its hard enough for businesses to survive without boards members rounding on them, Its good enough that you have warned us now and I thank you for that but Im sure the gossip mongers will do the rest!!

But surely if the place is expensive then the title is very much appropiate is it not? it a recession for everyone including the people buying coffee!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

puffdragon wrote: »
    This is an internet discussion forum and while I understand your concerns the facts are that there has been nothing posted here that could be considered libelous or slanderous. In fact it's all fair comment and just like anyone else you have the right to reply to any of the comments made here.

You haven't eased your concerns by bumping this to the top of the pile with your post. The last post prior to that was 4 days ago and it would probably have slipped of the front page within a day or two at the most but for your own input.

I'm sorry but I don't see any reason to moderate this thread.

I stand by my post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

They do a nice bowl of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I've never been in that specific costa coffee, but i've been in the one in Derry. It was so over priced and fairly awful I swore I'd never go back to any of them.
    Why don't starbucks come to letterkenny? Much better coffee and prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kiddums wrote: »
    I've never been in that specific costa coffee, but i've been in the one in Derry. It was so over priced and fairly awful I swore I'd never go back to any of them.

Ken Horton is even better

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Generally agree with the comments but this post is just to make sure this thread stays on the front page for at least another few days. A small but significant display of 'people power'.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ken Horton is even better
    Ken Horton? Where can a body find them so I can try them out? They anywhere nearhand?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

It is expensive, but I am sure they are paying a lot of rent and it is a franchise. I only really drink the coffee which is really nice. But you could run up a bill in the place. If you don't like the price don't pay it. but I will pay for their coffee as I like it, as I am sure many others do. I would hate to see it go and I like it because it is well laid out and there is a lovely smell of coffee when you enter. I have used the place across from it as well, and I did not find it particularly cheap, but the food and coffee was good and the service was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I learnt my lesson in Costa Coffee in Sligo last Christmas when they charged me €4.75 for a large gingerbread latte. More like 'Costly Coffee'.

Was the price displayed on a large menu behind the counter ? because it is in letterkenny, I paid €5 60. for a large latte and a little square of oat-cake the other day but as the price was clearly displayed behind the counter I knew what I had to pay before I ordered, enjoyed it immensely the coffee was lovely and I'd gladly pay it again just to sit on that big brown sofa!! Yum Yum ,

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ftnbase

Whether prices are displayed or not is irrelevant. My point is that the prices being charged in this place are expensive and in my opinion they are a rip-off. I have no issue with the quality or the service - both are just as good as more reasonably priced coffee shops elsewhere in the country and in Letterkenny (but no better) - I paid half the price for a similar "meal" in Dublin (across from the Dail) two weeks ago - if rents etc. are an issue then it is time to negotiate with the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

kiddums wrote: »
    Oh god no ! Starbucks is horrible IMO. It just has the name that everyone knows. Even McD's coffee is better.

I'd personally like to see a place like those found in Italy that has no pretence and do an awesome coffee. I would also welcome the excellent prices and friendliness of the native staff.

Pique wrote: »
    Oh god no ! Starbucks is horrible IMO. It just has the name that everyone knows. Even McD's coffee is better.
    McD's coffee is some of the worst I've ever tasted. I like starbucks but I will agree there is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

ConsumerReports.org taste test was what I was referring to specifically, btw.

Starbucks wars
    Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for “double-caramel skim half-caf macchiato” before they’ve even had their jolt of joe, Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, and McDonald’s have been boosting their coffee cachet.
    McDonald’s Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to “wake up and smell your life” with a “richer, bolder” coffee; BK Joe suggests that you “wake up with the King”; Dunkin’ Donuts touts its usual coffee, but with more flavors and attitude. “My mouth can’t form these words,” customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy shop: Himan plu cento, for one.
    We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors, milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald’s beat the rest. Our trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest thing to a medium cup).

McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws.
    Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water. It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.
    Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks. It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin’ beans at home, you can make it stronger.)
    Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.

CR's take. Try McDonald’s, which was cheapest and best, or make your own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all only OK, but for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

What about the swing room or the new bread and butter place down there? ya know locl business instead of mutinationals (even though yes i know that it's mostly local people that work in there*)

*not a racist comment about foreign nationals i just mean sometimes they get managers from dublin etc to move up here to run them etc

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    ConsumerReports.org taste test was what I was referring to specifically, btw.

Starbucks wars
    Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for “double-caramel skim half-caf macchiato” before they’ve even had their jolt of joe, Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, and McDonald’s have been boosting their coffee cachet.
    McDonald’s Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to “wake up and smell your life” with a “richer, bolder” coffee; BK Joe suggests that you “wake up with the King”; Dunkin’ Donuts touts its usual coffee, but with more flavors and attitude. “My mouth can’t form these words,” customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy shop: Himan plu cento, for one.
    We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors, milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald’s beat the rest. Our trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest thing to a medium cup).

McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws.
    Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water. It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.
    Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks. It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin’ beans at home, you can make it stronger.)
    Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.

CR's take. Try McDonald’s, which was cheapest and best, or make your own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all only OK, but for different reasons.
    Well thats interesting. Ill have to give McD's another shot then. Last time I pretty much got water not coffee, but that was a few years ago now.
    danniemcq wrote: »
    What about the swing room or the new bread and butter place down there? ya know locl business instead of mutinationals (even though yes i know that it's mostly local people that work in there*)

*not a racist comment about foreign nationals i just mean sometimes they get managers from dublin etc to move up here to run them etc
    Yea I agree with you. I haven't tried those new places yet, but I am quite partial to the sandwich station at station roundabout, good food, good coffee and good value.

Advertisement