Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options are there in Douglas - Cork?

• 31-05-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Just moving out there.

I'm currently with eircom but they are pretty pricey.

Who's good in Douglas? Does UPC supply the 15MB service there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I don't know if coverage is 100%, but I know people who live in Douglas and have UPC, so I expect the answer is yes. In general I'm pretty sure Douglas has the best broadband in Cork, whenever I see the schedules for upgrades they always seem to mention a ton of places in Dublin and then Douglas in Cork. No idea why just always seems to be the case.

My money would be with UPC, but feel free to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

thanks for that - I'm trying to phone them but I only have minutes here and there and can't wait in the phone queue.

will have to try again later.

UPC - what type of connection is it? wireless, over phone line, coax etc...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

dantastic wrote: »
    thanks for that - I'm trying to phone them but I only have minutes here and there and can't wait in the phone queue.

will have to try again later.

UPC - what type of connection is it? wireless, over phone line, coax etc...?

Douglas exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, so all eircom/vodafone etc. broadband packages up to 24Mb are available. UPC is also available, again all packages including 30Mb. UPC uses the coax cable that provides the TV service to provide broadband. Beware with UPC that if you don't take a bundle that includes the TV service, they charge you 7.75 euro extra per month, so standalone broadband would be the advertised price plus 7.75 euro extra. UPC website is www.upc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

douglasman, thanks for that.

With coax - If I'm in an apartment building that doesn't have UPC already there's cabling involved? Not sure that's going to fly with the landlord.

I will have to phone them I suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tommyhappy

Its disappointing that I cannot get UPC in Grange Douglas. House was built only 10 years ago and no fibre optic cables laid. I am with Eircom getting up to 8MB BB and paying €51 a month. On average I get 6.5 MB out of the 8 which i am happy with because I have heard of people getting 1-3 MB with Eircom. I lived in Blackrock and was paying UPC €47 a month for 50 MB broadband and was getting on average 42 MB on a bad day. Neither have a download limit which is good but it is disappointing to pay an extra €4 in Grange for 1/7th of the speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement