Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords Sportive Nxt Sun

• 31-05-2010 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

http://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/touring-page/swordscc-tour

Was a cracker of a spin last year. Fairly big crowd and fantastic weather. I believe some Boardsies only brought 1 gear last year. Great Tea stop. If we get anywhere near the decent weather we got last year it should be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

What does the 10 euro cover you for. Are drinks supplied on the route?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

billyhead wrote: »
    What does the 10 euro cover you for. Are drinks supplied on the route?

Entry fee covers the lunch stop with food and drinks . Also covers Ambulance cover.

Any excess monies after all expenses are deducted are donated to cancer related charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Is there a route for this anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

same as last year....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Might do that but not on the fixie this time ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Might do that but not on the fixie this time ...

Also don't take directions from BCMF :rolleyes:

RobFowl wrote: »
    :mad: bullocks.

bcmf wrote: »
    :mad: bullocks.

There were quite a few in the fields on your detour all right ....

why dont you make yerself useful and dig out a map for those who want one and get out and paint some arrows on the road.

bcmf wrote: »
    why dont you make yerself useful and dig out a map for those who want one and get out and paint some arrows on the road.

Too busy slagging you off on boards

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Will try do this if my legs aint shagged after saturdays spin, havent really done two long spins in consecutive days as yet.

Where is the food stop btw?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Will try do this if my legs aint shagged after saturdays spin, havent really done two long spins in consecutive days as yet.

Was in Bia in Drogheda last year not 100% sure this year though.
    Always done well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Well last year it was a coffee shop in Drogheda..... should have seen the staffs faces when we all arrived ...PRICLESS :D:D:D

Super event looking forward to it.

Kenny, I prob wont be doing the whole lot. Once we hit Julianstown I will prob head straight back for Balrothery.

@ bcmf - Cool well i ll see how the legs are at that stage and decide whether to continue on.

Anyone up for a spin tonight, should be leaving malahide at half 6 or so and up over nags head? maybe even 2-3 repeats although that maybe wishful thinking sitting here in my comfy office chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This was an excellent sportive last year. The lad on the motorbike did an excellent job at the junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Do you need to pre-register for this or just show up on the day?
    Also where is the 140km finish line?
    Looking at the map it seems to be north of Balbriggan, does it not start and finish at the same place?

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Do you need to pre-register for this or just show up on the day?
    Looking at the map it seems to be north of Balbriggan, does it not start and finish at the same place?

You can just show up on the day. Starts and finishes at Fingallains GAA club in Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I will be there. I remember missing all these (swords, mick byrne, etc.) last year and regretting it after seeing the photos.

It will also help me build up my long distance endurance, hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmm. Doing about 140km commute per week. Am I ready for the 160km? Best one-day I've done so far is about 70km...

yeah I wouldnt think it would be too much of a prob. If the same amount of people show up as last year the you will be sucked along if you place yourself right.Last year in the early stages I stopped for the call of nature (I wasnt far from the front) and the whole lot had jsut passed as I got back on the road.
    the first half is relatuvely flat as is the first section of the second half and after that a couple of small sharp climbs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,307 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

furiousox wrote: »

The finish is at the same place as the start. That additional stretch on the map is an error!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,307 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Hmm. Doing about 140km commute per week. Am I ready for the 160km? Best one-day I've done so far is about 70km...
    There's an 80k option - don't know the route, but presume it follows part of the 140k route

looking directly at Dirk...
    O'Connell Bridge Northbound.O'Connell St. Northbound.Swing up by the Rotunda (thats the northside version of Holles St).On to Dorset St which is effectivley the start of the N1.Go straight literally for miles.At whitehall church (big Church on the left at the start of M1) keep left into Santry (unless you wanna take the M1).Keep going straight.Go on past the airport and to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill (past Texaco petrol station).Keep going straight thru 1) Pavilions/malahide roundabout 2) next roundabout and at the next roundabout go around it past the main road and off to the left just around the corner on the left is Lawless Park aka Fingallions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What's the 80km route? It's not particularly clear from the mapmyroide! :D

Beasty wrote: »
    There's an 80k option - don't know the route, but presume it follows part of the 140k route

Yeah but the rest of ye will go on for the 140k and I'll look like a wuss...

Yeah but the rest of ye will go on for the 140k and I'll look like a wuss...
    So what more incentive do you need:D

If you've done 70k, you can do 160k - just take it easy, particularly in the first half. Your incentive then is to get back, and you'll make it (eventually!)

+1, 140k should be okay provided you get your fuelling strategy right, if you dont you ll likely bonk. Have a good breakfast, make sure to bring a sports drink and a banana and not just water and eat right at the stop. You should have no problems then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hoping to do this.

Raam wrote: »
    Hoping to do this.

Are you sure you have enough miles in your legs ;)

Are you sure you have enough miles in your legs ;)

Might do a lap of Howth as preparation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

What will the pace be like on this, particularly the 80km? I wouldn't hack the 140km, but 80km should be doable if there's a decent mix of abilities. My worry is that it would be basically full of club riders pushing from the start, followed by a big empty space, and then me...

What will the pace be like on this, particularly the 80km? I wouldn't hack the 140km, but 80km should be doable if there's a decent mix of abilities. My worry is that it would be basically full of club riders pushing from the start, followed by a big empty space, and then me...

Last year the roll out pace was nice and handy. It picked after lunch when the groups split for the different routes. Dunno how the 80km one panned out, but the 140km route had a few splits in it.

No doubt there will be club riders and some pushing on towards the end but swords has a touring section too who im sure will be taking it a little easier than the racers.

plus there are bound to be other people in your position, others coming back from injury and so on.

just go for it and you ll know one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I could be up for this (the 80k at least) -

havent been over 50km this year for various reasons (mainly laziness) so joining up with a 'slower' group could help me get into this year..

Will go for a spin this week to see how I go..!

BTW, what's the story with aerobars on the bike? I can't easily take mine off as I have auxiliary brake levers mounted on them. Will there be any issue with using them? Or will I just have to stay off them in groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hope to do the 140k. Should be handy*enough after the Mick Byrne 200k with 3000m of climbing last Sunday.

*(I'll probably regret saying that!)

BTW, what's the story with aerobars on the bike? I can't easily take mine off as I have auxiliary brake levers mounted on them. Will there be any issue with using them? Or will I just have to stay off them in groups?

Ideally they shouldn't be used in group spins, but I saw a few people with them last year. Just stay off them when in the group and you will be fine.

if people did this on fixies last year then you can get away with anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

By the way was on one of the roads of the route 10 days ago and they had temporary light at this point, it's on a down hill bit so people could have a bit of speed picked up so be careful if it's still there.

Bill there are a few different groups. Everyone starts off togerher and the main group will average 17-18mph ish for the first 60k. There is a touring section and they tend to go 13-14mph or so. Basically no-one gets left behind so go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

is the 80km route swords towards ratoth and up to duleek or does someone have a rough idea were it goes through.im doing 70km at the weekends around the north county so might as well hit the 80 km route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Hey, if it weren't for BCMF there'd probably still be two gearless eejits lost in the north county. It's fierce confusing up there.

I'll be bringing gears this time. Will there be a hammerfest?

niceonetom wrote: »
    Will there be a hammerfest?

Let's hope so :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Anyone have the 80km route?

This is the best I can figure out for the 80km route. Cant see how to get back to Swords from Drogheda in under 90km so its coming in at 90odd km.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/swords/589127547197586075

2nd half of the 160km ride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/swords/629127547355897659
    basically from what I can tell the first 60km are the same for both long and short rides

DISCLAIMER:
    Dont take this as gospel and go downloading to Garmins then go blaming me

Am I correct in assuming this is open to non-CC members?

I would be of the belief that if you have a tenner, a crash hat, a decent working bike then you are in. Not 100% sure whether CI membership is compulsory.Rob Fowl may or may not confirm

Am I correct in assuming this is open to non-CC members?

All welcome, the only stipulations are

1. Helmets are compulsory
    2. All participants must obey rules of the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement